4 Day Network Network Outage?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress

Hi Folks – looking for some sort of insight here. We suffered a pretty severe windstorm on Sunday, Feb 2nd and every since my internet and phone service has been out. The diagnostics test from the App results in misaligned dish, network outage, AND inclement weather. I have called ViaSat and had a few online chats – every time I’m just told to wait 24 hours for the outage to clear up. “We can’t send a technician while there’s an outage.”

I live in an area with no cell phone service, I have two children under the age of 3, and currently going on day 4 without phone & internet. All I’m looking for is a more believable excuse, a little more information, and some sort of relief to this anxiety from being off grid. I came into work early this evening so I could try and figure this out (to no avail so far).

Do outages really last this long? How long will it take to get someone out when it is fixed? All I hear is “sorry for the inconvenience, there is a network outage, wait 24 hours”
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
FYI - located in the eastern panhandle of WV
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Beautiful. Around Berkley Springs no doubt.

To answer your question. It isn't an outage that lasts that long. Chances are the wind blew your dish out of alignment.

Call tech support. Talk to a person. get a tech to your house! Good luck!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 842 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
Agree with above, your dish has been blown out of alignment. Also if that wasn't a wind speed that comes along once every 25 years insist on the tech mounting the dish more securely. Mounting a dish on a fascia board isn't going to cut it.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Right - this was a pretty severe windstorm, but we do get those once & awhile. I would prefer a more secure mount. The corporate side still will not send anyone out claiming my area is in a network outage... going on day 5 without phone & internet.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just called again, and I was told (again) that there is a network outage in my area with an 'unknown estimated time of repair" and that they won't send someone out until the network outage is cleared up. Grrr!!!
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Shannon, is the dish mounted on a pole? If the technician didn't pour a concrete base then it will go out of alignment eventually. I've had 75 mph wind gusts in my area several times the last 10 years or so and my dish is still holding strong because it's in a concrete block.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've spoken to the technician who installed the dish (he is very helpful & professional!) and he says it's installed on a pole with 160 lbs of concrete, and that it's possible there is water in the lens and that my dish is shorting out. My modem is mostly purple & blue aka Ranging, and it occasionally turns red. Of course I explained all of this to the folks on the phone. My service tech (luckily I saved his business card from installation) says he would already have been out here but he's not allowed to authorize service calls.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just called again, and I was told (again) that there is a network outage in my area with an 'unknown estimated time of repair" and that they won't send someone out until the network outage is cleared up. Grrr!!!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
It is NOT a network outage that lasts that long. Email viasatlistens@viasat.com. Include your account number and explain your situation. They will get you help.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I will email them now - the last gentleman I spoke to on the phone was at least honest by saying "i've never seen an outage this long, and i won't lie to you, i don't know when it will be fixed" which for some odd reason, provided some relief. Better than hearing an automated response.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Like ExSat said, network outages do not last as long as yours. Typically, they only last a couple of hours or less. You need to contact Viasat and set up a service call ASAP.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
And take anything you hear from front line customer service with a grain of salt.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2581 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
Plus, when there actually is an outage, you tend to see an uptick in comments about such.  One that long would produce scads upon scads of inquiries/comments, as it would affect a number of subscribers.  
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Agreed. I emailed as suggested and explained my whole situation.

"Thank you for your email to let us know what you are experiencing. We are currently investigating a network outage in your area. Typically, our estimated time to restore your service is about one (1) hour but may be longer.  We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you today."

I am honestly so frustrated....  if someone would tell me the satellite burst into a million pieces at least that would be a real answer!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2581 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
Eek.  Evidently I'm mistaken, so please disregard my statement.  My assumption about there being more posts like yours if there really was an outage is apparently wrong in this instance, as there does seem to be one.  :(  

I hope it's fixed soon and your service gets back to normal quickly.  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2445 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
Shannon,., how is the weather in your area?  If it is a storm, when did it start?
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Diana - it is currently raining in my area (eastern panhandle, Franklin WV) However, my service has been 100% out SINCE SUNDAY - Monday was clear blue skies, Tuesday was clear blue skies, Wednesday was misty and foggy, Thursday (today) it's raining.

I am telling you, this is like no problem I've had before. Yes, my satellite service stops working occasionally due to bad weather, I understand that. I promise you this is not that. 5 days with varying weather conditions (very much of it good!) and the entire time my service has been out. 

When does it become unacceptable to keep telling me it's a network outage? How many days do I need to be off the grid before someone takes this seriously? Would actually like a legitimate answer to that, because at least I would have a timeline as to when it will be repaired.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2445 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
There is an outage at this time affecting a large number of our customers. When the outage is over we will be able to troubleshoot your issue or schedule a service call. 
Weather does not have to be in your immediate area for there to be a weather outage. Your service is also associated with a large hub — or gateway — that is typically located far from your house. This gateway ground station also connects to the satellite and has a large antenna.
https://help.viasat.com/internet/articles/General/4617
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I understand how satellite works, you're the one that asked how the weather was in my area.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Something isnt adding up. Franklin. WV would be the same beam as Western VA. If that beam was down since Sunday people would be screaming on here.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Sounds like Viasat is unable to diagnose Shannon's 5 day outage until the current weather issues affecting the eastern US are over.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
The weather hasn't been bad for 5 days :).

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Yeah, but it was all day yesterday.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
I'm getting it here today (a little yesterday).  Ice this morning and now heavy snow.  :( 

Where I live in western NY gets a lot of lake effect snow, but we especially get hammered due to being right on the lake side of a ridge, so it all dumps right here.  My little town is often in the top five heaviest snowfall areas in the state.  In the 2017/2018 season we got 269.7".  That was a fun one.  
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
Unseasonably warm so far this winter In Ladysmith Va. It has maybe got in the high teens only a couple times and the handful of snowfalls were short and did not stick. Usually we at least get a dozen days and nights of low single digit temps at night and low 20's for day time highs. It usually snows a half dozen times from 4-16 inches. We did have a storm last night and early this morning with high winds that dumped 6" of rain.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ugh, it's still out. I can live without the internet, but with two small children and the weekend approaching, I sure would like to use my phone. 

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Set up a service call like we have told you.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I keep trying to do that, I have even spoken with my service technician, unfortunately they won't authorize a service call until this "network outage" clears up.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
That makes no sense. I don't believe there is a five day network outage!!!!
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm starting to feel like I'm being lied to. Is it possible for my account to read "network outage" when there isn't actually a network outage? (My neighbors don't have ViaSat, so no checking in with them...)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Did you email viasatlistens@viasat.com, include your account number, and provide a detailed description of what has occurred?

I know you said you got an email, but I find it hard to believe there is any "network outage" for this long.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 842 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
That makes no sense. I don't believe there is a five day network outage!!!!

I think if there was we would have more than one person complaining.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I emailed with a very thorough description of my situation, all my information, and all they sent back was "its an outage" and said to call customer service.
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now on the App chat, I'm told the outage was reported yesterday... although mine has been out since Sunday, and I'm told it's an outage every day.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Email viasatlistens@viasat.com and explain everything again. If you call tech support, demand to talk to a supervisor.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Diana, can you please give some insight as to what is going on here? I also find it unlikely that there has been a 5 day outage on Shannon's beam. If that were the case there would be many more people complaining about it on this forum.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
I should ask do you have a white triangle modem or something else?
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have the white triangular modem. It is mostly purple & blue since going out, and only occasionally it goes red. My technician thinks this fluctuation could mean the dish is shorting out. I also want to note that my dish is not making any sounds whatsoever... sounds odd, but it's right by my flower garden and I always notice it buzzing when out there.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2584 Posts
  • 1605 Reply Likes
I also want to note that my dish is not making any sounds whatsoever... sounds odd, but it's right by my flower garden and I always notice it buzzing when out there.
The dish isn't making any sound or it's buzzing? 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
So that is Viasat-2. A mystery satellite. So there could be an outage on it since so few people have it and no customer has clue of beam coverage area.

Still, you definitely need a service call.

Quit chatting, quit emailing, and call customer service and demand a tech visit. Unplug the modem and say it will not power up. I understand that will generate an automatic service call. It will cost $95. But I bet the problem gets fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of Amber Miller-Titus

Amber Miller-Titus

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Was this ever addressed and what did you have to do? We are on day two of supposed outage and getting the same herbal response
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
As advised on this thread, I unplugged my router and called back. The associate on the phone had to apparently get an override to send someone out. However, we were out of service and no phone for 10 days. The most frustrating part was my dish was indeed aligned, and the service tech only traveled 10 miles to get to my house and had no mention of a network outage in his reports! Keep calling and unplug - good luck
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
There never was a network outage. At least not that long.

Correct. Unplug your modem. Call support and say no lights (which is true).

They should be able to diagnose if your dish is out of alignment, but regardless you will need a tech out anyhow. Cost $95 but gets it fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Meant to type my dish *was misaligned* due to a fierce storm
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Understood what you meant.

Sorry it took so long. A misaligned dish should be very easy to diagnose from the call center, if they were staffed by competent and trained people.

Much easy to say "outage" Next!
Photo of Amber Miller-Titus

Amber Miller-Titus

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you!! I did call and they are sending someone out. Funny thing is it was a bright sunny day when it went out .
(Edited)
Photo of Marilyn Wilson Albright

Marilyn Wilson Albright

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having continued problems with slow speeds. I call customer support and the customer service tech states that everything looks good on their end. Well, I've all ready done the steps of unplugging the modem and restarting our computers. Now, they say I have to connect my macbook pro or another computer to the modem by ethernet cable. We don't have any computers with the ethernet ports. This problem with slow or no internet has been upscaled since the pandemic. I have my phone with Viasat also and cannot make or receive calls at times. I called last week and today. My experience is one of less than favorable. Any thoughts on how I can get past all the hoops I have to jump through to get to technical support? Sorry if I sound a little frustrated. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much data have you used?
Photo of Marilyn Wilson Albright

Marilyn Wilson Albright

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm on the Silver plan with 35 gb data, but unlimited slow speed after the 35. My plan just started over on the 4th. I haven't used much. It's slow pulling up Viasat to see my usage. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2433 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Might be an issue with the installation. Or related to the crappy Viasat router. You might want to try a third party router.