Amazon Cloudfront

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
I noticed that a substantial ( approx 1 GB) unexpected download occurred overnight to my Windows 7 PC. My Asus router attributed this to Amazon CloudFront. I know of nothing from Amazon that was downloaded.
I no longer subscribe to Glasswire so I am stumped as to what could have triggered this.
I did not download any video, audio, or stream.
I am on the Liberty 12 plan so an unexpected GB download is significant to me.
Windows 7 is still pushing out updates and my Windows Update folder says that a 311 MB update awaits download. My Windows Update history indicates that no Windows 7 update has occurred on my PC during November.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what applications use Amazon Cloudfront?
PS. My Windows 10 computer has similar issues but I will deal with that later. I do not seem to have these problems with my iPad.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
From a google search sounds like Cloudfront is peer to peer distribution.

CloudFront delivers your content through a worldwide network of data centers called edge locations. When a user requests content that you're serving with CloudFront, the user is routed to the edge location that provides the lowest latency (time delay), so that content is delivered with the best possible performance.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com › latest
What Is Amazon CloudFront? - Amazon CloudFront
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
It's a content delivery network used by any number of applications including the browser web sites  and any other web enabled applications. It's used for just about anything that may be bulky by any number of vendors. Common practice for major sites and applications to leverage content delivery networks for bulk items - video, media, files, updates, etc. Amazon is but one CDN. 

Your router only knows you're going against Amazon Cloudfront web services, not which web site or application is using it. For that you need to track at the operating system level using something like Glasswire. I keep the Glasswire free version around for that purpose - detail at the operating system level (or Windows device)   

Even then, it can be a daunting task to determine exactly who/what is using Amazon's web services. Sometime the domain name  may not even indicate an amazon domain - and you have to drill down to the owner of the IP address for that domain.    
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2255 Posts
  • 1380 Reply Likes
I keep the Glasswire free version around for that purpose - detail at the operating system level (or Windows device)   
You can't beat it.  I have it on all three of my Windows PCs.  It's come in very handy on more than one occasion. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
If peer to peer something could be being uploaded to wherever, not downloaded.