Am I ever going to be able to get truly unlimited data, without video quality restrictions, at a reasonable price with satellite?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I've been so excited to see what plans Viasat would roll out with the new satellite. I just saw them today and... I'm pretty disappointed. I know how spoiled that makes me sound complaining about a billion dollar piece of equipment sending movies and music videos to me from space. But what can I say, I got completely spoiled with cable when I lived in the city. The "Unlimited" plans sound great, but after considering the video quality restrictions, it makes me not even want to switch from my old cruddy Liberty 12 plan. At least then I can see a good quality video as long as I'm under my data cap. I certainly don't want to pay $150 for the HD quality plan just to have it throttled at 100 GB. I would only pay that much if it allowed me to cancel my Directv, but 100 GB isn't enough to let that happen. I was just wondering if it's possible for satellite to ever offer truly unlimited internet, without any throttling or video quality restrictions, at a reasonable price.
Photo of Kyle

Kyle

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Probably between 2021-2024 when they launch first two viasat 3 satellites
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 78 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Likely not. Not in the nearest future. There has to be some kind of sacrifice when it comes to satellite. Right now how they have it is a compromise to give others what they truly want. More data and more room for streaming, but at a lower quality.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3631 Posts
  • 3618 Reply Likes
The new plans showing up today are those being offered on Viasat-1 not the new satellite, Viasat-2. Stay hopeful but realistic, although the definition of "unlimited" probably won't change - but with possibly different prioritization thresholds, base speeds, and the addition of 1080P to the mix and be prepared to pay with the same qualifier I've been adding since September when all of the rampant speculation started... temper your expectations. As TheCatWillStrike suggests. satellite internet is saddled with some pretty devere disadvantages right now. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2049 Posts
  • 1767 Reply Likes
It is truly amazing that we are saying 100GB is not enough on a satellite internet.  How soon we forget.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3631 Posts
  • 3618 Reply Likes
Amen, brofessor... but we're into more, not to mention severe disadvantages ;).
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1676 Posts
  • 992 Reply Likes

Since Viasat does not charge us to change our plan, I think these new plans are subject to improvement over time as conditions improve on Viasat-1.  We can change later as more appealing plans evolve.

Photo of Kyle

Kyle

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
100 GB wouldn't be enough for us if we made internet the main source of media in the house by completely doing away with DirecTV and drastically decreasing our mobile plan. Which is what it would take to afford a $160 a month internet bill. You guys are right, it was ignorant of me to think that Viasat-2 would take me back to the good ol days of cable internet. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take the family fishing rather than stream Netflix all day.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 190 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I don’t think you were wrong to have expectations like that. You probably were not - and am not - correct, but it is perfectly understandable that you had such expectations. Go back and read the marketing posts which ViaSat published when VS-2 was launched, not to mention many of the comments posted by many right here in these forums. Expectations such as yours were cultivated, nourished and nursed to full fruition.

There’s a significant gap between what was touted as possible - even realistic - thanks to VS-2 and what’s been presented to this point. I continue to hold out hope that another shoe will drop, but given the pricing of the under-whelming new unlimited plans, I fear that even if the as-yet-unseen VS-2 plans close that gap, the pricing will be out of reach of most.

Hopefully the options which showed up today aren’t the full story - hopefully it will all become clear soon - and hopefully the options made available will truly represent a bridging of the digital gap, accompanied by fair and affordable pricing.
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
i am unsure why there would be so many people seeing new plans today and yesterday that werent there before if they are going to unveil the new vs2 plans "very soon"
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1075 Posts
  • 346 Reply Likes
The answers are yes, yes, and no. Probably not too far in the future. Far enough though :(.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2070 Posts
  • 1015 Reply Likes
What you are asking for is available right now. Sign up for a business plan.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1068 Posts
  • 345 Reply Likes
Easy. The man with the $50 plan out calling the $299 plan reasonable.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2070 Posts
  • 1015 Reply Likes
He is crying for pure 24/7 unlimited. It is available if he wants to pay the price.

My Liberty plan is unlimited as well, just isn't high speed all of the time after using up the 12 GB of priority data.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 280 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
I hope the V2 plans are more appealing,  a better value then the first go around of new V1 plans,, because if they aren't i can't see any V1 people switching over to V2, new contract, leasing etc.,  and then the congestion will remain on the V1 beams.

IIts early, i guess, but i am not impressed.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Business plan pricing that I see doesn't meet his requirements.
On unlimited data plan, video streaming may be set to HD Quality (typically 1080p) and after 300 GB of data usage, Viasat may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion.
Just increases video resolution and the de-prioritization threshold.