About to Dump Centurylink AND Direct TV and opt for HULU via Viasat. Lookin at 100g up to 50 meg plan

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
About to Dump Centurylink AND Direct and opt for HULU/Roku via Viasat. Lookin at 100g up to 50 meg plan... Live in Southeast close to Gulf Beach. Comments?
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Why????

In no way, shape, or form is satellite internet intended for cord cutting.

You will burn through that 100GB in no time and then wonder why you won't be able to stream anything.
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
 If you have to climb a pole in the middle of a foggy night and tap any kind of line it will save you time, money and constant stress. Das kompanie knows w/in a few 100bytes what speeds are available at what hours. It ain't rocket science and last launch that killed perhaps 1/3 of expected new data. Barring abnormally high and persistent solar and/or magnetic flaring things could be ok. The reality is constant channel jams with cute terms like no priority, de-prioritize and where I am 2 days in renewed monthly allotment...snare soft hiss while latency bounces test again...point browser window at http://speedtest.risebroadband.com/
mine was 690 which is in some mystic way travelling 44,000 miles faster than it can. dll side of 5.8, upload of 1.0. With on extremely ticked question, "How did the miserly 12gb disappear before the new month. Respond in some fashion soonest. Thank you in advance for clarifying this and other shabby treatment the has come to light.

So Bryan, learn how to attach bnc connectors, find a live wire, stay away from circuits issuing a hiss noise and save yourself a TON of grief. Satellite ISP are geared towards their primary and new locales which are, White House comms, military and for last 3 to 6 months massive pushes in EU and Africa. Beojoo'doo'B my khalahari bushman buddy isn't known for complaining much but the dish has blown him up to 300' while trying to sleep and no parachute included. Thank God the new travelling banko keeps the goats clean and fed. Final rant (yah sure) embrace and revel in customer service that treats itself as 2nd world citizens and residential customers as something inadvertently stepped in stuck to bottom of shoe. In that dark, damp hole you will then find angst. Good night and good luck.

Rough calc puts beam (like a channel with defined footprint) over sold up 28% in heavily populated areas during peak user hammering away, 5:30pm to past 12:00am. the so called unrestricted time rarely bumps execrable speed up more than 80kb. Personal worst was .o13kbps. In 1995 current state of art dialup was 26.6. Currently testing mobile solar hotspot on ridge I can see towers in San Jose and Gilroy then dumping repeat 1/2 mile to my home on Metro who uses Sprint(?) 4gLTE but apparently the phone ate my viasat quota in under 2hours. There is something smellier than Camembert in San Diego, Denver or the Oregon Coast. Time to 420 relax and giggle. And the suggested mascot is feeling so rejected he is asking for salt; gave him a colorful friend too
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
Advocating illegal practices that could cost him a lot of money, give him a criminal record and possibly even cause injury (tap any line)?

Great advice!  SMH.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
Apparently Martin is under the assumption that everyone has a cable line running by their home. 

If there was a cable line on the pole near  my house, I would not be using satellite internet and TV services.

!, tapping into a line on the pole to steal a service is illegal, and 2, it takes more than tapping into a cable line to get TV or internet, one would need to supply the appropriate modem, and then get the modem "authenticated" before it will work, something that must be done by the ISP utilizing the line.

'Tis the weekend, glad I have lots of peanuts, popcorn and beverages here at the house.

Let the entertainment begin, weekends seem to bring out the best of some people.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Idiots try to steal copper wire from the electrical infrastructure too!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
And copper piping.  We don't have much of a problem with that right here, but about 15 miles south of me they do.  It's a poor area, with the occasional abandoned house. 

We have an old, sizable, closed state institution about 1.5 miles up the road, and up until a few years ago the state police would occasionally catch people sneaking around in the grounds, trying to steal what they could, including copper piping from inside the buildings.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
For the love of god, don’t do it. We were getting streaming speeds approaching 256Kbps last night on Unlimited Silver plan last night.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. Things were pretty slow last night, at least on my beam. I havent seen it THAT slow in awhile. Not even during the holidays.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
No where near 150Gbs
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yep. In certain areas of the country yesterday speeds were horrendous