480p video

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
Video "optimization"--I'm a prospective Exede customer, and I noticed video streaming is "optimized" at 480p. A competitor offers the same thing, but allows for changes in preferences if subscribers want to stream video at full resolution. Does Exede offer the same ability to choose, or is 480p the default/mandatory? Thanks!
Photo of Jim Hamilton

Jim Hamilton

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • huh?

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3291 Posts
  • 3265 Reply Likes
The video "optimization" feature is mandatory on the new "unlimited data" plans with no way to opt out.

However, other plans (e.g Liberty) will soon default to what's now being dubbed as the "Video Data Enhancer" 480P - it's been announced but nobody has really confirmed whether it's been fully rolled out to all service areas and it will have opt out capability.

In short, mandatory for the "Unlimited" plans and soon to be the deault default with opt-out on other plans such as Liberty, Freedom etc.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Hi Jim,  Here is an article that will explain the video data:  http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Video-Data-Extender-helps-you-stream-more-video-and-use-less-...   It is based on the plan you choose and how it will effect streaming video. If you have any additional questions, please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. 
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have the 150GB Freedom Plan in Toledo OH area Beam 312. It defaults to 480 but I can go to my webpage, log in and turn it off so that I can stream HD. However, our beam is very congested and during "Peak" hours which seem to be evenings, I am lucky if I can get 2 Mbps and stream at all. Therefore, it is not of much value to me but I cannot get out of the plan without paying 2 years of cancellation fees ($15/month). I am hoping that when the roll out the new satellite in 2018, speeds will become usable. I would recommend checking with neighbors who have Exceed and see what kind of speeds they get during peak to see if it will work for you. Many areas are fine but some are useless and a rip off. Make sure you check speeds before signing up for 2 years.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2473 Posts
  • 1345 Reply Likes
Greg, there are two beams covering Ohio. You are actually on the less congested one, if you can believe that! But you are spot on. Performance is all dependant on location and time of day. Therefore, experiences with Exede will vary greatly.
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 25 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I am in the corner of Northwest OH and south east Michigan so I thought 315 was right from the map I found on the internet. What beam am I on?  Is this less congested?

I can't figure out what is going on. I can get speeds of 12 to 16 off peak so I think my system is working and it is just a congestion issue. I complained and filed a report and then it improved to about 7 during evenings for about 3 weeks, then returned back to sub 2. Last Saturday night I tried to watch the Ohio State football game and it would buffer 1 minute for every 2 minutes of watching at the lowest resolution setting.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2473 Posts
  • 1345 Reply Likes
My guess is you are beam 312. Since you live so far in the corner, is that even Ohio??? Wars have been fought over that area!

Yes. Live streaming of sporting events is pretty frustrating. Resolution too low, speeds to slow (buffering) so you basically get a game being filmed with potato cam.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3000 Posts
  • 1246 Reply Likes
From what I am seeing personally, and reading, streaming on the TV set simply doesn't work in HD and, there aren't a lot of applications that let you lower the resolution on a TV. I can't stream On Demand. I can choose watch at which point, my receiver informs me that I would not get smooth playback so, it will be buffered and recorded for me to watch later.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2473 Posts
  • 1345 Reply Likes
Interesting. Bev. Do you have the ability to stream Amazon on you tv? (not your tablet) I would be curious how it performs. I mean I have trouble live streaming Amazon as it is today, unless during late at night