Anyone else get the "Invitation To Upgrade " email?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Pretty hilarious. Even if they were giving it away for free, there is no way I would commit to another 24 month agreement with this sorry excuse for a company!
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I did, but I’m happy to see the plans offered to existing customers first. Not interested at this point in time though.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Aren't the Viasat-2 plans in a lot of locations actually worse in terms of price, speed, and priority data than what an existing customer would have now?
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
So I have to post this. I was under the assumption that in getting the email new plans (ViaSat 2) were being offered to me. After wading through the automation, I finally got a rep. I can upgrade to gold 30 on the same satellite.

$150 base price.
This makes no sense.
(Edited)
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
This is why I din't bother to follow up on my invitation, I figured no one would know what it's about and you could spend hours getting the runaround just to find out it's no good anyway! And as I said there is no way I would sign up for 2 more years!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
The guy who finally answered seemed unaware any special invitations were sent out.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Gee, imagine that! What a surprise (not)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
You wouldn't commit to 24 months of free internet? Wow.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Perhaps they are hoping for a better deal if they play hard-to-get 

Andy
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
It will have to be a better deal to get me to change plans. It's insane to pay more for less and, that's the options here right now.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I might consider it if they paid me, otherwise NO!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
The real problem is no one knows what is going to happen to Viasat 2 with the antenna issue and insurance claim.

If they leave things alone, it's good in certain areas. If they attempt to redeploy the antennas, it could either work and make the thing awesome, or something else could go wrong and crash the whole thing.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I got the email and called, and I'm seriously considering switching from my current silver plan to the new gold one even though the priority data would go down from 150 GB to 100 GB. Why would I do that?

1. The speeds on the new satellite should be a lot higher;
2. The new satellite shouldn't have any congestion for quite awhile;
3. I have used over 100 GB only in one month since I've had the new plan;
4. It's about $10 cheaper; and
5. I have a year to go on my current plan, so assuming that they start the 2-year clock over when they get the new install done, that's really only one more year than I'm already committed to.

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
What are the details for those not receiving the email? Are they different than the details for new customers? It's gotten to the point where we can't tell the plans without a scorecard.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Steve, you must be in a location where you are paying $150/month for Silver? That plan at that amount was overpriced from the start! If that is the case, and you can get Gold for $150 versus $200, I could see why you woukd make the move.

I just don't know how many people shelled put $150+ for a standard resolution video plan where others got Gold for the same plan (insert my rant now on the ridiculous pricing scheme from one zip code to the next).
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes

The usual Hype:

You’re invited to be one of the very first customers to get our best service on our new satellite.

As one of our best Viasat Internet (formerly Exede) customers, we’d like to extend a special offer just for you: you may be eligible to upgrade now to the latest technology on our brand new satellite. 

Here are 2 reasons you should consider upgrading now:

1. Faster speeds.   With the fastest service plan download speeds we have offered anywhere, connecting multiple devices has never been easier -- there is no substitute for fast download speeds.

2. More powerful Wi-Fi. Our latest modem comes with built-in Wi-Fi, and it’s our most powerful wireless internet yet. It provides wider coverage than anything we’ve offered before – and it’s only available with our newest satellite internet equipment.

Upgrading is as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Call our Customer Upgrade Hotline at 877-711-0035 to check your eligibility. We’ll explain which plans are available and help you select what’s best for your home. 
  2. There are no upfront fees required for upgrading - all you need to do is sign a new customer agreement with a 24-month minimum service term.
  3. Schedule a new installation - our technician will come out to your home, upgrade your equipment, and connect to your new Wi-Fi network.   This part is easy, but there must be an adult at home for the installation.

Upgrade to faster satellite internet – call 877-711-0035 now!

Call now: Our plan consultation team will help you confirm your eligibility and find a new data plan that's right for you and your family.

Sincerely yours, 

The Viasat Internet Team

P.S. This special upgrade invitation is just for you as one of our most valued customers. Call and upgrade today! (Please don’t forward this email to anyone else – they may not be eligible.)

Viasat Internet is high-speed internet beamed directly to your home from our satellites in space. This means you can get a fast internet connection where you live – almost anywhere in the United States.

On the Unlimited Bronze 12, Silver 25, Gold 50, and Platinum 100 service plans, after 40, 60, 100, or 150 GB of data usage, respectively, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion. Minimum 24-month service term. Monthly service fee, equipment lease fee and taxes apply. Speeds are “up to,” are not guaranteed and will vary. Service is not available in all areas. Promotion available only to select Viasat Internet customers in limited areas. Offer may be changed or withdrawn at any time. Viasat and the Viasat logo are trademarks of Viasat, Inc.

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
(Please do not forward this email to anyone else)

They forgot to mention copying and pasting it on their own forum didn't they LOL

Andy
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I didn't get one, I think they know better than to send me a beg to pay more for less LOL.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I didn't get one either. My question, is that mail really from Viasat or is it from one of the dealers, like those on Facebook offering fantastic internet deals to anyone?

Either that, or Bev and I aren't "valued" customers, having been with the Wildblue/Exede/Viasat internet service for well over 10 years.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Thanks.

It looks suspicious, since Viasat would not be using and Exede address, and the @info.viasat.com raises red flags too.

It would be interesting to hear from on of the Viasat moderators about this. 
(Edited)
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm paying $150/month for silver with a 150 GB priority data allotment.

I'm fine with that as long as the service is good, which I can say it has been since I signed up for this plan.

Note: I previously had an Exede system that wasn't nearly as good and had paid a cancellation fee to end it, on the theory that I could get a hotspot that would do the job. That theory turned out to be wrong, so I'm happy that Viasat seems to have pretty reliable service on this beam at this point.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Yes, I'm paying $150/month for silver with a 150 GB priority data allotment.

I'm fine with that as long as the service is good, which I can say it has been since I signed up for this plan.

Note: I previously had an Exede system that wasn't nearly as good and had paid a cancellation fee to end it, on the theory that I could get a hotspot that would do the job. That theory turned out to be wrong, so I'm happy that Viasat seems to have pretty reliable service on this beam at this point.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yea. If you can get gold for $150 and don t use over 100GB, a switch makes sense. The only thing I would be cautious about is some of the issues that have been reported abput Viasat-2 in certain areas.
Photo of Lizzie

Lizzie, Viasat Official Rep

• 46 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi everyone, 

This email was a marketing piece sent to specific customers who qualify for certain ViaSat-2 beams, based on their location. As always, not all offers and plans are available in all areas. You are all valued customers, and are welcome to check your account to see if ViaSat-2 plans are available in your area if you wish to upgrade. If you have any questions about potentially upgrading, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our Corporate Social Care team at viasatlistens@viasat.com.
(Edited)

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
Lizzie, thank you for the clarification.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 186 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I actually got it in a text message. There are V2 plans in my zip, but I'm satisfied with my Bronze Unlimited 12 on V1. I don't think I have line of sight for V2 anyway, too many trees.