Account Charged

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
I called and canceled my service on 12/ 23, a day before my account was to be charged. I specifically asked the representative since viasat charges a month ahead of time, would my account be charged and he assured me that it wouldn't be charged. I wake up this morning and check my bank account and low and behold, there is a charge from viasat. So I called viasat again this morning and talked to another representative and told her the issue. She told me that it takes 24 hours to cancel an account. I didn't blow my top. I just told here what the other representative told me and she told me that corporate would have to listen to the conversation and they will make a determination from there. I hope that the refund my money from a mistake from one of their representative. From reading a lot of posts here, I'm not sure it will happen. Hopefully they will honor their mistake.
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • confused

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3243 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Keith your best approach to rectify this is to send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com. Include your account number and a phone number, along with a description of what you stated above. This email goes directly to Viasat corporate employees.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 22 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

And THAT is why you hire the services of a licensed, active, Certified Court Reporter to listen to the call on speakerphone and make a legal record of every word spoken and the time and date of the call.  They will charge about $75/hour and $7.00/page of transcript.  That record is indisputable in court if ViaSat needs to be taken there.

ViaSat may say it takes 24 hours to cancel an account, but that is AFTER THE FACT and is all on them, not you.  You cancelled before your new month started and it doesn't matter if it takes ViaSat a week or a year to get it through their system, that's their problem, not yours.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2446 Posts
  • 1495 Reply Likes
Weird advice.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2152 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Word of advice. Don't talk to J&J on the phone :).
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 22 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
It's advice on how to part company with gangsters.  I also advised on how to send the equipment back and why but Brad deleted it.  These guys want to ding you for at least, got that...  at least one more month of service on your way out.  They'll go so far as to claim your box didn't arrive and get away with it if you are ill-equipped to do battle.  I live in California, I know what happens...  I see it all the time.  I sent my box back and paid the shipping so if they claimed it didn't arrive, I collect insurance so no loss on me.  I had the phone call transcribed 36+ hours before my month renewed and sure enough, they entered me into a new month with a new plan since I was at the end of the 6 month hibernation period.  They would have gotten away with it if I were their typical naive customer, but I was ready for trouble and they backed down when they saw I would humiliate them in court if they didn't drop the new month and plan.  This is a wretched company and a person has to plan for anything they might do, or kiss more money away to them that they don't have coming.  I don't pay cheats, I take them to court.

On another note.. I'm taking bets on ViaSat-3 NOT EVER even launching.  Not that there will be an accident, oh no, more like they won't legally be able to operate it.  I'm betting the FCC won't grant yet another milestone extension and they'll have the coolest toy satellite on earth in a warehouse for many years.

see:  bad news for ViaSat
and: more bad news for ViaSat

Carma baby, carma, it's coming your way
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2152 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Karma is spelled with a "k"
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 22 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Not in Kalifornia, it's user's choice...  (always remember how it is in this state) :o)
Maybe it's a local thing but here if it's good news it's a K, if it's time head for where I live it's a C
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2152 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Left coast...
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 670 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Probably all true J & J, but if someone considers their time worth something they usually won't go to the great lengths you did to avoid getting fleeced out of another month's charges. About the only thing that went right for me with Viasat was no issues canceling service and returning my obsolete equipment that probably went straight in the trash.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1092 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
Keith,

As Steve said, email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com.  Be sure to include your account number.  If you disconnect before your billing date, there's no reason for us to charge you for another month.  Send us your info, and we'll take a look and correct it!
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 24 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Matt B I've emailed you (viasat) yesterday and I still haven't received a response yet.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3546 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
Hi Keith, the holiday week and holiday staffing has generated a small backlog. We are replying to inquiries in the order they are sent. If you have not received a reply yet please call us at 855-463-9333 or await a reply. This Christmas to New Years week is usually when our replies slow so calling is usually the best and quickest turnaround for a resolution.  Typically something like this will be refunded as your request was made prior to a bill date so I would be fine refunding. Of course any final billing could be charged rather than a monthly fee but we'll check. Most likely it'll be me replying to you.