Any new solutions to poor WiFi calling?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Compared to WiFi calling using my old DSL connection, ViaSat WiFi calling is inferior.  I still have my DSL internet hooked up, so I can switch between WiFi calling using DSL and the ViaSat system that was installed Monday.  Although my WiFi signal registers as strong, the signal with ViaSat breaks up, and having a conversation is impossible.  Making a call in the same place in the house, my old DSL system provides a better cell signal.  My ViaSat router is closer to the center of the house than my DSL router, and there are no obvious sources of interference.  My cell provider is ATT, and I am using an iPhone Xr.  There are several threads about this issue dating back 2 years and I am wondering if others are still having this problem and what new solutions exist.  TIA for any help you can provide.
Photo of Michael Stano

Michael Stano

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Being on VS-1 or VS-2 may make a difference, but on augmented beams, maybe not.

What is Wi-Fi calling, and does it work on satellite internet?

I've got WiFi calling ability, but I never tried it on the augmented beam I'm on.
Photo of Michael Stano

Michael Stano

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@ Jab: Thanks for your reply.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
From your location, if Viasat's phone service is available, then you are using VS-1 satellite.  If using Viasat's WiFi modem, you are on VS-1.

I have heard of people using VS-1 via WiFi calling, but I don't recall which wireless carrier they were on.

If your data bucket is not empty, VZW or T-Mobile might work better than AT&T....YMMV.  Either AT&T is not assembling your packets in order, or they are eliminating packets due to high latency, or Viasat's WiFi modem may be an issue.

If using Viasat's WiFi modem, it might be better to have it in bridge mode, and use a router.
Photo of Michael Stano

Michael Stano

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jab, I am stuck (at least for now) with ATT; the WiFi calling comments from 2 years ago largely focused on problems with ATT.  While I appreciate what you have written, some of it is above my head!  If I can't find a solution inside ViaSat, I may wind up keeping ViaSat for internet use, and CenturyStink for WiFi calling on DSL (and back up when ViaSat is down).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Why did you get Viasat when you had DSL? I don't even have DSL and I am getting rid of Viasat after having it for years.

I am just curious why people get it.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Stano

Michael Stano

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I live in a rural area in North Carolina.  In NC, ISPs are given a monopoly to provide service in established territories.  I can't get internet from any provider except Centurylink (aka, CenturyStink), and because bringing cable or fiber to me isn't profitable, the only service they provide to my house is DSL.  The service is unreliable and my download speeds never get above 4MBPS; upload speeds are typically .4MBPS.  I felt satellite internet was my only option to escape the 3rd World service I was otherwise stuck with.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
You think satellite internet is better than that? Mine certainly wasn't. I would have loved to get those speeds you ate getting with DSL.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 755 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
You'll be more satisfied with the slower DSL than Viasat. I'd take a 4Mbps DSL connection over satellite any day. That being said, WiFi calling works fine over my Viasat connection with Google Fi. Only the slight delay is noticeable due to satellite's high latency, but it isn't a big deal.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Shout out to you FMJ. Imagine a fellow NC resident thinking he has 3rd world internet with those speeds. Some people have to find out the hard way. Anyhow, I ditch my Freedom plan next week. No, I am not switching plans like Viasat wants people to do, I am dropping them altogether. Thought it was great to get Freedom, but now that they are purposely delivering slow speeds to Freedom plan customers and any customers with 150GB of priority, I want nothing to do with them anymore. They could have made plan modifications to not punish a segment of customers if they wanted to.

If wireless doesn't work for me, back to Hughesnet I go.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet...you might want to re-evaluate your Viasat plan, before taking the leap.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Nope.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 755 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
@VetSat, I don't blame you for being pissed off at Viasat. I'm pretty upset as well, but I don't have any other options so I'm staying on my Freedom plan. I can switch to various Liberty or Unlimited plans but they all have less priority data. I've adjusted my schedule to off-peak hours and so far I can still do pretty much what I did before the policy changes went into effect.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 755 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
@VetSat, I don't blame you for being pissed off at Viasat. I'm pretty upset as well, but I don't have any other options so I'm staying on my Freedom plan. I can switch to various Liberty or Unlimited plans but they all have less priority data. I've adjusted my schedule to off-peak hours and so far I can still do pretty much what I did before the policy changes went into effect.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I can't even get Liberty plans here. Just their crappy "unlimited" plans. At least with Liberty I could get a free zone back.

Anyhow, by dumping Viasat I will save money, so I thank them for that!
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I went through about two different internet phone services that did not work on my viasat internet.  I then disabled my internal router, used a better stand alone router and used Lingo services.  I still have latency, but not all the time.  My calls are fairly clear, sometimes I have some background noise, but 90% of the time it's okay.  Before that I used Pioneer and Voipo. Neither worked for me.  The lingo phone is plugged into the back of my viasat modem (on viasat 1).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Might try this test: https://www.voipreview.org/speedtest

Latency would be the kicker if a wireless carrier does not assembled all packets.  But again, I know WiFi does work, but I don't recall which carrier.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 119 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I have used Wifi Calling feature many many times & know many who use it daily.
Positively not as good as a regular cell or landline call due to latency but is wonderful if you have neither.

Satellite internet / calling services will never ever compare favorably to a land based service unless the landbased is very poor or unavailable.