4.5 year customer - Viasat has blown up our internet plan < 1Mbps

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old post

Okay.

Been a customer for 4.5 years. On the 150gb a month plan with 12Mbps average speeds at $100. Never had a major issue. Regularly around the 6-10Mbps area which is fine by me. Was actually looking forward to the Viasat 2 plans!

Suddenly our speeds have tanked and and we are lucky to get anything over 1Mbps. 1! (see attachment). That's right, $100+ a month for t care. The only options I am given is to switch to a worse plan for the same price or to a the SAME plan named differently for a more expensive price. Oh, and the third option I was recommended... to disconnect my service.

I would gladly switch to a better plan even if it cost a little more. But I have no options beyond 12Mbps... which is what I currently have. To me this indicates that my plan is purposely being throttled to force me to pay more for the same package.

Unacceptable. I requested to speak to someone else and the Supervisor told me no. Ha. Hopefully one of the techs on here cares a little more.
Photo of CJ DJ

CJ DJ

• 10 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
  • furious

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of CJ DJ

CJ DJ

• 10 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Don't upgrade or pay more. That is what they want you to do.

Look at alternatives.
(Edited)
Photo of CJ DJ

CJ DJ

• 10 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yeah. It stinks because we have had largely a good experience with Viasat thus far. Unfortunately this is the best of the options for us, which makes this change as of Jan. All the more frustrating. We are less than 2 miles from 2 different cable service providers but not close enough.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Wireless unlimited?  Hughesnet? 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
id pay to have the cable ran out to my house if i was only 2 miles away or less or even buy it and dig the lines myself with a subsoiler 
Photo of Mick Dietze

Mick Dietze

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I got out of my contract after they sent my a "change of contract notice" which allowed me to cancel without early termination fees! It was like a dream come true!! Now I'm using prepaid Verizon on a mifi (jetpack) with unlimited data and no throttling. I get videos at HD quality. It works great! This is a no-contract program so I can quit it at any time and it's only $65 a month. Remember, This is a Prepaid program from Verizon for Jetpacks & Tablets, Not for phones or Verizon contracts. I have mine hooked up to a repeater so it runs everything in my house.  Best thing out there! :)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have now ordered one myself.

What wifi extender are you using if I may ask?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
id pay to have the cable ran out to my house
It was going to cost me 14k to have it run 0.8 miles.  That's what I was quoted.  This was six years ago.   
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
id pay to have the cable ran out to my house
It was going to cost me 14k to have it run 0.8 miles.  That's what I was quoted.  This was six years ago.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Double that now :)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
And I thought the new heat pump I had put in this week was bad uhg 14k is pricey. lol
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
14k?  OMG.  Prices sure have changed since I was in the business.  I just had a new furnace installed last month.  It was 4k.  The furnace, three supply registers, a small supply plenum transition, a box of 18" heavily insulated flex, two 18" collars, some panning material and a few other small odds and ends.  

I know, for a fact, that the supplies cost them less than 1k.  They worked for 6.5hours.  3k+ for 6.5 hours of labor.  SMH.  If my back weren't the way it is I would have bought the supplies, including the furnace, and done the work myself.  

Wait.  I misread.   Your heat pump didn't cost 14k.  Still, my furnace installation was WAY overpriced.  I hope they didn't get you too badly.   
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
They just had to pull the old furnace and slid the new one in. The heat pump was easy for them since we had an old central a/c they had electrical ready for them. Cost was $3.5k for an hour an a half work for everything including labor. Nothing is cheap now days.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Ah.  That's actually not bad, considering what you got for the price.  Nice.  And it's nice having something you know isn't going to go kaput for a long time   

In the last two years, between my house and my folks' house, we've had one water heater, one wall furnace, one floor furnace and my furnace go.  All that's left is my water heater, which is nearly 20 years old.  The water heater, floor furnace and my furnace were all within six months.  Just crazy. 
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Yup not bad for my install, I went with a 2 1/2 ton 14 seer over the 16 seer that was way over priced so that saved me a bit. Yeah you did't have a good year but like you said you will be good for many a year on what has been replaced. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2767 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
Gabe, what water heater do you have and how many gallons have you used for your current billing cycle?
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
It's a 40 gallon gas heater.  Not sure of the brand.  I don't know how many gallons I've used, but I never go over the threshold and have to pay more.  I never see the bill.  My folks own the house, and I just give them the money when the bill comes in, which is every three months.  It's a little over $60.  

I may do it myself when the time comes.  

And yeah, I just got the joke.  SMH.  Sorry, I'm a bit thick tonight.  LOL.  
(Edited)
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
GabeU, hope you don’t mind my asking. I was checking Hughesnet plans and dropped in on their forum. I noticed you are active on there. Do you have both hughesnet and Viasat? If so, which do you prefer?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
GabeU only has Hughesnet.

I have had both. There was a time I preferred Viasat. But the Viasat today isn't the Viasat of 4 years ago, or even 18 months ago. Viasat didn't use to have a foreign call center. The CEO was also adamant beams would not be oversold. Things started to go south once the 150GB "unlimited" plans started. Then the issues with Viasat-2. Now modifications to existing plans. What's next?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2006 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Yep.  Just HughesNet, so I can't really give a preference.  About all I can really say is that my HughesNet service works fine for me.  
Photo of Mick Dietze

Mick Dietze

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I went on ebay a bought a Novatel Verizon MiFi7703 Jetpack 4G mobile hotspot ($65) and a Netgear Wn2500RP Universal Dual band WiFi Range Extender ($24). All I did after that was hit the WPS button on both units, They connected and that was it. 

Photo of Mick Dietze

Mick Dietze

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Also make sure you have a good Verizon signal, If not I know AT&T has something similar.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Mick Dietze... hit the WPS button on both units,

Are LANs being used with this technique, via that router  with WPS engaged to Jetpack?
Photo of Chuck Mayo

Chuck Mayo

• 35 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
@Jab: I just bought an Netgear EX6200v2 on eBay. The Wn2500RP looked fine, but I wanted 802.11ac support. Anyway, the extender's LAN works fine and you can even plug in an Ethernet switch for more wired ports. I'd guess the Wn2500RP will work the same way.

Only downside I can see is that devices plugged into the extender's ports, including devices plugged into a switch (which is plugged into an extender's port) still count against the 7730L's 15 device maximum.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Mick Dietze...AT&T

AT&T uses CGNAT, which flips your IP address constantly.  More than one person ticked off with CGNAT at AT&T's forum.  Only solution is if AT&T allows IPv6 engagement.  Cyber-crooks like CGNAT...

@Chuck Mayo

Good to here about extender's LAN can be used.

I've never looked at packet coding, but it will have a device's IP address embedded when sent out initially, so apparently, 7730L unit is seeing  each device's IP. 

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3460 Posts
  • 1294 Reply Likes
Hi CJ DJ

Unfortunately I won't be able to weigh in more than what was indicated on the email notification the same would be said if you talked to a supervisor.  This was done for the majority of customers to better improve the service across the board. 

I understand it's not desirable but a switch to one of those plans will not have the issues with speed that you're seeing now as they were not affected. If the speed becomes unbearable that's an option 
Photo of CJ DJ

CJ DJ

• 10 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Right. But you can understand my concern/frustration that a more expensive plan has the same promised speeds I'm paying for now which are near unusable most of the day.

If I am not being artificially throttled on my current plan at 12Mbps, why should I expect better speeds on a new plan at up to 12Mbps. If I AM artificially being throttled to force me to pay more for less data... that's awfully shady.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2767 Posts
  • 1439 Reply Likes
So much for net neutrality.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
what he said above,,,, me too.  They are more than shady, and will continue to manipulate us in the future in the same way.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3460 Posts
  • 1294 Reply Likes
oh I absolutely understand the concern. 

With this policy change on the affected plans there is a throttle of the speed on the  plans as indicated in the letter discussing the plan. There's supposed to be above the 12 some of the time but well below it other times. Again that was posted in the letter that this would be the case. The other plans are not seeing that unless of course if the data was surpassed. 
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Brad, I can’t follow the logic. With the targeted plans, why wouldn’t it work if you only slowed us to 3-4 mbps until our propiority data was used? We are being slowed every afternoon to less than1mbps and all day Saturday & Sunday, no matter that we have never used more than 50gs in a month. The end result isn’t helping most customers have a better experience, but devastating those grandfathered in. Clearly the desired effect to to drive us away. I recognize that you don’t make the policy and don’t mean to pick on you. Just very disappointed with this treatment.
Photo of Samuel Buchanan

Samuel Buchanan

• 4 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have never been more disappointed with a company than I have with VIASAT.  I signed a contract for 2 years, which If I broke, i would be forced to pay a fee.  They can throttle my speeds intentionally, to force me into a plan that costs more, but provides less with no such penalty to them.  This is unscrupulous and completely unacceptable.  They make Comcast look downright honest and forthright.  At least they didn't screw me over until mu contract was up. If there were a class action against them for this I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  I told the nearly unintelligible CSR that I would be a fool to sign up on a new plan with a company that has already blatantly lied to me.  Piss off Viasat.  I sang your praises for awhile.  Now I will lobby with anyone whom will listen to avoid you like the plague.  
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I was in the same situation as you. I switched to a new plan (gold 50) because the old one had essentially become worthless.

I'm now getting pretty good service... for the moment, anyway. If it stays this good I'll be satisfied.

It's unfortunate that you don't have this option, but I understand that the Liberty plans aren't being throttled as the "unlimited" ones are.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You moved to Viasat-2 and are paying more money. Glad you are satisfied.

Not all of us want to pay more money (not to Viasat anyhow), and not everyone can get a better plan on Viasat-2.

You are an example of what Viasat wants their subs to do. Give up 150GB of priority data and pay more money to them so their revenue stream continues.

Of course if they provided a workable plan to you in the first place, this wouldn't be the issue.
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@vetsatuser, I bought a refurbed linksys wifi dual band extender RE4100W, hooked it up on my 8800l with wifi and put it in my grandson's bedroom for this weekend. He has been playing PS4 on it and streaming TV all weekend. It has not gone out at all. Easy peasy $21.33. You asked about wifi extender. I plan to tether the 8800l to my LinksysWRT1900 ACS but I haven't taken the time to try it. I have about 30 devices on that linksys router and ExpressVPN that I will take down while I'm experimenting. Right now I have both networks so I take my pick. They are on different subnets.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Thanks Kay. I am starting to experiment too. Didnt want to, but Viasat is basically unusable during primetime. They say that is now by design. So be it. If wireless works I will dump Viasat and save money. If not, I will pay more money and get Hughesnet.

Either way Viasat stands to lose a 10+ year customer due to a short sighted plan modification.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I'm right behind you.  Also 10+ years.  I'm even looking at selling and moving closer to internet services that work as described.  This viasat service is not reliable .  What you think you are paying for is not what we end up with. And it is so unprofessional to manipulate and abuse customers in this way, they will do that to new customers also. I can't get wireless but I imagine they will continue their war on older plans until we are forced to leave.  Pay attention current customers, all plans are subject to their selfish manipulation.  
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I'm paying the same amount that I was contracted to pay before, namely $150 + tax and tip.

However, if they hadn't offered me the gold plan on viasat 2, I would have been very unhappy, so I guess I just got lucky.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Having a high-density spot beam, yes you did!
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Is the reply tab missing?

Anyway, we ended up using a Lynksys extender with a Verizon Jetpack as well. Works incredibly well.

Streaming 2 TVs in HD while another games and Skyoes. Rarely have we had any issues with throttling or slowdowns.

I haven't been on here in a while and didn't realize they jacked the 150 plans. I did get a letter saying they wouldn't charge us a cancellation fee if we wanted to leave. We had just left, so I didn't really pay attention.

I feel pretty fortunate and blessed to be away from Viasat now. We were paying 150 bucks a month for what had turned into a really lousy service the last few months we had it.

Just looked at the new plans for our area. Gold 50 with 100 gigs of data for the same money. I wonder if we would have actually have gotten 50 mbps.

I think we get rock solid 25 mbps on Verizon. Does everything we need.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Those would be high density Viasat-2 plans. I think most people that have that plan are pretty satisfied. But it is also too little, too late. Availability of those types of plans are extremely limited, and people are moving to alternative ford if internet. Even Nathan, who has such a plan today and is really satisfied, will have fiber in less than 2 years.
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I agree. The service has gone so far down in quality since the v-2 bird launched that it is hard to reccomend it any more.

I was a big fan up until 6 months or so. Then it just became unusable often enough to become a hindrance.

No turning back now for us.

That being said, I would have given the new plans a hard look if we were still stuck with viasat.

It does amaze me that people are starting to be happier with Hughsnet than they are with Viasat.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What do you have now Vinyl?
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
We finally got a new Verizon tower across the valley from us. We are now able to get the Verizon prepaid unlimited jetpack. We bought a used/refurbed 7730L jetpack for 135 bucks. It works great. I have an extender in the Mancave because of a big metal coke sign that blocks the signal from the jetpack, which also happened with cnn our netgear router.

We can stream two TVs at HD, surf the net and Skype and game all at once. We do have an occasional slowdown which I notice when I have the Netflix streaming info in the corner of the TV, but it only lasts a minute or so most times, and then it is back to full speed. I think that is typical for most services.

We are very happy, especially after 5 years of Viasat. It was all we could get until the tower went up.

I don't know how well it would work in a congested area, but it bbn is worth a shot if you have cell service. Even if you need a signal booster, it would pay for itself in a few months.

70 dollars a month for Verizon, compared to 150 a month for Viasat. It adds up quickly.

The only downside to the Jetpac is you can't use it to stream HuluLive TV. I believe other live TV services work, but we haven't tried them yet.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 631 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Just curious............What is the issue with HuluLive TV?  
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
They don't allow live streaming over a mobile IP. Regular Hulu works fine.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What if you ran it through a VPN?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

Punching in this evening at this speed....

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Mine is 90kbps, not going to wait forever to upload it to post you have my word.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
We understand. Internet so slow, you can’t even post to fuss about it lol. ViaSat, forever. Well, maybe until anything viable comes along for people. Eat, drink, and be merry ViaSat, for the time of your demise is at nigh. Nigh may mean a few years, but it’s coming.

I’ll be long gone from the scene by then, but I’m sure I’ll find my way back to make a comment or 20.

Anecdotal but still true:

Took my kids to the house with satellite internet tonight. They have no idea about network management policies, nor did I inform them of any changes. Instantly, my son asked why my internet sucks all the sudden. Said it worked ok at Christmas. I just smiled and said not much longer will we endure the throttled speeds of a tyrant that thinks they can take advantage of trapped minions without terrestrial ground options while LEOs are still not viable.

Actually, I just said, “Yea, it sucks.” He is only 9. One day I’ll explain how companies try to suck customers dry. He’s just not ready yet for reality.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is hard to believe Terry gets even worse speeds than me!

What general location are you in Terry?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
In sw Va. hour or so drive north of Bristol Motor Speedway! IT'S BRISTOL BABY!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
 I can be in TN, WV or KY in an hour Vet lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Maybe the same beam as Old Labs or FMJ. Regardless, beautiful country.

I was just going to post about the winter storm headed to northern NC and SW Va. Looks like an ice event, which is the WORST!

Be safe my friends!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Yup very beautiful here, being on top of the mountain here I have a great view but as the leaves fill in it goes away till fall. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You wouldn't be too far from the home of Gary Powers. Sad I know that. But one of the most famous pilots (or is that infamous).

Survived being shot down by the Russians and a Russian prison, yet dies flying a helicopter for traffic and weather in L.A.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Beautiful sunset 
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Just east a few miles from Pound where he lived, I would say 30 or so miles if I was a crow. Had to edit that uhg i'm east of it, been a long day lol this crow is lost.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2005 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
Ice storms are awful in VA.  I lived in NOVA for seven years, from '93 through '00, and being from just south of Buffalo I was used to snow, but ice?  No way.  Those ice storms are just brutal.  My brother still lives in southern VA.    
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
1998 was the big one Gabeu, power was out for weeks with that storm. 
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
My dad and I ran a dairy farm in Franklin County back then and I remember that storm well it was brutal as you said.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2005 Posts
  • 1226 Reply Likes
I don't remember that one so much as one in '94 or '95, but it was probably just because of the severity of the storms being dependent on where you were in the state.  The one in '94 or '95 was pretty bad.  It took me forever to even get into my service truck, and then I got stuck for hours in ditch I slid into, as the truck that could come and pull me out couldn't make it there due to the ice on the road.  It was ridiculous.  We didn't have any power outages that I remember, though.  

We did have a really nasty hail storm one year that damaged thousands of vehicles. You couldn't get an appointment for months to get anything other than major, required body work done on a vehicle as it was so backed up.  Luckily, I missed that storm by about twenty minutes while on my way home.  
(Edited)
Photo of lyle1968

lyle1968

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I've been with exede/viasat since 2012 and never had problems. My speeds were always between 15 and 50 mbps. Great for streaming. Problems started after receiving this email in early January.

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.

Network Management Policy

Bandwith Usage Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

Your current service plan (Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi) offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 25 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 25 Mbps.The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.Speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 25 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. Your service plan does not have a strict data allowance. When you use more than 150 GB in your monthly billing period, your service speeds will be slower than what you experienced when using less than 150 GB.

What are your options?

Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account athttps://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice.

Sincerely,

Viasat Internet

The difference between the old agreement and this one is the median (average) speed in 24 hours.

Now in the evening I'm lucky to get over 1mbps and this is because of so many people using data at the same time, that is a bunch of BS.
I've done my speed tests around 4:30pm and I get between 45 and 50 mbps. Then I do it again around 5:00pm and it's less than 1mbps.
The $1308.00 this company gets from me a year is over.

NET NEUTRALITY NOW!!!!
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I’ve been with Exede for several years. We finally got the chance, over a year ago, to upgrade to Silver 25 unlimited (150GB at 25mbps). Until we got the dreaded email policy change notice all was fine. We rarely used more than 50 GBs per month and had speeds between 14 to 50 Mbps 24/7. Starting about a month ago at 5:00 pm our speeds drop to 1mbps or less no matter how much data we have used. I also noticed that the Apple App Store seems drastically slowed during non prime time. It took an hour to download about 5 large apps. This happened even when a speed test showed 35mbps. Is that possibe? Has anyone noticed that?
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Hi Rose,  I'm on the Freedom 150 GB with boost 25. I too received the dreaded email, have been posting steadily since the ax came down on our heads about 6 weeks ago.  Every night and on weekends they throttle me to 1 to 2 mbps, down from my good speeds prior to their email notice of changes they've made to our plans.  They want us off of our plans and are making life as miserable as they can for us.  They want to charge more for less and continue to shrink our speed. Welcome to satellite internet  customer abuse,,,, they aren't done with us yet.  I don't know what the future holds, except the first chance I get, I'll be leaving this company, they can't be trusted to deliver what they are advertising.  My plan said I could do "whatever I want, whenever I want."   NOT. Their manipulation and making war on existing customers is not my idea of a reputable company.  
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Hi Susan, I have been watching these threads with interest and sympathize with all of those in our plight. Unfortunately this is the only internet option for us. While we are very disappointed with these circumstances I see no benefit to downing grading our plan to less data, 12mbps for the same price. We are retired and try to do what we need during the morning while most folks are working.

I’m specifically wondering if anyone thinks they are slowing specific sites that may be related to potential streaming. Or subject to high data usage.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
On "unlimited" plans that is already done. But when you do that all the time, and now deprioritze your data requests regardless of how much data you have used, all bets are off in the performance of your internet.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Can anyone see how it would benefit to go to a Liberty Plan with less data that costs more? Is Liberty usable at all times unless you go over your data cap? Would there still be throttling? Speeds slowed below 1mbps during prime?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Rose

YMMV, depending upon a beam's usage pattern.  I've never heard anyone complaining from Alaska or Hawaii, nor those in low usage western beams, east of west coast.

So, what is your zip code?
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 34 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
29374. I believe our beam is 336
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Many of those east coast beams are loaded with customers.  Current plans offered suggest limited bandwidth on your beam.  Their literature explains, Liberty High-Speed Internet Plans, and I expect once your data bucket is empty, come primetime, just basic web activities....less than 1Mbps service

On the beam I use, they offer "unlimited" plans, at 35, 45, or 65 GB.  Your beam has lower limits of prior data.  My speeds are excellent, but I don't exceed the 10GB data allowance.

Before their policy change, whatever speeds experienced, should be similar with Liberty plan when data bucket is not empty.

One can always time-shift....record video during off peak, etc.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3459 Posts
  • 1294 Reply Likes
More or less what Jab said...

Liberty and Unlimited have a few differences. Liberty once the data is used up it's going to be between 1-5mbps during non-peak hours. During peak hours, the speeds will drop below that range depending on Network traffic. You will have the ability to buy more priority data to get back to priority data speeds. 

Unlimited on the other had does have a data point that once passed you do see it slow and how much depends on your beam and traffic. I think a safe bet is certainly during peak hours if you've surpassed the data point that something like streaming may not work as well but outside that time you should see speeds that will allow for most online activities. It does not have a buy more feature. 
Photo of Todd P

Todd P

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@cjdj.this just proves that viasat contracts are 1 sided and useless. When they can just change it to anything anytime they want. I don’t call that a contract! What’s the point of switching? Viasat changed these plans what’s to stop the5 m from doing it again and again.? They will just change that contract then later too. The only time a contract seems to matter is if we the consumer breaks a contract , then it’s huge costs of money. I’ve been a customer since the beginning of viasat1 not sure 10+ yrs. and would bail right now if I had any other options. My only other options are dial up ,if that’s an option “not”, or hughsnet and I don’t think they’ll be any better. I’m very disgusted!
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Keep your ears open for improvements in Verizon or ATT wireless in your area. They have improved 4G services in areas where the cell service isn't the greatest. I suffered with Viasat for 7+ years, during the 3rd year of that I tried ATT wireless it flat out did not work. In the interim since my Verizon cell service had gotten a little worse, not better I figured no chance Verizon wireless would work. I tried Verizon wireless 5 months ago and it worked! Calling to cancel Viasat I felt like a kid in a candy store.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.