After hitting 100gb limit its basically useless.

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Started service with Viasat less than two months and am very disappointed. We hit the 100 gb by mid month and then it’s pretty much useless. They say after hitting that limit they may prioritize you behind other customers if network is congested. Well I’m usually getting less than 1mbps. Last test was .32 and it’s like that morning, midday, afternoon, evening and after midnight. At no time is it normal after the 100gb.

I opted for the Gold Plan and before I hit the limit I generally only get in the teens. I wish there was another option. For the cost this is ridiculous.
Photo of Greg Jones

Greg Jones

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Same as mine , Im over cap by like 2 gig or 3 i think and im slowed down to 18-36 kbps , sucks but thats why im getting a mobile hotspot , i dont think with 2 bars of service it can be worse than 36 kbps atleast i hope not , if satellite or dialup is your only options you should check out verion jetpacks also , it might help you out im hoping it will me seeing as how im barely over dial up speeds atm it seems 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Welcome to Viasat Greg. You signed up for a fake unlimited plan.
Photo of Steve Rose

Steve Rose

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Yes, as many of us have learned the advertised “up to” speeds rarely happen, bordering on fraud. Combine that with the recent changes to the higher data plan where your usage speed is “prioritized” below newer plans and you will find that Viasat is quickly a poor choice as an ISP.

If they (Viasat) can change their details of the contracted plan then you should be able to cancel your details of the plan regardless of contractual time frame also.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You are correct Greg. Just because they say it is unlimited doesn't mean it us unlimited.

I would suggest dropping to the lowest plan, but that will give you even less priority data. On the flip side, that is less money to Viasat though.
Photo of Michael Bunch

Michael Bunch

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have to say I noticed the same thing the first month I went over my "unlimited" limit. "We may prioritize you behind other customers" pretty much translates to "after the limit your internet is going to suck 24/7 until the next cycle."

That said, I wasn't surprised or even angered. Not my first rodeo and all that -- I can get by fairly comfortably on 100 gb a month, most months.

Not a lot of good will gathered with the deceptive advertising at that though.
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
They should really remove the word unlimited. They're just Liberty Plans but without a download zone. Only difference is you get up to regular speeds if it's not congested unlike Liberty Plans.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You also get stuck with the video resolution downgrader on the "unlimited" plans. On the Liberty plans you can turn it off.
Photo of Greg Jones

Greg Jones

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well it’s a new month and I’ve already used almost a gig at .9 and it’s only day 1. I have Wi-Fi turned off of phones and haven’t watched tv so I haven’t figured out what can use that much data. Besides that it appears it’s down as the modem is flashing and says can’t connect.