About to Dump Centurylink AND Direct TV and opt for HULU via Viasat. Lookin at 100g up to 50 meg plan

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
About to Dump Centurylink AND Direct and opt for HULU/Roku via Viasat. Lookin at 100g up to 50 meg plan... Live in Southeast close to Gulf Beach. Comments?
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Why????

In no way, shape, or form is satellite internet intended for cord cutting.

You will burn through that 100GB in no time and then wonder why you won't be able to stream anything.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 346 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Don't get Viasat for streaming, the speeds are not consistent and reliable, data limits, you will not be happy.  A somewhat dependable 5Mbps ISP is superior to the 20 or 40 a few hours a day and then a pretty consistent prime time .5.
(Edited)
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
 If you have to climb a pole in the middle of a foggy night and tap any kind of line it will save you time, money and constant stress. Das kompanie knows w/in a few 100bytes what speeds are available at what hours. It ain't rocket science and last launch that killed perhaps 1/3 of expected new data. Barring abnormally high and persistent solar and/or magnetic flaring things could be ok. The reality is constant channel jams with cute terms like no priority, de-prioritize and where I am 2 days in renewed monthly allotment...snare soft hiss while latency bounces test again...point browser window at http://speedtest.risebroadband.com/
mine was 690 which is in some mystic way travelling 44,000 miles faster than it can. dll side of 5.8, upload of 1.0. With on extremely ticked question, "How did the miserly 12gb disappear before the new month. Respond in some fashion soonest. Thank you in advance for clarifying this and other shabby treatment the has come to light.

So Bryan, learn how to attach bnc connectors, find a live wire, stay away from circuits issuing a hiss noise and save yourself a TON of grief. Satellite ISP are geared towards their primary and new locales which are, White House comms, military and for last 3 to 6 months massive pushes in EU and Africa. Beojoo'doo'B my khalahari bushman buddy isn't known for complaining much but the dish has blown him up to 300' while trying to sleep and no parachute included. Thank God the new travelling banko keeps the goats clean and fed. Final rant (yah sure) embrace and revel in customer service that treats itself as 2nd world citizens and residential customers as something inadvertently stepped in stuck to bottom of shoe. In that dark, damp hole you will then find angst. Good night and good luck.

Rough calc puts beam (like a channel with defined footprint) over sold up 28% in heavily populated areas during peak user hammering away, 5:30pm to past 12:00am. the so called unrestricted time rarely bumps execrable speed up more than 80kb. Personal worst was .o13kbps. In 1995 current state of art dialup was 26.6. Currently testing mobile solar hotspot on ridge I can see towers in San Jose and Gilroy then dumping repeat 1/2 mile to my home on Metro who uses Sprint(?) 4gLTE but apparently the phone ate my viasat quota in under 2hours. There is something smellier than Camembert in San Diego, Denver or the Oregon Coast. Time to 420 relax and giggle. And the suggested mascot is feeling so rejected he is asking for salt; gave him a colorful friend too
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
Advocating illegal practices that could cost him a lot of money, give him a criminal record and possibly even cause injury (tap any line)?

Great advice!  SMH.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
Apparently Martin is under the assumption that everyone has a cable line running by their home. 

If there was a cable line on the pole near  my house, I would not be using satellite internet and TV services.

!, tapping into a line on the pole to steal a service is illegal, and 2, it takes more than tapping into a cable line to get TV or internet, one would need to supply the appropriate modem, and then get the modem "authenticated" before it will work, something that must be done by the ISP utilizing the line.

'Tis the weekend, glad I have lots of peanuts, popcorn and beverages here at the house.

Let the entertainment begin, weekends seem to bring out the best of some people.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Idiots try to steal copper wire from the electrical infrastructure too!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
And copper piping.  We don't have much of a problem with that right here, but about 15 miles south of me they do.  It's a poor area, with the occasional abandoned house. 

We have an old, sizable, closed state institution about 1.5 miles up the road, and up until a few years ago the state police would occasionally catch people sneaking around in the grounds, trying to steal what they could, including copper piping from inside the buildings.
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I in a situation where Centurylink was a local Mom and Pop. It was sold two or three times after initial purchase. I am at the end of a switch and am lucky if I get 5megs. Due to federal regulation on telecom, no one else can or is willing to come in and run FTTH. I'm stuck. Sick of DirectTV I guess. All the channels I have and sometimes nothing really good to watch.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
5Mbs with low latency and unlimited data will still outperform satellite internet. Dont believe the marketing and hype.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
This is 100% correct, also in a lot of areas VIASAT will never be close to a steady uninterrupted 5mbs. My VIASAT was so bad I would have been happy to have .5mbs with no drops. I went over data twice in 7 years, had up to a dozen drops out a day without weather issues and speeds were often under 1mb. As mentioned with the latency a 5mb on VIASAT can be much worse than lower speeds hardwired.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
We have Centurylink here also, but only phone, DSL stops 4 1/2 miles from us at the  wifes parents house.  Centurylink is actually "a Verizon company" that was our previous phone provider.  Its a win-win for Verizon, they can reap any profits for years on a failing, out dated rural system like this, then if regulations or operating costs get out of hand they can cut and run without any fallout on the "mother company."

DirecTV I have been with on and off since Oct of 94 when they started.  Things sure have changed through the years.  The WORST in my opinion have been since AT&T bought them.  I tell them EVERY MONTH, when I pay my $100 + bill for "basic" and fees, and taxes, and DVR service, and HD programming, and 2nd TV, my "package" is only $50, its every other "added cost" that bring it over $100!  Anyway, start talking money and lose my train of thought!  I tell them every month what I am paying is RIDICULOUS for the same stinking shows ALL DAY LONG on a given channel.  I can go to WalMart and buy entire seasons of Law and Order SVU and American Pickers, and Big Bang Theory and others, on DVD and drop DTV completely.
Photo of Pamela Holt

Pamela Holt

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Know your problem, viasat has been working for me ,until today, like you I was thinking of ditching Directv the replies and last couple of days have changed my mind. Still works for streaming a couple of hrs a night. Be careful with Century link. They tried to tell me that I had agreed, on the telephone, to extend contract (no written or audio record) took a long time and a court to set it right.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1105 Posts
  • 688 Reply Likes
I would not dump DirecTV or Dish and rely totally on satellite internet.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
We have Dish which seems to be a bit easier on data. I never connected direct TV. I cannot stream due to buffering. I can download occasional On Demand content and watch it later. We can watch you tube and have the 25 silver plan (150 g) but limited to 480p. I even had NetFlix but only watched one series which was 1 show per week. We rarely go over 50g but remain very vigilent on what we watch. We love Viasat, but in my experience it is not intended to replace Sat tv, but may enhance a few light choices.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I too have DirecTV and I too am disgusted paying $100 a month to watch the same shows ALL DAY LONG!  Nothing against them, they started operations Oct 10 1994, and I was with them Oct 11, ONLY because I waited until the following day to install my dish.  I tell them every month ITS THE PROGRAMMING!  Why pay SO MUCH when I can go buy DVDs of these shows at WalMart and watch them over and over all day FOR FREE!

I would LOVE to "cut the cord" but video burns data, and satellite is NOT the way to go ... or I would have by now!

I see ads and articles for ISPs that work off other companys connections.  Something about THEY secure the connection, through Centurylink in your case, then all your data goes through them?  They claim increased speeds?  I am not sure  I usually stop reading at  "internet connection required" but maybe someone else here knows?  Its worth a shot.
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info. Rose we are looking at dumping the Satellite TV all together and just use Roku or Hulu. I have played with the data calculator but who knows how accurate or reliable that think is....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is not meant for cord cutters.

Honestly, I dont think Viasat will perform any better than the internet you got now. So if you want to cut the cord, keep wired internet.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
NOPE stay away from satellite if you want it to watch any amount of video 
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 165 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Don't Do It
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2789 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Speeds like I get during primetime are not typical after using your priority data. Even I would recommend keeping DSL if you plan to cord cut, unless you want to build a Plex server.
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK, educate me on a plex server....:)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Start with the following (a bit dated but am sure Stephen will update as needed). He might substitue PlayOn Cloud for Playon Desktop now. Stephen should be along any minute now if his daily routine holds.  

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/how-i-use-playon-plex-to-view-netflix-content-during-prim...

It's one of many useful conversations I've bookmarked over time.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
I still use Playon Desktop.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
See! I told you he'd be along soon - must not have overdone it with the garlic last night ;)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Indian food.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1299 Reply Likes
tikka masala? That was my gateway into really enjoying Indian food
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1299 Reply Likes
Plex is a media server that you can put your downloads, digital backups, etc onto a streaming app sort of Netflix but with your personal content. I haven't done a lot with it but I have a very small library for "Brad-flix" with some digital copies of movies and such. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I gave up on the Playon Desktop because not all streaming services recorded successfully with Viasat. Amazon and Netflix appeared to work okay, but HBO to Go did not. With Playon Cloud I have had no recording issues. Plus, even if you are on a video resolution restricted plan, you can still record in 720p. So even with the Bronze plan, you can still watch HD.

The problem comes in when trying to watch live events (such as sports). There are times (like yestrrday), my internet is so slow I couldn't stream anything live. And that is with plenty of priority data left.

Again, I don't see the upside of going away from what you got now. You will pay more money, have higher latency, and be locked into something for two years.

As Brad says below, it depends on your viewing and usage habits, but it can get VERY frustrating if you are trying to watch something live and it just won't work.
(Edited)
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
PlayOn Cloud Good
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Just to somewhat parrot what others are saying: you CAN stream on our service but I don't recommend "cord cutting". Data can be drained really quick with cord cutting. Keep in mind that a single HD movie can eat about 4GB alone. 

That's always a difficult question to give an appropriate answer to because everyone has their own definition of what "a little bit", " a lot" or "average" when it comes to answering how much TV one watches and whether it'll work with Viasat. 

Here's what you'll need to know: The Unlimited plans have a resolution limit. The Silver is the MINIMUM of what I'd suggest because it does 480p (Standard Definition) on streaming. Gold will do 720p (HD) and all of those plans have a point before you're subject to being deprioritized on the network during peak hours (5pm-12am). 

The Liberty plans if available do not have the resolution restrictions but have a data limit but you can still have speed for browsing after hitting it but streaming may not work out. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
CAN is a very open ended word. It supposes that speeds on older unlimited plans aren’t being throttled by the new policy retroactive to unlimited plans secured before February 2018 to sub 1Mbps that renders trying to stream utterly useless. But yea, you can stream if ViaSat so allows it.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yeah now with the throttling you MIGHT get to watch part of a video and then wait an hour for the spinning wheel LOL
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
For the love of god, don’t do it. We were getting streaming speeds approaching 256Kbps last night on Unlimited Silver plan last night.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. Things were pretty slow last night, at least on my beam. I havent seen it THAT slow in awhile. Not even during the holidays.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
No where near 150Gbs
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yep. In certain areas of the country yesterday speeds were horrendous
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2098 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Bryan, 

Besides all that has already been said about why it's not really a good idea, there is also the congestion problem.  Congestion is highest in the evenings, when the largest number of people are online and when most people try to stream.  Even if you're able to get the 50Mbps plan, the congestion and latency isn't something streaming services tend to get along with very well.  

I'm another one that would't recommend it.  
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have century link 4 down and .1 up. It works about 3/4 of the time. I have viasat Freedom Plan 12mbs 150G and was told I could stream HD anytime. But contract says speeds up to 12. I get 12 at 3am but from 7pm to 11pm only get 2 or less. Also latency is much worse than DSL. I have kept the Viasat for non-primetime (wife retired) and when DSL is down. But most of the time I use Verizon and ATT cell hotspot until it runs out, then DSL. I only use about 30GB/month because that is all I use with such slow speeds (no streaming possible). Satellite is so much worse than DSL or Wireless, don't do it. 
(Edited)

• 3056 Posts
  • 1962 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is not designed, nor can it be, to compete with DSL, wireless or ground based internet. The latency will be in the range of  650 to 800 milliseconds because the satellites are 22,500 miles above the equator. The reason your speeds are down in the evening is that too many subscribers are using the internet at that time streaming and so forth, thus loading the network heavily. 
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
"Verizon and ATT cell hotspot until it runs out"
As mentioned other places here, Verizon has a new unlimited prepaid jetpack plan, since November.  No cap or threshold, just "HD only" streaming, and full time de-prioritization (if your tower is congested, it will be slower).  I have had it since Nov., and see 15 to 20 down all the time, no matter how much I use.  And it currently streams at least 1080p (youtube detects 1440).

ATT also has some options, depending on your area, some people use the tablet plan in other devices (for instance, but there are other options).

Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I live in a woods so when spring comes and the trees leaf out, my speeds die. I have a cell repeater about 35' up but trees are 100'. Towers in my area are limited to 65' so wireless isn't a year round answer for me. So I'm stuck wasting $110/year just as a back up to me DSL. But I always use DSL first as long as it is working due to latency describe above and congestion in the evenings.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Satellite internet is not designed, nor can it be, to compete with DSL

So you are saying the VIASAT ads on TV here are lying? Exact words on the ad "VIASAT is better than SLOW DSL" I wonder if a VIASAT employee would like to comment on that?

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1721 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
I'm sure Steve's comment is in reference to streaming, which is what's being discussed in this part of the thread.  

"Better" is a subjective term.  Better how?  Better for what activity?  

I would consider my HughesNet service far better than DSL, but not necessarily for streaming, nor online real-time gaming (though I don't game).  
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Again, here's what I see at the bottom of the screen when the claim is made (dig out the magnifying glass):

Not a lie if based on the FCC's data and what they consider typical DSL in non-metro areas. Standard advertising practice for anything - caveat emptor. Only challenging the claim that it's a lie, Al.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Better? Better how? Am I a clown? Do I amuse you?

And

It's a trap!!!!

There are my movie quotes for the day.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1721 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
I just watched that again last night.  One of my favorite scenes.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Admiral Ackbar was in Goodfellas???
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3409 Posts
  • 1279 Reply Likes
It was a cameo

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I know it was you, Fredo.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1721 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
He was frozen in the meat truck, behind Carbone.  If you blinked you missed him.  :)  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 232 Posts
  • 174 Reply Likes
LMAO  Movie quotes!

I know what you're thinking. 'Will it be 25 Mbps today or only point five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this congestion, i dont know myself. But being that this is Viasat, the most powerful internet in the world, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1721 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
May the bandwidth be with you.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
And with you!

Oops, sorry that's the response to Peace be with you - and during flu season we've been instructed not to shake hands.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Even with a Plex server you are better sticking with what you got for what you want. You can cord cut with a low latency 5mbps unlimited data ISP. When you go over your soft cap here you will very likely receive speeds below 2 mbps in primetime. You may even see speeds at or below 56k.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 83 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Just face the facts. If you are looking for bandwidth on Viasat https://youtu.be/6BbyNFonwBI
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
*Tosses pickaxe over shoulder* Yep , Gonna have to go out to california to get me some internet
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, looks like I will NOT be jumping to VIASAT, however...DirectTV hits the skids on March 3rd after 8 years.....
Photo of Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the feed back. Rabbit Ears hear I come!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2043 Posts
  • 1239 Reply Likes
They have those wall mount type antennas on Amazon.  I've heard people have had somewhat good luck with them, or at least better than what you could get with rabbit ears or a standard extension antenna.  They're not very expensive either.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
DISH?
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
DISH is worse than direct.  Havent heard a single good thing about it.  I have 2 commercial free movie channels on my DTV base package, TCM, and TMC (east) I would lose them both switching to DISH and of course I would lose Audience, DTVs own channel which plays commercial free movies among other things.

I blew 20 bucks or so and bought a "top of set" HD antenna with 75 mile range.  In the right conditions I can get good reception on the networks from WV, and turning it a bit I get 7 channels of PBS CLEARLY.  I live in a "hole" and it was cheap, BUT IT DOES WORK!  And has opened me up to the possibility of investing more money in a much better omni directional outdoor antenna with a  pole/tower set up.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You are getting OU channels.

Of course Matt Lawler got his start there, so good up and coming talent on that channel possibly :).
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 165 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I have TVs all over the house and all are connected via WiFi using the equipment Exede/Viasat furnished, with two connected to DirecTV, and all also have an antenna.. some are modern and flat, some are white and some are black, some are octagon shaped, some are rectangular and some are square, and my computer monitor that has a tuner, is hooked up to good ole UHF/VHF rabbit ears, RCA brand I do believe, and I get almost every channel available for this area on one TV, most of them on another, some but not others on the other, and about half of the channels available over the airwaves on the last one, but I can move some of them just a little and get missing channels. It all depends on what part of the house the TV is in.

With PlayOn folders on my main computer and the PlayOn app on my Roku TVs, I can easily watch anything I've downloaded via the PlayOn Cloud app on my phone and downloaded to the computer during my freezone, anywhere in the house. It's worked out great for me. I avoid streaming anything including youtube videos now, and I am really able to manage well with just the 12 gig monthly limit.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yea Vet its the OU channels, just not sure if I am grabbing them from Athens or Cambridge.  I guess they transmit them all from all their towers?   Each one is branded to a different location.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
You are getting OU channels.
What are OU channels?  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
OU = Ohio University.

They run PBS stations.  As Ron Frank says they have multiple transmitters in southeast Ohio. 

One of the few channels I could get way back in the day.  Of course, that gave me Dr. Who., so who needed more than that!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
Ah, okay.  I looked up OU and Ohio University was the only thing that kept popping up, but I didn't connect them with the PBS statement.  Makes sense, now.  

I get three OTA PBS channels, but they're all from an independent, local PBS channel that has been around since long before I was born, and became an actual PBS affiliate a couple of years before I was born. 

Unfortunately, though, their tower is located in a somewhat different direction, is a good deal further away, and is weaker than nearly all the rest, and sometimes their broadcasts are a little choppy.  And this is with an old style roof antenna (no rotor, though).  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Sorry Gabe, Ohio University has a strong broadcasting department with both radio and TV stations.  OU is based in Athens Ohio but has multiple satellite locations throughout the area and most have studios, transmitters or both.  I assume today in our internet and digital age they are capable of transmitting all 7 of their PBS channels from any given tower, at any given location.
Photo of Brandon Fisher

Brandon Fisher

• 92 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
TBH there is a way to cord cut if you have the right stuff to do it with this service. One is get yourself a router that can have custom firmware flashed and get dd-wrt or gargoyle and limit the bandwith to 1.8mbps. or if you have a roku use the hidden menu options and limit your streaming speed to 1.5 or 2mbps and you should if you don't download large files be able to do it. Oh and also set your Connections in windows to metered connections and make your antivirus software update at 24-48 hour intervals instead of the default which for most is every hour and that alone can eat through cubic crap tone of data. And if you have the knowledge or i can assist you with it create your own private server that can compress data you tunnel all your traffic through it and it compresses it even if it is Https. You can cord cut with the service just not on the lower end plans and without the right setup. I personally was doing it till the policy change on the old unlimited plans. BUt starting Tuesday i will be on the new unlimited gold data plan but may end up moving to platinum because i do like the idea of downloading a game from steam or for my nintendo switch that fast but then again 50mbps may be more than enough for me. Gues ill see but anything is better than what i get now witht he policy change this is what i get on peak hours and also during off peak hours and this is even if not over my data limit.....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So Viasat basically forced you to give then more money and you complied.

A number of us on here are not going to accept that.

I am sure you will like the new plan, and Viasat will appreciate more money from you.

• 3136 Posts
  • 2021 Reply Likes
I switched from my Freedom plan to the Liberty 50 GB plan. The pricing has not changed, but my speeds are back to what they had been before the policy change. Viasat never forced me to do anything. You have the option, as I did, to do whatever you wish with your internet supplier. Sometimes changes happen, you can take the road you feel most comfortable with.

Was I happy to see the policy change? No, but I have limited choices for internet, and I needed speeds above 700 Kbps, so I made the switch to Liberty and am once again seeing speeds of 8 Mbps to 19 Mbps.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Oh Steve, it was probably congestion. That’s what we’ve told each other for years. My speeds miraculously came back as well. Congestion was always to blame before ViaSat openly admitted they can and will throttle at will.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Congestion was always to blame before ViaSat openly admitted they can and will throttle at will.
When did they admit that for Unlimited Plans? Just curious as to the source of that.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Well Mr. Sea Lion, you for one as well as most other champions have blamed congestion as the cause of slow speeds since I’ve followed the forum. ViaSat reps have blamed congestion up until the most recent network management policy changes. Do you need me to go back and find quotes from old golden retriever or ViaSat Brad?

Like for years, people get on here and complain about slow speeds. You and others jump them and say it’s just congestion. Learn to deal with it. Well now we see throttling plays a part for certain. Most people noticed slower speeds on unlimited plans for a while. Doubt seriously these plans weren’t throttled on certain beams for a while. If one can change plans and instantly (or in two days) see faster speeds, then how relevant was congestion in the first place? Maybe bandwidth limitations don’t apply to certain plans now.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You made a statement that they openly admitted throttling, I'm simply asking for the source of your statement.

The only throttling I've seen mentioned (indirectly) is for detected video streams. The network policy does suggest that there could be throttling if you are a heavy user who's gone over your limit substantially, but that would be applied on a monthly basis and only when going over your threshold (not as a result of your past history).

You still apparently don't understand the difference between throttling and prioritization (or network management if you prefer) and the impact that a preemptive queuing strategy would have during network congestion at the packet level. If all unlimited plans and Freedom plans were suddenly subject to (de)prioritization at any time regardless of how much data is being used, it follows that those on "limited" plans would suddenly experience better "speeds" - welcome to the front of the queue (rest assured the mathematics of queuing theory is hard).

Despite your initial rush to judgement, your now experiencing the benefits of the policy change as are others: Steve, Danielle, Christine and now Bradley. I didn;lt change, always being on Liberty but have seen the benefits since the policy change myself but really didn't need the boost. 

Neither you nor anyone else bitching and moaning about this policy chnage has demonstrated that it is throttling and you're the one claiming Viasat has openly admitted it  - I am not a Viasat representative so show me the source of that assertion not explanations about congestion.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sorry Steve I disagree. Viasat extorted you into giving up your 150GB plan by cutting your service to nothing. A plan they said you could keep, but changed how it work.

I agree. We all have choices. The way Viasat has treated their customers over these changes I will no longer support or recommend them. I might keep my service as is or drop them, but I won't change plans.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
LMAO!  I remember the days when they REFUSED to admit congestion was an issue!  I had techs out here EVERY MONTH, sometimes multiple times a month, because surely the "problem" with my slow speeds HAD TO BE ON  MY END!  Then they started charging for all these tech calls to find NOTHING!

Finally, the last tech Ive ever had here sat in my kitchen with a coffee and explained the entire VS2 "sales drive" then the subsequent delays in its launch and the resulting "congestion"  THAT WAS OVER A YEAR BEFORE VIASAT WOULD EVEN UTTER THE WORD "CONGESTION!"  THAT would be admitting fault on THEIR end!

My "regular" speeds were 2 - 5 Mbps, the only time I saw my "up to" and above was during my free zone.  My restricted speeds were 1 - 4 Mbps.  I literally could not tell when I was restricted!  That is when I dropped to the 10G plan, why pay for more priority data at "restricted" speeds?

Then almost a year ago my restricted speeds got "restricted" to 1 Mbps.  From 5AM when I come out of my free zone until 12AM when it starts again NOTHING over 1 Mbps.  During "peak" usage it is utterly USELESS!  The only thing that loads are the redirects to their page telling me I have exceeded my monthly data allowance.  Like I couldnt tell?  Several calls to "customer service" produced only one option, I needed to buy more data.  They insisted I go to a "unlimited" plan to which I replied HELL NO!  3 times what I pay now, for the same speeds AND lose my free zone??  

I am still here ONLY for my free zone, and the fact I am a night owl, but here lately even that is becoming slower and slower.  My video extender is off, and now some nights I suffer from serious buffering that was never an issue before.  Of course throw in that they perform maint and updates during that time so some nights I have no internet or phone at all from 12 to 5.

Ive said for years we were being throttled.  When my speed jumps from 4.3 Mbps to 16 or more at the stroke of midnight when my free zone begins, to my restricted speeds going from 1 - 4 down to below 1 "overnight," that is not "congestion."

I am looking for alternatives.  There is no cell service here, I have Hughesnets info right here beside me I just need to "do it."  I hate "change," and the fact I can never get my free zone back is a major obstacle.   It is not the service, or the congestion driving me away, it is their deceitful business practices.  I am finding it increasingly difficult to remain loyal to a company that couldnt care less about their customers. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Apparently consistent slow speeds throughout the day is deprioritization. Look the other way Ron.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I'm speaking only of the Unlimited Plans and Freedom Plans affected by this policy change Ron. The very fact that you have a midnight to 5 AM free zone says you are on one of the classic limited plans - those were always subject to throttling once you exceeded your data allowance. It's not simply a coincidence that you state "then almost a year ago" - it was just over a year ago that the unlimited plans were intro'd on Viasat-1 and broke the camel's back even when you hadn't exceeded your data allowance.

The relief some are getting by moving to Liberty from the affected plans will only be temporary. If all of those on the affected plans were to move over to Liberty right this moment we'd be right back where we were prior to the change - but it'll take some time as folks hem and jaw over switching to Liberty or simply moving on. If it's me I switch to the lowest Liberty plan, save some $$$ while evaluating my options.   
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Yes it could in fact be that Bradley.

If you're in one of two lines where the other line is serviced prior to yours, you and anyone else stuck in that line will only be serviced when it's empty up until someone else arrives in that line (now apply that to your packets).

The solution is simple... add more servicing capacity. Unfortunately the bottleneck is 22000 plus miles away.

While the math behind it all is complex the concept isn't. So I'm waiting on the source for your statement that Viasat admitted throttling... which was what started this debate befor you switched to the congestion topic.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Sorry VeteranSatUser, Steve wasn't extorted but rather took the best course of action for his circumstances - usable internet. The same goes for Danielle Brennan Christine Conrad and who knows how many others. Viasat doesn't appear ready to roll the clock back to January 15 just yet and any legal avenues forcing them to do so will take some time - by that time it's been rumored Viasat will have sold its residential subscribers ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
So here is the clearest reference in the policy you love to link.

In addition, if needed to address congestion in a spot beam, Viasat may further reduce the speeds of the Network traffic of heavier users of Liberty Pass Users, Excess Freedom Users and other subscribers with a high-data threshold service plan (for example, Freedom subscribers and unlimited data plan subscribers who purchased their plan prior to February 13, 2018) through the end of their then-current billing period if de-prioritization is not sufficient to adequately manage congestion.”
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Thanks but if you haven't exceed your threshold it doesn't appear to have any impact - you wouldn't be a heavier user until exceeding the threshold; and then only subject to it though the end of the current month if de-prioritization were not sufficient.

Until you exceed your threshold, you ain't heavy .
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Casual Observer, I started with Wildblue, then Exede and now Viasat.   Years ago I was VERY happy with my service.  I was hung up on "numbers" like so many are today and complained constantly about never seeing my "up to" speeds and the major slow down when school let out, or the weather was bad and people were stuck indoors .... online.  But through it all I could do what I wanted, when I wanted!  Watch a video at 4PM  WHO CARES?   Oops, went over data, WHO CARES?  My "up to" speed was 12, my peak speed was 2.3 and my restricted speed was 2.3, OH how I long for those days again!

Over the past few years I have watched my service deteriorate, BUT NOT MY BILL!  I know the hardware can provide the quality service I enjoyed 4 - 5 years ago, I HAD IT!  The only two factors that have changed is the number of subscribers ... THEIR FAULT!  And changes they have made to the service ... THEIR FAULT!

TRUST ME!  I have seen these changes severely affecting my quality of service mysteriously coincide with the launch of new plans essentially "bullying" me into paying them more money!

I anxiously awaited VS2 and the "unlimited" plans!  I am on a fixed income.  so that meant I could finally cut the cord on my satellite TV service and save $100+ a month.  WRONG!

"Unlimited" would cost me $100+ more a month, so any savings would be a wash.
"Unlimited" was actually "limited" to 150, then 100, and last I saw 60 Gig a month.
"Unlimited" had locked in video limiting
"Unlimited" was offered here, dropped, then offered again, and now dropped again.
"Unlimited" here dropped all the way down to speeds "up to" 12. When still offered.

I am on one of, if not the most overcrowded beam on VS1, YEARS Ive been waiting for Viasat2 to be launched and go into service and "fix everything."  Now I learn VS2 doesnt even have a beam serving my area.

No explanation from Viasat, no practical solution from Viasat, no compensation from Viasat, NOT EVEN AN APOLOGY FROM VIASAT!  Yet they have no problem charging me every month for the same amount as someone with better service!

Im simply over it!  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
It’s not what it says Casual Observer.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
98% of what you say applies to me also, Ron, but appears you're most definitely not over it; Now it appears I can get Unlimited once again on Viasat-1 (silver with the lower threshold), not that I would and ain't that a crock of spit!

Interpret it as you will, Bradley - you and I both always will and it's been that way since day 1 when you showed up here. Everyone is free to interpret that paragraph as they please and then place it in the context of the entire Network Management Policy. As the last sentence in that document says:

If you have any questions about the Viasat broadband Network or Viasat’s network management practices, please visit our website at www.exede.com or contact customer service at 1-855-463-9333.

I have none and this ain't the web site but good luck with that phone call .

I'm not going to succumb to Viasat Derangement Syndrome - I'm evaluating my own options and will move on when I find a better one. When that happens, I'll gladly walk out the Viasat door, let it hit me in the arse and not look back - wouldn't want to turn into a pillar of salt. Until that time, I'll make the best of it - Viasat owes me no loyalty, nor I them. They provide a service I pay for it - if it's not acceptable I move on without saying goodbye other than to cancel.

Some of y'all need to calm down, the stress ain't worth it - trust me I've got the chest scar to prove it which was primarily caused by too much stress.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Yea, Im a procrastinator!  As I said I HATE change!   I had Hughes many years ago and they were the reason I went to Wildblue.  Not even a year into my 2 year contract!  That was 4 Gens ago, people say its different now, but I still get a bad taste just thinking about them.

I keep HOPING they build a cell tower nearby or FINALLY swap over the retired microwave tower near me Verizon bought like 5 years ago.

But then I am also waiting to win Powerball and buy that 58 acre farm near the city, with city water, cable TV and DSL  LOL
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Lot of that going around, but more complacency than procrastination - if it's not broke don't fix it.  Well, it's broke, everybody got a wake up call and some are finding they had better options already available to them.

But look on the bright side, you've probably got better odds of winning Powerball than getting an apology from Viasat. 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Casual Observer. I would love to have better options than satellite. Heck, I wouldn't mind just having ONE better option. But I don't, so it's either satellite or nothing and I'm at the mercy of their plan changes or whatever they deem appropriate for traffic management.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Currently I have no better option either but will be evaluating one this spring. Unlike others, I'm not affected by this policy change. But other changes will undoubtedly follow. I empathize with those affected as I wait for the other shoe to drop - I'll be ready when it does. 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I haven't noticed much difference in my Freedom plan since these changes went into effect. It is a little slower during primetime than before, but not much. Not enough to make me want to change plans and give up 150GB of priority data.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
fmj77 I HEAR YOU!  We bought this house 7 years ago, at which time there was NO cell service here.  They have since built more than 3 towers we know of and we are on the outer fringes of all 3.  One day we MIGHT get 4 bars and the next, no signal at all.  It depends on weather, leaves on the trees etc.

Not only am I "rural," but I moved from Connecticut, to Ohio, the land that time forgot!  It was a shock, like stepping back into the 50s LOL   The technology IS catching up out here, but ever so SLOWLY!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
This needs to stop right now!  I can't  let this go on anymore....

"Well Mr. Sea Lion"

Walrus...................................................................Sea Lion

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
Sea lions are the noisiest pinnipeds. Same suborder.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
So are Monkeys and Humans... same suborder, but very different.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 417 Reply Likes
True. Never classified them the same myself. Made bad on a test once in college because of it. I put humans in a different category, those with a soul.

Didn’t fly well at a liberal university. Oh well. I won’t be serving them ice water later in life either.

Both are mammals is as far as I’d go.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Just a correction. Humans and the great apes(chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans) are classified as hominids. Monkeys are not classified in the same family.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
"same suborder"
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Does anybody have any clams?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I worked with a lady years ago who had a pet chimp named Buddy. Buddy knew sign language, went to the fridge himself to get snacks and used the toilet like a normal person. He was smarter than some people I've met. Sadly, he died of alcohol poisoning at a party they had one night.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2031 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
How 'bout some oysters?  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Humans don’t have the most brain capacity. Whales do.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
No thanks, I just took a blue pill and that would be overkill, Gabe.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2031 Posts
  • 1235 Reply Likes
Blue pill?  I would have thought you were a red pill person.  Then again, I might choose the blue pill, too.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Stephen

Bird brains are highly dense with more cells per cubic cc...just remember, Tweety Bird was a Hollywood star.