Another hack attack-HELP!

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Another hack attack. I must say this is getting tiresome. After the migration, my e-mail was instantly hacked. It appears that everyone on my mailing list received the same bad message "fw:important." On the advice of Wildblue staff, I changed my password, not just once, but TWICE. Now the same kind of hack attack happened today. Floods of e-mails went out from my e-mail, all with that same heading. Many were returned as undeliverable so that was my first clue. Then I started getting alert e-mails from friends as well as a number of phone calls. I am getting just a little tired of this. Need some help.....PLEASE.
Photo of Mette Hammer

Mette Hammer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 986 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Sounds like a virus on your computer. ???
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1597 Posts
  • 922 Reply Likes
Or machine is a spam-bot.  Get a network monitor that shows all connections such as Net-Peeker, available as "trial-ware" so you can use it for 30 days and either buy it or don't, at least you can see who is connected to your computer.

Get it HERE.
Photo of Mette Hammer

Mette Hammer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a chrome box so there should not be a possibility of a virus. There is no hard drive. Wildblue folks, please help.
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
spyware on your computer your computer has been set up as a spambot those emails are originating from your computer I'm not sure what you mean by chromebox but anything that connects to the internet is susceptible to viruses unless you have antivirus software or a Macintosh
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2940 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes
 I'm going to have to agree with our Champions with this.  You'll probably want to run a scan. It sounds very much like Spyware/malware. Spyware/malware can affect anything that goes online (phones, smartwatches, ect) . There are a lot of great 3rd party programs you can use to remove them (obviously I can't recommend or endorse anything that's not by us as an Exede employee, but I'm sure someone can weigh in on what's best to use.)
Photo of Mette Hammer

Mette Hammer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I thought the advantage of having a Chromebox was that everything is on the Internet. There is no hard drive to highjack. Nothing is stored on a computer. Can someone explain what type of 3rd party program to use then?
Photo of angela brooks

angela brooks

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Get Norton Security Deluxe. You can use this for any type of device Chromebook,Mac,PC,Android, IPhone etc. You can use this for up to five devices. They can too help with your computer also by safely removing the virus. They can also do a remote session on your computer to help with the problem while you watch. www.norton.com
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 986 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Mette - OK, Chromebook virus is very unlikely.  Maybe your contacts list was exposed somehow to a spammer. That's why changing your password has no affect. Hopefully (?) it will die off in a few days.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
There are a few malware or virus that can be resident in RAM memory and, I do recall one several years ago that took up residence in the ROM. I would suggest an online virus scan at the least. here is a good one that's free to use.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
Photo of angela brooks

angela brooks

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Also Avg and Webroot are good ones as well. I don't like McAfee
Photo of Susan D Penney

Susan D Penney

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like

I am having the same thing happen as well, exact same situation!  I too was told my computer had malware, Trojan, etc., That said, there wasn't much of an answer when I advised I had logged directed into the wildblue email website from TWO different computers in the two different events......Something is wrong with this situation.  Not new to internet, nor not a new user of computers. 

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
This is very very common. After reading through the thread it is most likely that someone who might have a similar list of contacts as you -or- your contacts have been exposed somehow. What happens is a spam program will send emails to all those contacts with your reply address, however it probably isn't your computer or account sending them. Because your address is set as the reply you are getting the bounced messages and people think they are coming from you.

While a virus on a Chromebook isn't likely, it doesn't mean it's impossible. Make sure your passwords are complex enough that they are not easy to guess or crack.

If they aren't coming from your account or computer, there isn't much you can do about them unfortunately.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Even cell phones need protection these days. I have Onavo Protect on my iPhone and, yesterday, when I went for car repairs and used the WiFi at the dealer, I got hit with three attacks in two hours that Onavo prevented form storing data on my phone.

Even Apple devices are not immune anymore, need protection period.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.