Any updates on IPv6 support?

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • In Progress
I was wondering if anyone knew what the status is of IPv6 support? If not supported yet, if there is any sort of a timeline? I did a quick search but didn't find any recent information.
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 213 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes

Posted 7 days ago

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Welcome to this IPv6 Website

Test your IPv6 connectivity.  - Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 211 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I don't think viasat plans to support it at all.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 435 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: I don't think viasat plans to support it at all.

It's supported at web site access level

In this cyber war-fare era, its best to not have a direct IPv6 address.  With IPv6 address, all of those larger e-sellers/intel will know all about your surfing/buying habits.  With IPv6 address, they know who you are.

With IPv4, if you trash those cookies/LSOs stored daily, and change your dynamic IP address from time to time, they don't know Jack Schmitt

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Hello Joshua,  Viasat does not support IPv6 at this time.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I believe it is supported at web surfing level, not at the hardware device (aka modem).

I cited a IPv6 site above...it works for me.

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Jab, thank you for providing a link for IPv6.  According to our network team, Viasat does not support it at this time.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Diana:

There is a difference between hardware based IPv6 support (aka modem), and IPv6 web browsing support.

So, I goto this site: IPv6 Enabled WWW Web Sites List

and click on these sites:

1.  he.net

2.  www.ipv6ready.org

and both come up. Now, if I go to this site,

3.  https://www.julienth37.fr/

and then goto this site which verifies, I get this below, which highly suggests its a IPv6 enabled site.

Now, I am not using Viasat's DNS server.  I am using Quad9, which [Wiki] "is a not-for-profit public-benefit organization supported by IBM, Packet Clearing House, Global Cyber Alliance, and many other cybersecurity organizations for the purpose of operating a privacy-and-security-centric public DNS resolver.

Unless something else is going on, I believe ViaSat's equipment can fetch IPv6 sites.
Photo of Joshua

Joshua

• 213 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Hi Jab,

The sites you have listed also have IPv4 addresses, and my guess is you are accessing them via their IPv4 address. You can use a packet sniffing tool such as Wireshark to confirm this. Here are my DNS results, I am using Cloudflare's DNS over HTTPS servers.

Name:    he.net
Addresses:  2001:470:0:76::2

Name:    www.ipv6ready.org
Addresses:  2606:4100:3880:1250::100

Name:    julienth37.fr
Address:  80.11.171.242
Aliases:  www.julienth37.fr

Warm regards,
Joshua

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Google Says -

No problems detected. You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support.

Then, I came across this site:  IPv4/IPv6 test page

Hey, you want IPv6?  Here you go: No IPv4, only IPv6 (google, youtube, facebook, apple, work; microsoft, amazon, most others don't)

I guess we are missing out, 98.01% of sites on Cloudflare now use IPv6, but I haven't noticed yet

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Jab,  thank you for the information.  This is very helpful.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Diana:

Could you fetch ViaSat's network "Gurus" and have them read these snippets?

Access Server ipv6 from a ipv4 only network

What can SixXS do for an ISP?  SixXS gives an ISP an easy and costless way to deliver IPv6 connectivity to their customers who are connected using IPv4

Do remember, "Viasat is the global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected."

Well, let's get connected to IPv6...Right?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3579 Posts
  • 2092 Reply Likes
I would take better speed and data allowance on IPv4 vs. worrying about something many customers could care less about.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: better speed

Analysis of Packet Transmission Overhead of IPv4 and
IPv6 through Simulation

"Because of the larger MTU size and reasons given above, IPv6 offers higher throughput compared to IPv4"

Footnote - IPv6, all links must handle a datagram size of at least 1280 bytes," and Viasat's WiFi Gateway is to be set at 1200 to 1500 MTU range, if manually configured.  I believe previous modems are capable of 1500 MTU.

RE: data allowance

IPv6 header has additional address bits than IPv4, but if a tunnel setup existed, with Viasat only counting packets sent to customer, Viasat could eat this overhead...its rather doubtful their side would be overloaded since there are fewer requests for IPv6 sites.

I use two different wireless carriers, and I know one of them has an embeded IPv6 address that I can see....I'll have to try both later with that test page given above, but I read: Verizon Wireless requires IPv6 for all LTE handsets, but Verizon FIOS is AWOL on IPv6. - IPv6 is recommended for VoLTE so I'd expect the majority of 4G networks to do v6 for data.

If IPv6 is required for VoLTE, then those using WiFi for calls on Viasat must be tunneling, like via IPSec for AT&T.  MTU must be set to 1500, and three data ports must be opened.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3579 Posts
  • 2092 Reply Likes
Oh well that's good to know.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 434 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
RE: " Australia's leading provider of mobile phones, mobile devices, home phones and broadband internet."

Telstra claims success with IPv6 on mobile network

RE: good to know

Everything Viasat needs to know is found here via Internet Society (The Internet Society was founded in 1992 by a number of people involved with the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).

6 June 2013 - Making Content Available Over IPv6

Hey, if they got the time to create their web browser, and if they claim "Viasat is the global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected," well its about time to engage IPv6.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3579 Posts
  • 2092 Reply Likes
Sure do miss some features from the old forum...
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2819 Posts
  • 1780 Reply Likes
So do I! 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3579 Posts
  • 2092 Reply Likes
DSL Reports still has the feature!