Adding a NAS to my home network? Anyone have exeperience with this?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I would like to set up a NAS system on my network but wan't to make sure it is a good option.  Not having a lot of bandwith I would like to use plex to play my digital media collection on my television and possibly other devices.  It won't use any internet bandwidth right?  Just the local network?  Is the modem/router fast enough to play HD files?  Thanks for any info!
Photo of Robert Ashdown

Robert Ashdown

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1050 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
You should be fine. Of course, it is always good to define what you are talking about instead of using abbreviations here. I assume you just want to play prerecorded content off a computer using the Playon media server, which will work fine and use no bandwidth as long as you are not streaming or recording content off the internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 641 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Does your TV have Roku built in or are you using some other type of box? Assuming you have a good connection from there to the rest of your network, you should be OK.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1050 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
I too use the Plex server with Playon. While not through the Viasat router you could always bypass that if need be, but you shouldn't have an issue at all.
Photo of Robert Ashdown

Robert Ashdown

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for the info.  To clarify by NAS, what I'm looking at getting is a Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS418.  I don't think I would be using Playon.  I have a 15 year collection of DVD and BluRay which I have been digitizing using HEVC encoding so I wouldn't be streaming anything. The larger BR files are about 10-15GB but that doesn't seem like to much to stream over 802.11n which has theoretical speeds of 300Mbps.  If it does bottleneck I could always get another router with 802.11ac and run it in access point mode.  I need to test what affect multiple devices (phones, tv, tablet) accessing the media have on performance.

My Television doesn't have roku built in and I haven't had one.  I will be upgrading this fall and putting one in the bedroom and shop as well, but in the mean time  I'm picking up a Roku later this week and realized I can test this with my pc before buying a NAS.  My plan is to put Plex on both my pc and roku and use my pc as the server to see what performance looks like.  I'm hoping this will give me a decent idea of how everything works and what I'm getting myself into.   Thanks for the tips!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 811 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
Because of Playon recording limitations, I havent streamed more than 720p over the Plex server, so I couldnt speak to how Blu-ray content would do over it.