A new change for 150meg accounts?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
It seems the base line during congested times has changed. I can hold 1.8mb now during prime time. Last few weeks during prime time was sub 1.1mb. 480p video limit still can't be reached with YouTube....but at least it would seem someone made a change to those of us still holding onto 150m accounts.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 292 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Or just a result of fewer subscribers in your spot beam's channel having those plans:

The traffic of each subscriber is associated with a single spot beam.  Viasat strives to load its system so that at any given time the traffic load across different subsets of the capacity available on a spot beam (each a “Channel”) within a given spot beam is roughly comparable, except subscribers who have high-data threshold service plans may be grouped in a Channel together with other like subscribers.  Available capacity within any given spot beam or Channel is largely fixed; subscribers assigned to a Channel share the available bandwidth in that Channel.

Probably fewer holding on to the legacy 150 MB plans in your spot beam channel and fewer sharing that fixed capacity... be among the last few standing in your Channel. It;'s not simply prioritization.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
All depends on the day, time of day, and number of people using the system. One speed test at any particular time does not indicate a trend.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3429 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update Oliver! We'll be interested to see if it stays or improves
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 284 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Freedom 150 on Beam 329 here and I was thinking the same thing. It seems better. It really crashed there for a while, so 'better' isn't anything to write home about, but much more usable after 4p and into the evening.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 284 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Spoke too soon....   :::sigh:::
Photo of Samuel Buchanan

Samuel Buchanan

• 4 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have never been more disappointed with a company than I have with VIASAT.  I signed a contract for 2 years, which If I broke, i would be forced to pay a fee.  They can throttle my speeds intentionally, to force me into a plan that costs more, but provides less with no such penalty to them.  This is unscrupulous and completely unacceptable.  They make Comcast look downright honest and forthright.  At least they didn't screw me over until mu contract was up. If there were a class action against them for this I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  I told the nearly unintelligible CSR that I would be a fool to sign up on a new plan with a company that has already blatantly lied to me.  Piss off Viasat.  I sang your praises for awhile.  Now I will lobby with anyone whom will listen to avoid you like the plague.  

Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Beam 329 has probably improved because Verizon and AT & T improved service in some of the areas of that beam and VIASAT was dumped for them. A small sample, I dumped VIASAT for Verizon & my closest neighbor 1/4 mile away dumped Hughes Net for AT & T in the last 5 months. Pretty sure plenty others in the beam 329 area have done the same.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 284 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
We're about 30 minutes apart and that makes all the difference. I am waiting to get someone to install the antenna on the roof. ATT does not work here at all.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
ATT was the first wireless internet I tried here almost 5 years ago & it was more useless than over congested dial up. Just from personal experience and word of mouth ATT & Verizon are the only ones with usable cell service in my immediate area from when I moved here 8 years ago till now.  No idea if my neighbor's ATT is better or worse than my Verizon internet. 3 years ago my neighbors still had dial up and that was their first internet as they have lived in their house 25 years. They then went to Hughes Net and now ATT. So they thought the satellite was great as they didn't know any better.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes I am on the Freedom 150 plan and this week my speed has incresed greatly. I am getting between 12-20 mbps all day and night now. I was lucky to get 1 after the policy change. Did something change?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Probably your modem didn't get the signal to crank you down.
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No I got cranked down big time, but since this week it has improved
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Craig....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Give it time. It will change again. Viasat performance is just like the weather.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1772 Posts
  • 1078 Reply Likes

I am not stlcardy and stlcardy is not me,  nor is that person trying to imitate me. They have their own situation and are sharing their Viasat experience.

I do stop in now and then to review what a pathetic mess Viasat has made of their residential business, all in the name of betrayal and greed to the extent the end justifies the means.

My ViaSat speed is still less than 1Mbps but I don't really care anymore since joining Cruzio.  Symmetrical Gigabit speed is strange in that I can go to websites that can't keep up with me.  I'm keeping my ViaSat account just to occupy the space they so desperately want to slice and dice into 3 or more accounts (you figure out the coming congestion).

I've got one other thread to chime into and then I'll be gone again for awhile.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Everyone else gets just Gigabit speed but the ever impressive Craig gets "Symmetrical Gigabit speed".  We are all so impressed.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
IDK about that, but here is a speed test off their website.

Call me impressed! If J & J can get that, I would jump on that too!
(Edited)
Photo of stlcardy

stlcardy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
My whole time on VIASAT I never saw over 12 Mbs and I tested a zillion times. I saw plenty less than 1 Mbs though.