503 Error returned only when using Exede to access one website

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
Since the first week of June, one of my favorite forums has been inaccessible through Exede –

When I click on the favorite, or type in the website manually, I get back “Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable”. I get this message on my desktop, notebook and laptop only when going through Exede, but my laptop can get the website using a free Wifi signal, and the notebook can get the site through Verizon.

Today, when rain interfered with the sat signal, every website, including Steel Soldiers, gave me the normal signal disruption notation that the websites cannot be displayed. This leads me to believe that the problem is not my receiver or modem, but somewhere upstream of my receiver. I have rebooted both the modem and Exede receiver twice with no changes. As far as I know, this website is the only one affected.

Do you have any idea how I can access Steel Soldiers again?
Photo of Doug Russell

Doug Russell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jack Prindle

Jack Prindle

• 52 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
What are you using for your DNS server? exede default DNS?
Perhaps try setting up one of your a Chinese to use Google DNS server Or openDNS and see if you get the same connection error. I suspect that is the issue.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 517 Posts
  • 359 Reply Likes
Exede's DNS server overrides other DNS servers you set up. It won't work.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 847 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
It isn't the DNS server, it is likely the caching server. Put in a service request to have the site unblocked from the Acccelnet servers. It may take a couple days / weeks / months but they can get it unblocked. Others have had the same problems. Exede does not override your DNS servers, but the Accelnet and proxy they use can cause this. Only way around that is to use a VPN which routes your traffic through a network other than Exede through the encrypted tunnel. Of course this increases your BW utilization due to the overhead on the VPN traffic.

Added note, I can access the forum home page just fine so it may be limited just to the Accelnet server you are using for your beam or a problem on your local computer.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2471 Posts
  • 1513 Reply Likes
I  have no problem accessing this site using Exede.
Photo of HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
@Doug Russell--just read your post and clicked steelsoldiers link you had in your post. Took me right there and ask for my password. I have Exede classic and NO router or anything. My Exede modem is plugged directly into computer.
Photo of Exede Lindsey

Exede Lindsey

• 1827 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Hello Doug, I would be glad to review your account to see if there may be a possible issue with your Exede service and the specific website to which you received errors upon access. Please send your account and contact info to exedelistens@viasat.com Thank you.