8 months in...

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
And I love it. The low data limit sucks, am able to stream a little on the weekends though, but the speed is quite good still after the few weeks a couple of months back, even better than it was before. Would be nice if I could dump DirecTV and go with just streaming services, but not until the data caps are increased, which I doubt will happen even after Viasat-3 enters service.

Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
What part of the country are you in?
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Mississippi, where half the population doesn't have access to hardline broadband.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Silver, and my data resets on the 4th so I haven't exceeded my cap yet. When I do exceed my cap it drops, as expected, to 100-150KB/s.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 314 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
100-150KB/s (0.8 - 1.5 Mbps)  at all times or just during what would be considered peak usage periods? If not at all times what are you looking at during non-peak usage periods after exceeding your data usage threshold?
(Edited)
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
At all times, but that's why I count every megabyte to be sure I have at least a couple of gigs left for the end of the month so I can update programs and Windows.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1601 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
That is fine and I am glad you are satisfied. But here is the problem with Viasat's marketing. They sell that plan as "unlimited" and if you go over the cap, the internet is basically useless. You stream little, and use a small amount of data. Works great for you. Unfortunately, many customers fall for the lure of how the plan is marketed, and end up very disappointed.
(Edited)
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
9 months ago I was with HughesNet paying the same amount for 20GB of data and half the speeds (and a crapton of packet loss). At least now I can stream a bit and not have to worry about a large program or OS update eat up a large percentage of my monthly data. Paying $2/GB of data isn't ideal, and of course the latency means that I can't play online games or use game consoles, and I still have to pay over $125 to DirecTV, but it is what it is.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1601 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
It is. But location plays a role too. Where I live Hughesnet is cheaper and performs better that Viasat. Where I live, Viasat had become worthless.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing your positive review and understanding of how the service works. I too love my Viasat Service. You’ll find that is a very unpopular opinion on here, especially with all the ex clients that refuse to leave this forum.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2245 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Not bad.  Not bad at all.