773 MB's used in 56 minutes... really?

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
This is not even possible. I'm not downloading anything. I've reported this last month and had the tech people look at this , he verified I was not even browsing the internet and it was just ticking off data like water out of a water faucet. I need this to stop and I need this to STOP NOW !!!!!!!!
Photo of kjboxers

kjboxers

• 53 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
  • ticked off.. and bleeding data

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2568 Posts
  • 1581 Reply Likes
You need to find out what device is using your data. The best way is to use a good wireless router with traffic monitoring capabilities. My router details what device uses data, the time it was used, the quantity, and what type of files were downloaded.

This morning I have had two of my computers download Windows 10 upgrades, one used 700 MB, the other 600 MB, all In less than an hour.

There are many other things that can cause data usage in the background, and until you zero in on them, the data usage will continue unharnessed.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1857 Posts
  • 845 Reply Likes
Sounds very possible to me.  Are you using any devices that stream data or perhaps an X-box?  All of those devices can pull updates in the background.

I'm not a gamer, but I was shocked when I was at a friends house and she downloaded a 50 gb game to whatever nintendo type device she had.  She was on cable internet, and fankly up until that time I had no idea that video games could use so much data.

I'm not saying you have a video game, but there are lots of devices and windows updates that pull data in the background.
Photo of Stephen Stecyk

Stephen Stecyk

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had issues similar, though mine were GB in a matter of hours. I set up a wireless router that had a traffic monitor right behind the exede modem, and I could see all the traffic. Mine turned out to be a broken SBS 2011 install (exchange).
Photo of Don Linda Pierce

Don Linda Pierce

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had a problem last week were all my 10GB of data got used up in one day putting me into Liberty. The following day another 6GB was used while I was away from home. It turns out the problem was with Windows 10. The updater was failing and it kept downloading and retrying to update. I had to do a Windows reset to fix the problem.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Hi All, It is quite easy to use all your data in a matter of hours based on what you are using it for, how many devices are being used, and how many pages are kept open while browsing. Updates to application, or,or your operating system, especially Windows 10.  If you would like us to review your account data, please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com or call 855.463.9333
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 990 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Why not just allow users to see this info on the Exede login pages? Would save you a lot of calls and emails.