Unhappy with DirecTV/internet package

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
The Direct TV/Internet package sold to me has been a disaster from the get-go. No disclosure of internet details, a 14-page on-line contract presented after the satellite service (a surprise to me: thought it was ATT provided) was installed, ownership of the satellite even after discontinuing service, etc. Notification of contract details via snail mail three days after installation. Reps are unfailingly polite but not helpful. A total disaster
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
But you still owe and are getting up to 25mbps accordingly the champions. good luck in cutting ties with this find upstanding company
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Hi Howard, there is a bit of a learning curve with Exede Internet service. Yes, in areas where AT&T/DirecTV does not offer fiber or cable service, they do partner with Exede/Viasat to provide internet service.

If you are having any problem or have any questions, you can ask here and we will do our best to help and answer your questions. You can also email your account and contact information as well as your questions or concerns to exedelistens@viasat.com and, someone who works for Viasat/Exede will be happy to help you.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3483 Posts
  • 1306 Reply Likes
Hi Howard,

I've been personally working on investigating some of our DirecTV point of sales so I'd really want to look into this for you. Could you email me at exedelistens@viasat.com?
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
DirecTV went on sale Oct 10 1994, I was a customer Oct 11 1994. I purchased it the 10th, but waited until the following day to install it.  They have gone down hill since.  The biggest plummet was 2 years ago when AT&T acquired them.  I tried to save money and bundle it with my Exede, NOPE!  "New customers only"  Now they keep offering me discounts if I bundle with AT&T cell phones.  There are NO AT&T towers here and I can not get AT&T phone here.  The prices keep going up, the customer service keeps going down,  Just last week we had a big fight with them to remove a bogus charge from our bill, AGAIN, and they refused.  Same old story, "once its on the bill, it can not be removed" that is why we dont get the discount for "autopay" because once they actually take the money for the bogus charges  GOOD LUCK!  A "refund" or credit is 20 times harder to get than simply removing something from a bill.  They simply want MORE customers.  They dont care about their old customers or whether they are happy or not.  Combine all this with half or more of the networks playing the same stinking show over, and over, and over all day long ... THIS is why I hang on for Viasat2  I cant wait for the day I can cut the cord and stream what I want when I want through my internet!    OH HAPPY DAY!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3471 Posts
  • 1306 Reply Likes
Back then you were able to self-install too! I can't imagine how many people fell off the roof or stepped through a ceiling during those days.

As for it now....gotta love those mergers right? I think a lot of these companies are going for "cord cutting TV" which is basically going to be cable/satellite without a box or equipment but now without being in a Satellite only area or a Comcast only area you'll have Hulu, and Youtube in the mix as well offering "cable". I'm hoping that probably once we get to the testing phase of ViaSat 2 in a few months we can maybe give some information of what options we'll be able to offer for streaming.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Brad, so far this year in anticipation of Viasat2 we have installed a Playstation, and a smart Blu Ray player with internet.  We play around in our free time midnight to 5AM with our current speeds (average 4 - 5 Mbps) and so far we LOVE IT!  We have even watched endless Youtube music videos BELOW 1Mbps without issue!  I am an Amazon Prime member and once everything is operational we plan on Amazon Fire TV.  (Firestick)  My biggest concern as Ive stated before is the dreaded "data cap", how fast we blow through it, and the consequences if we do.  My wife and I are both disabled and sadly TV plays a major role in our lives.  Far more than the average 4 to 6 hours a day.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I'm hoping everyone will get something to allow cutting the cord at least by the time VS3 is fully operational. I'd love to be able to ditch DTV in favor of Sling, Hulu, Netflix and YouTube.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sports is the one drawback as networks are keeping a tight grip on those. Yes, I know there are ways around that, but not necessarily legal ways.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I don't care about sports and, we have XMRadio for my husband who only cares about football - good enough. Beats that 200/mo DTV bill.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I am on the lowest plan with DTV but after fees etc for 2 boxes, AND 2 TVs and HD and DVR and DVR "service" we are up to $100 a month.  I have told DTV multiple times ... if I want to watch 16 hours straight of American Pickers, or Law & Order, or Diners Drive Ins and Dives I can buy the seasons on DVD and not pay them $100 a month!  We like movies, and shows that stimulate your mind.  OLD History, OLD TLC, OLD Discovery before everything went reality shows.   YUP, streaming is gonna be our BEST option!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
You sound like me. Yes I want to see the new episode of Chopped - No I do not like paying for 7 reruns of the same episode all week. Yes I wanted to see the live coverage of the Solar Eclipse - No I do not like paying 200 a month so that I can watch repeats of the SAME once live show all day long.

Streaming is the way to go, endless repeats is no good and. not worth the cost but, until Viasat makes using around 4 to 6 GB for streaming per day an affordable reality, I'm stuck with DTV bills.
Photo of Barbara Hood

Barbara Hood

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have Directv. From the installer and these unasked for items, such as Viasat Internet (what happened to xfinity internet they are supposed to use), the price and the tv watching is a joke. I have to try to  get rid of viasat. I can't even watch on demand. I have to record it and then watch it later because the internet is so slow. I am fed up. Time to make a few phone calls...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Yes. Sounds right. If you have alternative forms of internet and want to stream, Viasat is not the best option.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
I have to record it and then watch it later because the internet is so slow.
Though my sat internet is good enough to stream, for the most part, I use PlayOn Cloud to record the items, anyway.  There are just too many advantages to it to not do so from the most popular sources.  No buffering.  Keeping the files.  Being able to write them to just about anything and watch them from just about anything. 

I won a 1TB SDD on Newegg's Facebook page a couple of months ago, and use it in an external USB 3.0 HDD enclosure.  It works perfectly.  And, even though PlayOn Cloud only records in 720p, because Netflix uses superior codecs the resulting image is nearly as good as full HD, and actually looks just as good, to me. 

Again, there are just too many advantages to not do it this way vs regular streaming.  And, in the end, it only costs me about 17 cents per recording.    
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
DTV went public Oct 10 1994, I purchased my kit, but didnt join until the following day when I installed it.  Back then I had EVERYTHING for about what I pay now for basic and a whole home DVR.

Of course I looked into the "bundle" when it was offered, but it was only a promotional deal for a limited time, FOR NEW SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!  Once again, no consideration at all for customer loyalty!

My DTV has NEVER been hooked to the internet.  It wasnt so much a speed concern as it was about burning through my limited data.

My interest in streaming peaked only recently as an escape from watching the same stinking shows repetitively on the networks, and a way to lower my monthly bills.

Since the DTV - AT&T buyout its become horrible.  AT&T made it clear from the beginning they had NO desire to be in the satellite TV business, it was a quick way to shoot them to the top of the streaming industry.  Now everything is DirecTV to Go and watch your favorite shows anywhere blah, blah, blah.  I did not pay $1,000+ for a 60 inch TV and I do not pay $100 a month for satellite TV to watch ANOTHER 10 year old episode of Law & Order SVU on a 5 inch screen at my doctors office!

Sorry it just BURNS me that my friends pay less than I do for UNLIMITED landline internet and go pay >$50 for a Roku or a Firestick and watch what they want when they want, on their big screen TV in their living room!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2770 Posts
  • 1444 Reply Likes
Didn’t AT&T make some sort of announcement that they aren’t putting any more satellites in orbit? That’s pretty crappy considering they purchased Directv a few years ago.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
That is correct.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Stephen Rice, as a long time DTV customer I watched the buyout closely.  I was appalled the FCC allowed it to happen!   AT&T made it clear they were ONLY buying DTV to save time and money becoming a "broadcasting company" or "television provider" whatever term they use.

It bypassed the fees and red tape of government licensing, the costs and negotiations of contracts with individual networks, and DTVs streaming app already had their foot in the door and was the major interest of the largest cell phone provider.

Yup, they said from day one they had no interest what so ever in satellite TV and planned to invest nothing in any sort of technology or equipment upgrades.

I am waiting for the "satellite" division of DTV to be sold off, in fact I am surprised it has not happened already.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Dish will be all that is left.

Of course I am waiting for Viasat to sell its residential internet division too.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
As I've mentioned, I have been able to argue Direct down to $50-$60 or so the last several years (two tvs, dvr, forget the name of the package but not the base one, close to $80 off the time before last).  But I know they are going to stop doing that, and, not really worth the hassle of haggling anymore.  Prices are ridiculous.  Might go all streaming, but wanted to make absolutely sure that the internet situation was stable first.

"Dish will be all that is left."

Sold at places like Best Buy, you can self install and own the equipment.  Free locals*
orbytv.com

*with included over-the-air antenna *if you are in range of broadcast towers

Doesn't look the best, new, but an option anyway.

Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yup got my DTV down $30 a month right now, but doesnt change the fact the programming sucks.

I tell them that every time I talk to them.  Half the networks are owned by the same company and play marathons of the same show all day long.  Now they are showing the same programs on multiple channels, multiple days .... its disgusting.  Its not DTVs fault but ultimately they are the ones we are "paying" for it.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I started with c-band when I was young.  I miss that, it started out free, then they started scrambling everything.  People (but not us, really) bought illegal descramblers that got everything free again.  Then, some people got in trouble, so people were afraid that "they" could track them, so some people got paranoid and buried theirs.  We had a legal descrambler, you could pick each individual channel you wanted, or choose some bundles.  My memory is poor, but I recall having a networks plus superstations package, and that was most of it.  Plus, there was still a lot of free stuff.  Our system required moving the dish by pushing the button (no remote).  Had that until '99, cost of repairs would have been high, so I self installed Dish.  Programming was higher of course, but "convenience" was worth a little at the time.  I got a rebate for self-install, covered most of the equipment and a fair chunk of programming.  Applying what would have cost to repair, well replace the old dish equipment, that amount paid a few years of the new Dish service.  When I quit Cband, they were starting to push bundling more, the individual choice seemed to be going away.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Forgot to say, I agree with programming.  If I wasn't paying for someone that can only sit around most of the day, I wouldn't have it myself, other than Hulu or something, for sure.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Netflix and Amazon have superior programming, but I need sports and news off my Directv. Other than those, I could survive without Directv.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
The Welcome Pack that Dish offers is the best deal out there in my opinion. $25 per month for around 40-50 channels and it includes locals. You have to call and ask for it though.
Photo of Larry Quimby

Larry Quimby

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ExSatUser, problem is, I need an internet connection to watch Neflix or Amazon. Viasat didn't even kiss me before screwing me by "prioritizing" my data rate to 210 kbps. I get my TV through Dish.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
PlayOn Cloud.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 326 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
No, Dish network won' t be the only one. There's Orby tv. Basically a satellite skinny bundle.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I would like to try Orby, except that I can't get locals with an outdoor antenna.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Same here. When they went to HD, that took away any broadcast TV I can get. Over 50 miles from any broadcast tower.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It sucks. My dad lives in town and he can get over 50 channels OTA crystal clear with an antenna on his roof. Better picture quality than I've ever seen from any satellite or cable receiver.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
That's definitely one disadvantage to digital TV.  With analog you could still get the signal from distant towers, though the more distant they were, the more fuzzy it would be.  But, people kind of got used that.  

With digital TV, it's either perfect or it doesn't work.  There's no in between.  

I have an old fashioned roof antenna, though it's attached to a tall pole that's mounted up the side of my house with brackets.  I can turn it by hand.  I can get about 25 channels and sub channels.  I'm sure I could get more with a better antenna.  Quite possibly around 50.  I live on the side of a large hill that's facing Buffalo, and the towers range from about 35 to 50 miles away.  

When I was a kid we could actually get a few Canadian stations.  Both from Hamilton and Toronto.  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Looking into Orby now.  Their website is a whole lot of hype with very little information.    I can get a few stations on a junk top of the set antenna   All I watch on network (local) TV is local news and weather so Im covered.  I can get Orby and a couple movie networks for less than my discounted DTV basic.

I am happy with Orbys channel lineup, its similar to my DTV basic plan without 65 home shopping networks, and 10 channels of "Audience" DTVs own channel.  ANYTHING to boost those channel numbers right??

I had to research to find the "price" does NOT include the dish or related hardware!  You have to pay for a pro install OR buy the "self install kit" which is only $65 cheaper.

Its twice as much for a DVR box, plus extra for DVR "service" then it only says you can record while watching TV... so I can only assume it records ONE channel at a time?   Then there is NOTHING listed about memory ... how many shows will the DVR hold?

Its funny that its plastered on the site "FREE local channels"  LMAO if you get an HD antenna they are still free without paying Orby???

I literally kept waiting for the "BUT WAIT!!  THERES MORE!!"  banner, but its just not there, just as any kind of serious technical data is not there.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3471 Posts
  • 1306 Reply Likes
hmm interesting haven't heard of Orby before 3 minutes ago. Looks like about the price of Vue and HBO's about HBONow pricing but without having to stream.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Directv is still counting shopping and PPV channels as part of the number of channels in a package? That is weak.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
I wonder if the slew of music only channels are counted, as well.  I did notice that very recently they added a few "west" channels.  TNT, TBS, Comedy Central and BET (901 and 902), and a few others.

With the number of reruns on those channels, and the ability to record many items at the same time, the only reason I can see for them adding those channels is to inflate the number of channels offered.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Most of the channels are worthless. Sports and news is what I watch. Everything else is Netflix.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I am tempted to try Directv I had it from it's birth till 2010. My main interest would be sports as they have sucked most of that off of free TV. Also where I am at the games on radio have shifted to stations that have a weak signal that rarely comes in, even the FM ones. The amount of sports offered on broadcast TV drops by the year. I also wonder can you run 2 TVs without 2 boxes if they are on the same channel?
Can you watch a decent amount of NFL, NBA, and auto racing for like $60 or so?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
With a good internet connection and watching illegal streaming feeds :).
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Will Seemore, I am NOT into sports, but hands down I have to say DTV definitely covers sports fans.  Not my basic service but the next one up includes ESPN 1&2 and FSN.  Of course you get all the games covered on regular networks ABC, CBS, FOX etc and TBS and others in the cable spectrum.

Their sports programming like NFL Sunday Ticket is PRICEY but true fans swear by it, and they will break it into payments so it doesnt break the bank.

You will however need to really nit pick to keep it under $60 a month.  Yea the "package" might be $40 a month but after all the added fees for other stuff like a second TV and DVR service etc it can easily double without realizing it.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Brad, I never heard of Orby until 4 days ago when aabbcc posted the address (above), then yesterday I caught an ad on TV for it so I looked into it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
All NFL games are streamed illegally, so you can watch without Sunday ticket. Of course, you need a really good internet connection for that.

If not one thing it is another!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info Ron, I originally signed up for Directv in 1994 for the NFL package in So Cal, I let Directv go when I moved to Virginia in 2010.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2770 Posts
  • 1444 Reply Likes
I miss the good old days of 1994 Directv and USSB.

I had a plan from USSB for $10 a month that included Comedy Central, MTV 1 and 2, Nickelodeon, TV Land, The All News Channel, Lifetime and a handful of other stations totaling about 10 networks.

I called to cancel one day and they dropped the price down to $5 a month!

Back then MTV and Comedy Central were still good networks so I was a pretty happy camper. Then Directv bought out USSB and my cheap package was gone. That was when I jumped ship for good.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
I figured you for a Primestar kind of guy.

Anybody remember DirectDuo? Get your satellite internet and TV in one dish!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Anybody remember OnTV? One channel for $20 a month and that was 40 years ago.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I guess Im just OLD.  As a child growing up in the shadow of NYC there was no shortage of free TV, all the CT stations and NYC stations within 75 - 100 miles and easily received with a pair of rabbit ears and some tin foil  LOL

Now as an adult I miss the days of MTV playing music videos and History showing history shows, and HBO showing movies.  I miss the days of networks competing with each other not all owned by the same corporate giant.

I am sick of scripted reality shows, networks playing the same show ALL DAY LONG!  And now, multiple networks showing the same show simultaneously.  

Most of all I am sick of the COMMERCIALS!  I live in the sticks so do not tease me with pizza at midnight when NOBODY delivers out here!  Do not show me a tantalizing meal any time of day when your nearest restaurant is over 75 miles away.  I am not in the market to lease a new Land Rover for $769 a month.  Its utterly ridiculous, however I did ask my doctor about Invokana, and now I am talking to a lawyer about the Invokana class action suit.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2066 Posts
  • 1259 Reply Likes
I miss Headbanger's Ball.  Making chicken wings and watching Headbanger's Ball was how I would spend my Saturday nights back then.  Those were the days!  :)  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@Will, yep I had OnTv back in the 1970s when I was in junior high. It was just one channel with movies 24 hours a day. It was back before cable TV and HBO had just come out as well. You had to have a decoder box just to receive one channel.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2770 Posts
  • 1444 Reply Likes
Primestar and USSB were not the same company.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I think OnTv varied by location. Back then I lived in SoCal and we got the Los Angeles area programming. It showed home games of the local pro sports teams that were blacked out on local TV. Baseball, basketball, and hockey, it did not show football. It also showed boxing and concerts. If there was a sporting event that is what was shown in prime time with the movies before and after it. I was in High School when we had it when it first came out.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Never heard of OnTv. Looked it up. Still never heard of it.

Had the big dish back in the day. Those worked great for a few years as a lot of the transmission signals were unscrambled. Then you could even buy the descrambler boxes (legally and illegally). Once Directv, Primestar, and other small dish companies hit in 1994, the big dishes quickly faded away.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
OnTv was only available in select markets and they went out of business 35 years ago. I remember the big dishes they had them in sports bars where I lived. The guides the guys looked in to find games were huge. How did you tune them in?
(Edited)
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Never heard of OnTv either.  As I've mentioned, I had C-band.  I remember picking up the programming guide once in a while when in town, not often.  My memory is failing, but I think it was monthly, and thick?  Even forgot the name, Orbit maybe?  I can't say that I miss moving the dish.  Inside box with buttons, hold the button to get to a certain number/location for a different satellite, which would get a different set of channels, which were switched to on the other box.  Our setup didn't have a remote.

I don't watch sports at all.  Also, never watched MTV, not even a little.  My mom had a full German dad with the accent and everything.  He played an accordion and sang in German.  He died of old age 20 years before I was born.  Basically, because of that, my earliest years in the late 70s-80s, I was listening to Polka music, not entirely by choice....  It was on one of the only radio stations we could get (on their AM side).  So, milking cows, that was going literally all the time.  MTV would not have been allowed in the house....

Orby, I see some comments on picture quality.  Also, I think they lease "only" a couple transponders, not much room for high quality data.  I'm really not very picky.  But, the type of equipment, if they are around a while, I'd think there'd be a possibility of "sales" or buying used, etc.  I self-installed Dish in '99 (and upgraded the Dish to Dish 500 from a garage sale), so self-installing wouldn't be that bad.  So, I'll keep an eye on them
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1152 Posts
  • 720 Reply Likes
Orbit was indeed the name of the channel guide!

(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I remember Orbit well back when we had one of those huge satellite Dishes. This was in the early and mid 1980s before our neighborhood got wired for cable. After they started scrambling many of the channels my dad would call our installer once a month or so to get a code from him. You would enter the code into the receiver to descramble all the channels
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I remember that cover. Don't know what they officially called them but they had syndication channels, free. Something like 5 episodes in a row, had the screen with the colorful bars in between. I'd VCR those. TNG was one show on them. Guess I recorded about everything I watched when I was young.

Fmj, I mentioned before about the illegal descramblers (because the legal ones didn't need codes, unless there's a weird type I didn't know about), some people got paranoid they could be "seen" and buried them.