Alternative to playon

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

I have been using playon/playlater but since I downloaded their new playon (no longer have playlater) I'm unable to get into my account. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any other program similar to playon that allows recording of netflix etc.
Photo of Joan Bartlett

Joan Bartlett

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I just started using the new version of Playon. It includes the features formerly in Playlater. It works fine to record Netflix or anything you can get on your browser.

However they still do not offer timer recording, where you could allow it to download only during the free period. When I asked they said it is one of the most requested features, so I assume they are working on it. Hopefully it will be ready by the next update.

They offer a free trial, and then you can subscribe at a monthly, yearly or lifetime rate. I think I agreed to the monthly plan and pay $4 or $5 per month, which can be canceled any time. I want to be sure it's useful before saving money overall by getting a yearly or lifetime sub. If they just had a timed recording function it would be a sure thing for those of us stuck with Exede's miserly data caps.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Joan, I don't know of any other programs like playon/playlater but can tell you that you should still be able to access your account even with the merge of playon and playlater in to one program--I think in the new version it is called "playon plus" if you want to have the playlater recording feature, which of course I assume is the main reason you would have this program.  

you should go to the website www.playon.tv  and look for the support/help section to find out why you are now having trouble accessing your account.  I had some minor problems recording a couple of programs a while back, and contacted playon/playlater support via email--they were very helpful.

When I first signed up, I purchased a "lifetime license" to use both playon and playlater, which is likely why I have no problem now when I access the new playon program...I just had to put in my license number and the site acknowledged my active account.  but  you may have purchased your subscription differently than I did--but playon should be able to explain this to you.

I also, Like Nicholas said, wish they had the feature where you could set the recording program to record something at a later time (during the late night free zone), but regardless, having playon plus is the only way I could possibly utilize netflix/stream any media that I will then be able to watch anytime I want, once it is recorded to my hard drive.  (I have the least expensive 10gb a month plan).

Some other people on this forum have figured out a way to use another third party application to be able to set Playon plus (formerly playlater) to start recording what they want after the start of the latenight free zone...I read about that in another discussion but haven't attempted this method  myself since I am often up during the beginning of the LNFZ and can start a queue of media I want to record/watch later.  then I just go to sleep.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
My Exede plan has the free zone from 3 AM to 8 AM, and I'm not usually up at 3 AM to start recording. I'm a night owl, so I'm also not likely to be up before 8 AM. Where's that info about using a 3rd party program to start Playon with a timer?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Nicholas,

Lorrie may be referring to using an application (some are free) that allows automating repetitive browser or desktop tasks and scheduling them for later assuming using the Windows Task Scheduler (or a built-in scheduler).

A quick search of Playon support, suggests that Mouse Recorder Pro can overcome the limitation (along with some hefty imagination and precautions particularly those to ensure you don't go past the end of the free zone):

https://support.playon.tv/entries/22993622-ability-to-schedule-delay-downloads-for-off-peak-hours

(about the 16th comment from the top)

On rare occasions I'll utilize iMacros to automate repetitive web browser tasks and schedule for later but it's only applicable to browser-based applications:

http://www.howtogeek.com/113789/how-to-automate-repetitive-web-browser-tasks-with-imacros/
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The most frequently mentioned alternative is Aterlo's Nightshift at:

https://www.gonightshift.com/

A monthly subscription fee in addition to your NetFlix subscription, currently only supports Netflix and requires that you have a compatible router, and is primarily aimed at those having a free zone plan to schedule and record then.   
(Edited)
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Good News!  Playon now includes timed recording. I just noticed a crescent moon icon next to the record icon and clicked it. You can set the starting and ending time to allow streaming recording.  I'm surprised they haven't made a splashy announcement yet, but the feature is now live.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Yes, I got an email about this from playon yesterday and am DELIGHTED with this new format...somehow it was always a drag to have to be up at midnight to start a queue of things to record during LNFZ while I slept...

I just started using the new format yesterday and already have hours of newly recorded netflix shows to watch now, whenever I choose, without using data as I would if I were streaming it.

I was also pleased at how easy it is to set this all up--they did a great job with the new software.   I bought a lifetime license back when they were new and were selling the lifetime licenses at great rates, and it sure is paying off.  (No monthly payments or anything.)
Photo of Joan Bartlett

Joan Bartlett

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have been having problems with the new playon. I did the yearly pay plan, recorded a few things and then lost the ability to record. I then paid another yeary fee (which they say they will refund) recorded a few things and now the same thing is happening. When i go on my account it says I have not signed up for playon plus. I hate the fact that you can't talk to someone and only have the option of email which takes them days to respond. I had signed up for a free 30 day trial of amazon prime and since it runs out on the 21st of Nov it looks like I won't be able to use it. I am very unhapppy right now. Never had a problem with the older playon/playlater version. I feel like a hamster on a tread mill- -can't seem to get any where. I was so thrilled about the timed recording format but looks like I'll never get to try it.
Photo of Boby Cramer Huffard

Boby Cramer Huffard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I bought the Lifetime plan a few years ago and was pleased with it. Since the software was updated it hasn't worked at all for me. I tried adding the Plus plan to see if that helped,  but there has been no improvement. They keep offering suggestions every few days, but nothing has worked. I can't record, or even play shows through Roku any more. I am very frustrated.
Photo of Kayosan Tully

Kayosan Tully

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Joan I feel your pain I paid for Playon and Play it later, I signed up for Playon Plus it says I didn't. I can't find the email sent after I bought it, I'm on different computer now. So it's a loss I am looking around for other software, save and archive all of your emails and receipts from Playon. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Kayosan, can't you send a copy of documentation of your payment to prove you DID pay for it? (like a copy of the statement on which the payment appears, depending on the method you used ).  I hate the idea you paid for something and can't get what you paid for.

I wish I knew of other software, but as of now I don't--I have had some occasional problems with playlater and PlayonPlus, but I was able to get those resolved each time via contacting the support people, and now am using PlayonPlus without problems.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I think I lost my PW for my account (frequently happens, I will buy something and then not use it right away and forget about it until later and then have to figure out what username / password I used to get into it), and I could have sworn as long as you have your email address you can recover the password and sign in.  

I have also started using LastPass (www.lastpass.com) to store usernames / passwords and find it is most helpful as I also store licensing information and other tidbits in it.  At something like $12.00 / year it is pretty cheap. 
Photo of Kayosan Tully

Kayosan Tully

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lastpass is worth every penny I've had lastpass for years after a pretty bad laptop failure  I lost everything. So I bought lastpass and xmarks to back up all my bookmarks not sure if they still offer them in one package two good programs.  I would tell anyone to store licensing information in more than one location. I usually keep all licensing and welcome emails for all products I buy, just so happens email deleted I have emails from 2008 so to make sure no accidents copy and store email in a cloud so even if your computer dies you still have copy of important emails
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Joan, I can certainly understand your frustration since it's taking so long for Playon to get back to you!  I had to contact their support via email a few times back when it was still playlater, but haven't had to contact them in some time--back then when I did, they were on top of everything and would respond within hours with the info I needed to correct whatever problem I had.

Maybe it would be worthwhile for you to persist with their email support, even though they are taking too long--maybe that way you can FINALLY get it straightened out and maybe it will just work well after that, which would mean you can watch loads of things like netflix.  I have both netflix streaming and amazon prime, and actually, while I like amazon prime, Netflix is my favorite and I rarely find myself using Amazon prime for the video feature.

If you can just get them to correct the problem, presumably you will be very happy with the new recording format.
Photo of Joan Bartlett

Joan Bartlett

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Lorrie and thanks for the feed back. I submitted my problem to them Sat. and as of right now still waiting. If they can't solve the problem immediately and need more info then it could take days to get the problem corrected. It seems they could just look at the two charges to my credit card, which I already see on there, and turn my ability to record back on. I saw a phone # listed on my credit card statement and thought I might be able to contact them, but it's just a recording telling you to contact email support. Modern technology sometimes make you want to talk ugly. lol
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Yes, this kind of thing really frustrates me!  But I think I'd probably keep at it, because for me it makes the difference in whether I can watch streamed video regularly or not...with my allowance of only 10gb per month, Playon Plus is really making it possible for me to watch all kinds of movies/'tv shows via Netflix that I wouldn't otherwise be able to watch.  Hope you will let us know what happens.
Photo of Joan Bartlett

Joan Bartlett

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hey Lorrie, You wanted to know what happened and what happened is nothing. After waiting 6 days I've just told them to cancel my account. Maybe I'll give it a try later on, but for right now I've had it with them. It's just ridiculous to pay for a service not once, but twice, and still not have it. I'm trying to download some videos from Amazon prime before my trial period runs out but the weather has had my internet down for the last two nights and so far I've only been able to download two videos. Keep enjoying yours and maybe one day I'll try again.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Hey Joan, Sorry that they couldn't get back to you soon enough, and I certainly understand your frustration .  I did email Playon support with a minor question yesterday and noticed they have a message up saying they are taking longer than usual to get back, due to the new programming...so sounds like you are not alone.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.