I have been put on data restriction after only 3 days past billing. Something is wrong with your monitoring system.

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Photo of Gary Senechal

Gary Senechal

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Gary, your account number was removed form the title of your thread for security reasons. This is a public forum so, please do not post personal information here.

If you would like a usage review to get a better idea of where your data went, you can email that request to exedelistens@viasat.com. Be sure to include your account and contact information.

The most common data hogs are automatic updates and video. Please check to see if that may have used your data. Some updates can be in excess of 5 GB and, may download separately for multiple device.
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1539 Posts
  • 876 Reply Likes

Everyone who comes here for the first time complaining about their data disappearing for no reason should be supplied with links to information on how to disable Windows 10 delivery options allowing their computer to distribute Windows updates to others around the world using the Internet.

Decent links are:
https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth...

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I would like to add the following: not only is this Microsoft practice completely unethical, but it also greatly reduces the security of your computer as it makes you much more likely to run into malware.  Peer to peer networks over the internet are notorious for spreading malware.
Photo of Seajay

Seajay

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
After reading your links, Craig, I went into my Win 10 settings for wifi.  I clicked on data usage and it showed a whopping 9.93 GB from the system during the last 30 days.  My internet plan is for 10 GB only. The last 3 months I have been receiving notices from my ISP that I am nearing 100% on my limit sometimes just a week after reset. I've called them to see what was happening and they gave me percentages as to what was being used.  But nothing like what my system is telling me!  Anyway to control this?  I've turned off all delivery options.  Don't know if that will help or not. I've been getting notices for weeks now that there is a big update ready to go and I keep putting it off.  This is ridiculous! I'm having to pay for extra data to get through the month when I am not actively using it all!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Yep, I cut Windows 10 loose (unmetered) but only allow updates to be shared on my LAN and 27.46 GB used by that machine alone in the last 30 days. 14.27 of that is active use by me, the rest, Windows without explicit permission for what it does, just general permission to access the internet.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 850 Reply Likes
I got put on the Liberty Pass just two or three days after my billing cycle started.  It happened because I used all of my priority data.  Plain and simple for me.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
87 GB ... would have been impossible even as little as 1 year ago.  Exede is really making great progress.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1861 Posts
  • 850 Reply Likes
Correction, as of right now its 95 GB for the month.  Now if you would excuse me, I am going to Netflix and chill during primetime (with no buffering) thanks to my Playon/Plex server.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I’ve asked for Exede to throttle your connection. Next time I’m up your way, don’t be surprised to find a cut cable :). This is why unlimited plan people can’t have good things lol.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
There's no need for that.  ViaSat2 will more than triple Exede's throughput in space and it's expected to come online in the next few months or so.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
There's no need for that.  ViaSat2 will more than triple Exede's throughput in space and it's expected to come online in the next few months or so.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
It was a Windows update. Those things can be tricky
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Especially with Windows 10 where, by default, it will download them whenever, then turn around and upload all or part of them to random Windows 10 users all across the internet, effectively using you as a peer to peer server.

I'm scared to cut it loose to see how much that actually impacts usage. I don't particularly want to take a huge advantage of having Unlimited. 200 GB okay, 1000 GB plus, not okay with me. (yes okay by you but, talk about being a beam hog - not me. :) )