After seeing Viasat-2 rolled out now.....

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Do you believe that only 13% of its capacity has been lost and the business model for Viasat-2 hasn't changed?

https://www.spaceintelreport.com/vias...

I will keep my opinion to myself. I am just curious what others think.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
Yes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Stephen. I got a bridge to sell you :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I've got some ocean front property in Arizona.  Real cheap.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
From the front porch you can see the sea.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Always loved some Strait music.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
I don't love you.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I won’t miss you.
Photo of Russtytrucker

Russtytrucker

• 61 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Who knows for sure, but that news article is a bit dated, no offense. Since Viasat is a public company, I guess we'll find out eventually whats up with V-2. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Its dated because there isnt much out there right now. I know a earnings call is coming soon. Expect an update then.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
The silence from Carlsbad had been deafening to say the least VetSat. One thing I noticed when I installed my own personal VS2 large beam system today was that the signal strength was VERY low compared to what I am used to seeing with VS1 installs. When I say low, I mean 50% or less.

I had a bunch of work in the yard and house to do today and after I finished I sat on my back deck and listened to some music to relax. I decided to see how downloading a song on Amazon did with the new VS2 connection....VS1 at night had gotten really slow. It took well over a minute for a song to even get halfway downloaded. Just to remind everyone, I'm set up on a "just opened" beam that has virtually NO customers yet. I'm not impressed.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Hey Andy! Long time no see. Thanks for sharing. I know that you are limited in what you can share, but you know what was expected.

And you are right about Viasat-1 beams getting slower. The "unlimited" plans released last fall really started the issues. Since then, they have twice now cranked down the priority data allotment. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if they had done a 20/40/60 plan I think we all would have been better off.

At Stephen noted on here, better to under promise and over deliver. Maybe that is what they are trying to do now, but the genie is already out of the bottle.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Good to hear from you as well VetSat. The reason I quit posting here was that I simply got tired of all the "they're stealing my data" threads. I had enough to deal with at my business without putting up with it here as well. Truth of the matter is that the rural areas are simply being sidelined. Anyone is free to put whatever spin on it they want but that is a fact. The small beams are largely servicing areas that already have cable or other ISPs that are offering 1 gig service. I've simply gotten tired fighting yesterday's battles. Reason and logic seem to be of no concern. Viasat could have OWNED the rural areas and they would have gotten customers who would have STUCK and been very loyal.

It is what it is.

Andy
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 324 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
thats the part i dont get, why light up the metro locals? Just for Viasat to save face and saying it is deploying it?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yea the stealing the data topics do get old. The misconceptions about "unlimited" plans doesn't help things either.

The spot beam coverage is strange too. Sort of like when the Freedom plan was initially offered over plaves such as New York City.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Urban and Suburban dwellers have options. I get that in some areas those are poor compared to Viasat, Like here, but, here is one of the shafted rural areas despite there being several towns, not cities in an area a spot beam could have covered.

Viasat could have owned my county but I get the feeling the 15,000 or so who live here are pretty much nothing to Viasat. Ten of those I'd bet would be customers if the plans we saw at the Conference of Champions were available.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I know the “missing data” threads may get old, but you have to remember that most people are not tech savvy. While some say it’s totally user responsibility, I think ISPs that limit data amounts to miserly levels should provide the tools for everyone to see where each byte/bit goes. $240 over two years should cover a decent router and software.

It would save the dealers, corporate, and users some headaches. Let the threads and calls continue until someone with authority says enough and makes it happen.

To the spot beam issue, either ViaSat is trying to make money being a system of redundancy for large businesses (revenue without much data usage), or they really think they are competing with slow dsl.

Listen to me carefully ViaSat. You are not competing with dsl. Ok, maybe Stephen has dsl available and chose ViaSat. Quickly, name two others. Right.

Know your customer, provide what they want, make money. It’s that simple.

The whole ViaSat 2 beam “issues” doesn’t bother me. I think until we see airlines or government contracts dropped, the satellite can be assumed to be fine. Remember being filled by residential subscribers is not its intended purpose.

If it alleviates some congestion for residential subs while getting big contracts, it was a success for the company.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
The beam issue should bother you. Beams are missing from the original plan. That doesn't suggest fine to me.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Still haven’t seen the original map. Would like to compare differences. When the airlines announce cancelled contracts because ViaSat can’t deliver, I’ll be more of a believer. Not saying all is well. Just don’t think the issues justify the lowered plan quality. Don’t buy that at all. Different marketing strategy that I can’t see the reason for at present.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
I don't think it's as bad as you boys and girls think it is. Remember the Exede service five years ago? When all of your data was used up, speeds dropped below 256k, whether it was primetime or not. The only relief was the late night free zone. The capacity was still there, but Viasat was saving it for projected use/sales. Only recently did Viasat open the gate for Viasat 1 to allow the unused capacity to be enjoyed.

The same thing is happening with Viasat 2.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Uggg. I agree with Stephen.

Probably demand for ViaSat 2 was through the roof. Slow the migration, look for lucrative contracts, open up space and speeds later when ViaSat 3 is forthcoming. Sucks for us though.

Check out recently posted business plans. They made me laugh.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Holly Crap!! 1GB==$60? +taxes!
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
But it really is unlimited! You just get automatically dinged as you use 1GB increments - it does require an unlimited wallet or line of credit and you forgot the equipment lease ;)
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
How can that even be right? 1GB for email and VOIP. Not much else!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That is what they refer to as their business redundancy plan - that one's for "backup/failover/lifeline" purposes where a business can't afford to be offline  - but hey, it's a tax deductible business expense so we pay for that one too.

You're trying to make sense out of all of this - forget it, it doesn't ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Can you paste the important parts? Not going to register just to read it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
While some say it’s totally user responsibility, I think ISPs that limit data amounts to miserly levels should provide the tools for everyone to see where each byte/bit goes. $240 over two years should cover a decent router and software. 
It's not as easy, nor as cheap, as you'd think.  Routers alone that have this ability aren't cheap, then add the fact that the modem needed for this service is a combination unit, then add even further that it's a proprietary device rather than something that's one size fits all.  The more there is, and the more specific it is, the more complicated and expensive it becomes.   

I don't mind so much when people ask for help when they have a "disappearing data" issue, but the "data stealing" claim gets old for me, too, and I hear just as much of it on the board for my own service (HughesNet).   
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
There is obviously a problem with Viasat 2. The under performance and silence from them confirms that. I'm looking forward to Viasat 3.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Hopefully they can figure out why this satellite didn't achieve its full and intended potential first. Chances are it was damaged somehow during launch, whether through vibration or some other factor.

Perhaps Viasat will be able to get an insurance claim out if this so they can keep moving forward on development of Viasat-3.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Maybe Viasat is trying to get a better feel for the footprints and signal strength of the VS-2 beams by opening them up but keeping the plans so ridiculous that they don't have to worry about many new subscribers!  Ask Andy about the signal at his new VS-2 installation. 
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 761 Reply Likes
Even with VS3, the mentality is "we've got to compete with cable". The rural areas will forever be an afterthought unless things change at the top.
Last I heard, VS3 is 2 yrs out.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
2020. And I thought they were going for a global footprint with multiple satellites. But then they didn't continue their relationship with Eutelsat so not sure where that leaves the five year plan now.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
My external hard drive for my Xbox is approaching 2 years of age. I spent the weekend downloading almost 3TB of games on a new 4tb drive. (Cable connection obviously). No slowdowns, streamed 12 Strong in beautiful HD (didn’t buy 4K for that one), and nothing to worry about as far as data limits. Unless ViaSat 3 can do that, wrong target indeed.

Spectrum just upgraded the service from 100Mbps to 200Mbps. No additional cost. I will admit I only hit 180Mbps. I’m thinking of joining their forums so I can complain though. No, wait, I’m actually happy with 180Mbps.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Did you wind up moving to get that as you previously threatened or did you simply spend a weekend away from home?  ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Lol. Fiancé’s house. Threaten is a strong word. Maybe resided myself to relocating. I have to tie a knot and sell two houses in the next few months. Acreage with cable exists here. Just not at my house. 20 years of waiting got old.

Fast internet is like silk boxers or air conditioning. Grew up without either, but once you get accustomed to it, you can never go back.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Sounds like the next big online dating site...

Bandwidth challenged male seek female with ample bandwidth assets for downloads, fun, games and thrilling speed test results.

You don't have to be lonely at bandwidthchallenged.com...  
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
That'll be me in a few years.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Female has such provided you are willing to sit in her car in the city and, pay a portion of her cell phone bill which is required to meet your requirements. If you desire such at home, you will be limited to 25 Mbps or slower and a total usage of 25 Gb per month as I need my other 125 GB per month for myself. Also note that the call bill is nearly 400.00 per month and, you get less than 1 Mbps at home on it but, can reach speeds nearing 100 Mbps in some larger metropolitan areas, like Dallas which is just a three hour commute from home. LOL
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
This is better than HBO.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Stephen has new flooring. That could be an attraction!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2814 Posts
  • 1466 Reply Likes
I've only done one bedroom so far.

Still have two more bedrooms to put carpet in and I'm replacing the fake wood floor in the living room too.

The plan is to do one room at a time.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Sounds like a Viasat-2 beam rollout! :)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1355 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Hope it doesn’t look like one.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Our friends at Pegasus Electronics sums it up pretty well. Credit to Old Labs for finding this dealer site!

www.pegsat.net/P_Exede/Viasat2-News.html