Anyone else have slow download speeds? unlimited silver 25

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
I am getting speeds of 1.10Mbps up to 1.70Mbps download and 0.55Mbps upload. It all started about a week ago. Cannot stream Netflix in the auto play back, even does it on the lowest setting they offer. I reset, restarted, turned upside down and stood on one leg with my tongue sticking out. Still nothing. Connected on wifi, direct to modem, wifi to asus router, all the same speeds. Disconnected all wireless devices besides laptop to test with.  ViaSat modem says everything is fine. Any ideas?
Photo of cliff joggerst

cliff joggerst

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Ethan F

Ethan F

• 71 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Viasat has oversold their service. Its congestion. I cant stream anymore either. They wont do anything about it. They could care less. As long as they get their $120 a month from me.
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I think your only solution is to cave in and do like viasat wants...pay for their TOP DOLLAR package or grow broke buying additional priemium data from them at their through the roof insane prices. or as ive done i have TRUELY UNLIMITED HIGH SPEED DATA FROM MY PHONE SERVICE VERIZON PRE PAID...I USE MY MOBILE HOT SPOT
Photo of cliff joggerst

cliff joggerst

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was with Hughesnet since 2002 and I switched to Viasat 1 year ago because of the unlimited. Hopefully they do something soon this is just nuts.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
It is just congestion from over sold service in your area combined with a lot of people being off work for the holidays.
Photo of Ray Hall

Ray Hall

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Same problem in SE Texas. 1.79 mbps download speed avg for past week. We were averaging 20+ mbps prior to December 20, 2018. Viasat has oversold their capacity at peak demand. Too many people on vacation streaming movies. Unfortunately we have no alternative.
Photo of Christine Conrad

Christine Conrad, Champion

• 269 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
It happens every year around the Christmas holidays. Too many new devices, people on vacation and streaming, and the kids are off school. It will ease up in a week or so.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes

Get the PlayOn Cloud.  Record streaming content to the cloud, then download that file to your computer.  Then add a Roku.  Stream from your computer to the Roku in 720p, regardless of plan.

This is a lot cheaper solution than paying Viasat more $$$ with a different plan.  And you won't have buffering and streaming issues.  Ideal solution?  No.  Is it a solution to solve the problem?  Yes. 

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1255 Reply Likes
Plus you will still be able to watch movies when the zombie apocalypse happens.
Photo of cliff joggerst

cliff joggerst

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I guess we will ride it out. I called Viasat today and was on hold for 23 minutes and gave up. I will try the PlayOn idea and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3959 Posts
  • 2375 Reply Likes
It works really, really well once you get it setup right. Takes a little configuring, but once it working you are set! And while not true HD video, no buffering and better than what the Bronze or Silver plans can deliver.

I have successfully used the PlayOn option with Amazon, Netflix, and HBO to Go. But it works with dozens of streaming platforms.

Questions? Just ask!
Photo of Rose DuBois

Rose DuBois

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was on hughesnet and had been very happy with ViaSat until about a week ago..really wish there was another alternative where I live
Photo of Ethan F

Ethan F

• 71 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Such a joke
Photo of cliff joggerst

cliff joggerst

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes it is.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes
For a 25Mbps "unlimited" plan, I understand the frustration.

Again, try out the alternative I suggested for streaming. I think you will be happy with it.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 269 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
You can stream at those speeds on Netflix just fine.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1196 Posts
  • 749 Reply Likes
Lots of new devices have come online over the last few days, and a lot of those new devices need sizable updates. 
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Do you have a life outside of excuse making for Viasat?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1255 Reply Likes
I don’t.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2344 Posts
  • 2053 Reply Likes
Image result for geek in basement
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes
Quit making Stephen look so good!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1196 Posts
  • 749 Reply Likes
Do you have a life outside of excuse making for Viasat?
No.  My sole purpose in life is to talk up an ISP I don't even have.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1255 Reply Likes
Sadly, that’s how I looked 20 years ago.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes
Just 20 years ago???
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1255 Reply Likes
I’m only 36 years old.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1196 Posts
  • 749 Reply Likes
Sportin' that teen stache that took five months to grow?  LOL.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1255 Reply Likes
Amen. I had a serious stache back when I was 18.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2898 Posts
  • 1833 Reply Likes
I am on a 12 Mbps Freedom plan. Normally in  the daytime, I get around 15 Mbps, evenings around 8 Mbps. On Christmas day, at 11 a.m. I was still getting 8, by 2 p.m. it was down to 4, and by evening, it varied between 1 and 2.5. Yesterday was a bit improved, but today it is back to around 12 Mbps. I have plenty of priority data left, but it was very obvious that the new devices, along with the people being off work and school, along with holiday visitors, that the network was being stressed. Nothing new, it happens every year during the holiday season.
Photo of AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• 40 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I've only been with ViaSat about six weeks, but as a Comm Tech since 1958 working every facet of it there is, I was aware before I signed on, that slow downs WILL occur in the evening hours.... and especially this week with the kiddies getting their little IT toys, and the bigger kids getting their big tablets and Super High Powered Game boxes, it is going to be slow..... it is 1930 hours as I type this, and ran this just a few minutes ago. I'm on the Bronze plan, bottom of the ladder, so I feel that ViaSat is doing pretty damn well, considering how much Network Congestion is going on right now.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes
It does. But this year appears to be better than past years. #progress
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2898 Posts
  • 1833 Reply Likes
VetSat,, you are correct that it seems better this year.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The VIASAT homers on here if they are real people and not paid shills are akin to someone who lives in Florida telling someone in Minnesota that it is sunny and 70 degrees in the middle of winter and questioning their claim they just got two feet of snow overnight.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3223 Posts
  • 1400 Reply Likes
More like long time customers being honest about our service. We just happen to read contracts and, the other information Viasat makes available to us and, have realistic expectations of our service.

I don't expect 25 Mbps 24/7 regardless of congestion, weather and what not. I expect an internet connection that will allow me to get email, load a web page and stream SD video 75%+ of the time. I expect latency of 600+ at all times and, I expect there will be times of heavy congestion on my beam that will totally tank my speed for a few hours, making streaming impossible. I expect to loose connectivity during storms at my home or, at my gateway and, I expect occasional (1-2 times per year) technical difficulties causing down time.

So no, I'm not going to complain when the expected happens. Now tank my speed for weeks on end and, yes, I will investigate, there is probably a problem that needs fixed. Maybe something I can do, maybe something Viasat needs to do at the office or gateway and, maybe I need a service call. I'll find it and do what's needed or, get the right person to do it.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 87 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
clean the snow off the dish.and your good too go western wisconsin here happy camper my speeds been good via sat makes my apple iMac happy oh what I payed for the iMac $$$
Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 100 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I have the Unlimited Bronze 12 service plan and have been getting on average 3.5 Mbps since the first of December. This is far below what I was told I could expect ( up to 12 Mbps. I have never seen anything even close to that speed and I have tested at all hours of the day many times over the month) when I "upgraded" to this plan. This is simply not right. I get my service through NRTC Rural Broadband here in Northern Michigan. I'll contact them tomorrow and try to find out what is causing this. I, as so many others feel as though we are being cheated by VIASAT and nothing that is said on here like the derogatory, demeaning comments of Bev and other "Champions" is going to make these problems go away. And there are real problems here.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3959 Posts
  • 2375 Reply Likes
I am afraid there is not much you can do. Your NRTC provider will say they will look at a few things, but nothing will change.
Photo of mike barber

mike barber

• 100 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
 I have spoken to the NRTC folks many times and they are so considerate, knowledgeable and helpful. This last time they "went through" my modem looking for problems, gave me the phone number my router supplier with suggestion of what to ask them for and helped me make various download tests using the testing website they use. It helped my download speed. They also told me that if my download speed drops again to call them (they are available 24/7), don't reset the modem or router since they want to begin to monitor the status of my modem as the problems occur. As I have told them repeatedly, it is such a pleasure to talk to a company that actually takes me seriously, makes an effort to try to solve my  problems and is respectful and polite with absolutely no attempt to blame me because I didn't "read my contract" or "well it's your equipment and we can't do anything about that" or "well, you must have other devices in your home that are causing the problem".

So nice to be appreciated as a person who is paying money for their service. Treated as a "customer", one of the group of people that makes their business  possible.  IMAGINE THAT!
Photo of AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• 40 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
this is on Bronze, we are north of Tulsa, OK about 30 miles.

1930 hours when this was done

we are night owls, and after midnight, we get much better speeds.
This is from my Note 4 cellphone on 5g while the working crowd is still taking their showers.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1193 Posts
  • 744 Reply Likes
I saw 5G and I thought... geez, already?  LOL.  I then realized you meant 5Ghz WiFi, not 5G cell service.  

I need another coffee.  :)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 269 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
The first 5G is out. From att and like their first 4G it’s not really 5G. Performance is about 5% higher then Lte.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3223 Posts
  • 1400 Reply Likes
Of course it's beam and, time of day dependent, that's what peak hours congestion is all about. few, if any of us are going to see top speeds day in and day out during peak hours, regardless of priority data remaining. If speeds are ALWAYS in the basement, even at times of minimal congestion, like everyday at 5-7 AM, continuously, then you may very well have a problem that Customer care should be looking into.

That can range form a failed firmware update to alignment, to corroded connectors, to pin holes in the cable somewhere and, more. I've seen it all on my system over the last 15 years and, every time, a technician has managed to find and, correct the problem. That is a lot of why I see the higher speed routinely - I am not afraid to call, chat and, email until I get help resolving issues and, if need be get a technician out here to peak and tweak the whole set up.

Yes, front line support can be annoying, power cycle, reboot, check computer settings, wait for someone to check account setting, etc... I know that but, patience and persistence pays off. Work through the steps and, levels of support. You know you've done it but, Viasat needs to see it happen as you're communicating with support to diagnose and, find a solution to the problem.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
If your area is too congested you aren't getting good speeds no matter what you do, that is fact. That is all on VIASAT for over selling the service. I didn't give a crap about high speeds, if I could have had 1-2 mb constantly without any drop out I would have been happy, it did not even live up to that. It wasn't even reliable for e-mail and ordering business supplies. 2 minute tasks could take hours because of dropped service even on days where it wasn't raining or snowing.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 340 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
I looked at https://www.playon.tv/cloud as explained earlier.  Can you only use it if you have a smart phone ?

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3959 Posts
  • 2375 Reply Likes
To queue up content to record in the PlayOn Cloud, you need a smart phone or tablet.  A $30 Walmart tablet would work fine. 

You could also try to run an Android emulator on the computer, but I don't think that would be worth the hassle.

Once you record the content, you can view it on your tablet, mobile device, OR download to your computer.  Once on your computer, you can install the Plex Media Server (combined with a Roku if you don't have a smartv with one built-in), and stream all the content you downloaded from the PlayOn Cloud.

Again, it takes a little work to get setup.  But once you do, you are good to go!
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Pure comedy here, the VIASAT homers who are lucky enough to live in an area served by an uncongested beam act like they are smarter than everyone else and get speed and reliability that they do from their own efforts, and not because of their location. Pretty sad that their VIASAT internet being better than the average customer is a big part of their lives.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
As I recall you posted a Zip Code indicating you were in or around Beaverdam placing you on the same Viasat-1 beam I'm on. I get the advertised speeds and reliability (no constant drop outs as you indicate) making it all the more frustrating in figuring out what's really happening. Even peak usage periods are bearable for now. But you've moved on from Viasat... so no sense in comparing how I'm setup to your setup at this point.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Just for shits and giggles where are you at Old Labs? I am an A level do it you selfer,.I cleaned & reconnected everything numerous times with electronic cleaner using new cables, etc,etc.The service never worked here, it was worse than 1994 dial up.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I also had techs out 3 times. It never worked right and seemed to get worse as time went by. That would seem to indicate over selling in my area if the equipment always passed the tests that were done remotely and on site. There have always been a lot of VIASAT ads on my local TV stations and there are 3rd party contractors advertising VIASAT on roadside signs all over the place.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3963 Posts
  • 2386 Reply Likes
When I have traveled through western Virginia, I have seen a ton of Viasat signs. You definitively have some dealers in your area that market the crap out of Viasat.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
Fredericksburg area  - same Viasat-1 beam as you were/are on - 329. Never saw Viasat-2 plans. Viasat-1 was recently reopened to new customers after some 6-7 months absence and now offering Liberty Plans to new customers(I assume Viasat-1 but you never know until the actual install I guess so maybe things will start to degrade once again as they load the beam up).

Suspect I know the retailer you dealt with, had his folks out one time in an emergency - never again and simply wait on my regular guy who's much further away but knows what he's doing. All installers are not created equally - lesson learned. I keep my installer's number on speed dial. I call him directly as needed/warranted, pay him directly, and it's a win, win for both of us - I get my problem fixed and he gets paid fairly.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 64 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Coming back from the country store here on a one mile stretch of the drive there were 3 signs advertising "SUPER FAST INTERNET" if you go to the site they are selling VIASAT. In that same one mile stretch there were 3 houses. VIASAT is being aggressively marketed here even though the service is terrible because of over congestion. I seriously wonder how bad service must be when they finally stopped selling in areas that VIASAT deemed too congested.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same here right now. Pretty sure it’s just cause of the Christmas holidays. I expect it to get better once all the kids go back to school, and I’ll see my 30 mbps internet return.