3rd Quarter Earnings Call

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
I didn't listen, but I did look at the slides.

Subscriber growth stagnant. We knew that.

Revenue from existing subs grew 14%. (Looks like they need more people now to upgrade or buy more expensive plans....hmmm).

Pushing community wifi south of the border to 1 million plus.

And they made $100 million or so third quarter.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4566 Posts
  • 2808 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 279 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
Wonder how much longer theyll be around
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4541 Posts
  • 2788 Reply Likes
They made $100+ million in 3 months. That would be EBITDA.

I would say that is pretty darn good.

They are not going anywhere.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1468 Posts
  • 872 Reply Likes
They're spending a lot of money on the VS3, so they'll be around for a while, for sure.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 711 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes

The commercial air business is going “gangbusters” for Viasat, Girvan added. Another business enjoying rapid growth is the company’s community Wi-Fi service, which supports up to 100 users on a single hotspot in small communities.

“We’ve been adding 600 sites a month in Mexico for community Wi-Fi,” he said. “We see that as a key service we can bring to Asia for places like Indonesia, the Philippines, India.”

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
For those interested in digging deeper, conference call and supporting materials at:

http://investors.viasat.com/events/event-details/q3-2019-viasat-earnings-conference-call\

Full transcript of call available for those who prefer the written word is at:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4239319-viasat-inc-vsat-ceo-mark-dankberg-q3-2019-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Previously it was necessary to turn off java script to view the full transcript at SeekingAlpha if not wanting to subscribe; however appears that's no longer the case.

As much as many would like it to not be the case, Viasat isn't going anywhere.

(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 536 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Those links aren't working for me. Says "Page Not Found"
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Both work for me - the first is on viasat.com the second seekingalpha.com. If not Google is your friend, and Dudk Duck Go is a better friend - "Viasat 3Q 2019"

(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 536 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Don't know what was going on, they are working now!

edit:  AHHH!  I tried to follow the link from the email I got from GetSatisfaction.  It worked fine from the actual post!
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4566 Posts
  • 2808 Reply Likes
Community wifi in foreign countries.

Strong business for wifi in the sky.

Stagnant growth in the residential internet sector other than getting more money out of existing subs. That trend of course is not sustainable. You can only get so much blood out of a turnip. This should tell you where we rate as customers and won't be a major focus going forward.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Didn't say we were going along for the ride ;)

In fact the transcript suggest our purpose on reading it carefully.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4566 Posts
  • 2808 Reply Likes
Does she have a ticket to ride?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 169 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Michelle? Yesterday she did. Have you seen Polythene Pam? She came in through the bathroom window. Lovely Rita gave me a ticket from her little white book for a parking violation.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4566 Posts
  • 2808 Reply Likes
Ah look at all the lonely people...

Where do they all come from?

On here when Viasat internet is so slow we cant do anything but come on here and talk about it.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 222 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I go down to Mexico a bit and my mother escapes from Minnesota and I've yet to see one of these viasat powered Wi-Fi hotspots. I go well off the beaten path so to speak. Overall I found Mexico to have good cell and DSL support. Power and water still suck.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4468 Posts
  • 2734 Reply Likes
So you are saying we have better power and water, but they have better internet that many of us Viasat customers.

Makes sense :)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1189 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
I was a little surprised at the earnings.

Changes nothing long term though. Not a residential based business model in the least. Milk them for what you can but focus on airlines and government contracts. We knew that.

Still it all will crumble when LEO satellites are viable and 5g finally becomes the norm. ViaSat has a few years before relegating itself to niche markets.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 664 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
@Vet

Viasat's marketing department haven't considered "consequences."  On those beams charging $100-$200/monthly, those seeking internet but who can't afford Viasat will remember, well.  Once the high rollers are signed up, overall sales will trend downward. Revenue growth has been from them, and existing customers jumping ship from resellers to Viasat.  Cutting out the middleman (reseller) brings higher profit.

I can only wonder what VS-3 prices will be.  Anik F2 (CANSAT KA-4) had an expected lifespan of 15 years.  Don't hear anything on this topic.