Don't like data cap

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: spent thread

My brother and i recently moved out into the country where Exede was the only internet provider around, and now we are being slapped with a 25gb cap for internet use. We now have to cancel our various other subscriptions because of this ridiculous cap.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of R. Young

R. Young

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
But just think how you'll be able to get outside and enjoy the country life when you're not playing games or watching TV.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Jeff, many of us share your frustration.  We are just out of reach (mostly due to a line of trees I don't own and can't cut down  :P) of Prairie iNet.  However,  I am in contact with another company that at least is taking the time to consider if there is an possible way to expand into our area, don't have my hopes high but at least they didn't blow me off.  So basically I'd encourage you to spend time looking to see who the closest companies are and be the "squeaky wheel" so to speak.  Also try to line up your neighbors to know in advance who is interested if a company actually does an expansion to your area.  Be aware, however, that fixed wireless broadband is also going to have slower speeds. (but much better latency).  You will probably find that they offer speeds anywhere from 1 mbps up to 10 mbps though the 10 is still the exception usually and not the rule.  If you need higher speeds Exede is going to be your best option long term.  There are some large areas around rural here with FIOS too but I'm not holding my breath for that.  :P  I have never lived in town but we were forced to relocate last fall and lost our 5 mbps service we had up north.  :(
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Jeff, going from non-satellite with no cap to satellite with a cap can take alot of adjusting. It will get better. (: We will always be here if you need anything at all. If you can shoot me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com we can chat about any offers etc. available to you. Thanks so much and I look forward to talking with you.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I don't know why you think you're being "slapped" with a data cap. You agreed to start the service, right? You agreed to the terms of service, right? Now you're unhappy?

You shouldn't have signed up for the service. Seems easy to me. And don't tell me you had no other choice. Life is full of choices. You made one, you're unhappy with the decision you made and somehow someone else us responsible for it?
Photo of richie

richie

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
NOT EVERYONE knows about this Brian i for one am in the same situation I lived in country before and had cable now I've moved and still in country and now sat Internet .the thing is you don't know until you actually move in what choices you have so don't be quick to judge
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello richie, all of our plan availability is offered at our website www.exede.com so that we can find an option that will fit your needs before signing up.
Photo of Waterpixe70

Waterpixe70

• 65 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Why is it so hard for you to believe that there are places where there is only one ISP, Brian? It's an issue the FCC itself wants to address by keeping the internet open so competition can come into areas that desperately need it.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
It's hardly challenging to figure out why there's no competition where I am. There's no demand! My six neighbors and I aren't a "market" worth pursuing.

It's not that the market is closed to competition it's that there isn't a market at all and all the open competition laws in the land won't make it profitable for a provider to drag cables the three miles from the nearest access point.

BTW, I'm not complaining. I like my life and where I live. If satellite TV and Internet is the price I pay for my lifestyle then I'm pretty fortunate, indeed.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
I think Brian's point (and I am a different Brian so don't accuse me of having two different accounts) is that when you sign up for the service with Exede, you have to agree to a contract or service plan that stipulates a data cap.  It isn't like you signed up for a service with no cap and they added one.

If you want unlimited data and no other ISP is available, then dialup would be your only other option.  Me, personally, I will take Exede.  It is far better than nothing.

BTW - I use the internet daily at home.  Kids use it for school.  We use our cell devices for social network browsing (grandafthered unlimited data Sprint plan).  Watch a movie or two a night a week after midnight.  Upload and download cloud files (after midnight).  Do Windows and Virus updates (after midnight as well).

I still have 10.9 GB of data left with 18 days to go in the month.  It takes getting used to but you can still have a relatively normal digital life with a few trade-offs.

I wish I had unlimited high-speed cable, but I do not so I will live with what I have.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Jeff I would encourage you to contact Kimberly or the others they are very pleasant to visit with and will listen to your comments and suggestions and pass them on to the higher ups in the company.  I might set up my old Commodore 64 and play a few games on that too.  ;-)
Photo of Daniel Bonnell

Daniel Bonnell

• 39 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes

Jeff, I know just what you are talking about. Moving into the new house was really close to not happening. I was sure I would find something close to what I had with suddenlink, 50 megs of unlimited service, and only had the 50 megs for about a month. The only big thing is the down loads. I can search what ever and really not notice any difference, where it hits me is downloading. I now try to down load after midnight. Then another thing was we had a VOIP phone system. I had over $500.00 invested in this service. Phones in every room, as many people could call out at the same time. We could transfer calls to different rooms. If some on left the house they could have there calls forwarded right to their cell phones and not bother any calls already on a call. It was amazing set up. And cheap. We was looking like .001 cents per minutes or maybe less. It was the way to go. I don't mind it at all, speed is not a issue other then for down loads. I think Exedel is great, it has not been a problem with me, but I am missing so much. I have all theses smart TV's and stuff and cant use it, so as cable  or phone internet comes through my area, I will have to tell Exedel good bye. Not because of the service, the speed, its the unlimited is what I am missing. But what did we do when we didn't have internet? One thing our family is getting more group time. I think that is the best thing of all. The family time, what is sad, it took the internet to show me we was not spending enough time with each other. Maybe keep it and get rid of the cell phones. We do have good phone cell service. Just think of the fun live we would have together if we didn't have cell service. The new technology is taking over our families. Country living is fun, we walk through the woods and actually talk to each other. Maybe this is what we needed, and others should see what it don't to the families.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Excellent comments.  I agree not having the unlimited is making me break out a few old toys so to speak, but also spending less time online isn't a bad thing.  Though like you I will jump ship for the first service that comes through that is unlimited or at least a much higher cap.
Photo of Tommy Fortune

Tommy Fortune

• 37 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I still use Hulu and Netflix the only catch is I DVR / download all the shows with a software package called Playon / Playlater during the late night free zone.  I bought a lifetime license of the software for $69 and got a free Chromecast to go with it so it was like getting the software for like $35 for both programs.  Playon works great for playing all my video on every device in the house, even the Wii.

As far as VOIP you could do this to a Vonage VOIP Gateway.

What I did was unlock the gateway and adjust the SIP settings to work with Google voice. The setup works just there was way to much jitter in the connection for good voice communications.  Maybe if I had actual Exede VOIP and the correct SIP settings I could get better VOIP results.  Actually I might try the setup again because I was messing with all this before Exede even offered VOIP service, maybe they have adjusted everything now.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Jeff, since I have have always lived in the country and never had access to high data caps, I don't find it hard to accept the lower data allowances/i am really happy with what I have now that I didn't have before.....but I can see why it's different when you have had access to all the data usage you wanted....funny how much this can change one's point of view...almost makes me glad I don't have "too much".  You should look for articles online and all the stuff that has been written here about how to arrange your pc and home network settings so that you aren't inadvertently using more data than you need to.  I am pretty sure you can get your hulu and netflix back esp since you can afford the 25 gb plan...I can only afford the 10 gb but with playlater.tv I can watch anything I want from hulu/netflix.
Once I set it up to record during the free zone times, whatever I recorded is on my hard drive and I can watch anytime without using any data allowance.
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Bah- play onand play later are workarounds for a crap service. Oh well- at least I get outside more!
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
And books. Don't forget books! They're like TV that requires imagination and understanding.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
You do need a play later program and, download schedulers, that or be a night owl and only download video, music and games during the LNFZ.

As for VOIP, all of them will use data EXCEPT Exede Voice and, it is much lower priced than landline service.
Photo of Brian

Brian, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
One idea for a better understanding of what's eating your bandwidth is to try this: Anywhere you see "the cloud" substitute "somewhere on the Internet that sucks bandwidth."

Try it:

"Store all your information in the cloud. It will be accessible from everywhere!" becomes, "Store all your information somewhere on the Internet that sucks bandwidth. It will be accessible from everywhere!"

Even better, "The cloud is great!" becomes "Somewhere on the Internet that sucks bandwidth is great!" See the problem????

I've been using satellite Internet for 35 months; Wildblue and now Exede. I'm happy with it. Would I rather have a fire-hose sized pipeline flooding my Internet experience with Exabytes of data? Sure I would!!!

But then, I'd like to have city water and sewer, a mailbox that wasn't 2/3 of a mile away, and a mall that wasn't twenty miles away. And I'd like to be handsome. Yes, that too. I'd like to be handsome.

Oh wait...Screw all that. I'll take living in the country, surrounded by trees at the end of a really long driveway where I can't see, and can rarely hear, my neighbors. I'll accept that in exchange for that lifestyle I get a garden hose sized Internet experience and I have to treat every byte of data as a precious resource.

But I'd still like to be handsome.

Here's an offer for you!!! If you, like me, live in a place where SATELLITE is your ONLY option for Internet service then I'll pay for you to switch to any of those other options.

If you, unlike me, had other options for Internet service then please consider that, perhaps, YOU made a bad decision and it's time for YOU to accept responsibility and it's time for YOU start managing your data as the precious resource it is.
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Meh. Other countries have sat service /faster, cheaper and no caps. The U.S.. has the issue. Viasat could provide 300 mps tomorrow. They don't because they can charge high fees for low bandwidth without meaningful competition -thanks FCC
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Really John? I think you are spreading untruths. 
Photo of Mike Howe

Mike Howe

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
John Jodka, I think you need to go dig up some facts on the ViaSat-1 bird before you start spewing your garbage.

Read this then you'll start to have a clue:  https://www.viasat.com/files/assets/news/web/Fact%20Sheet%20High-Cap_Sat_VS-1.pdf
Photo of John Jodka

John Jodka

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Well boys - I actually saw that bird being built and used to work for a launch service co. Last week, I made a presentation to Viasats VP of QA. I GOT 300 MPS in the sticks in Korea. It can be done
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah, and I got those speeds in Little Baghdad on a dedicated service, but the trick is doing it for a million customers, 24/7.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I have the option for cable, matter of fact my neighbors both have it, the problem is my house is 1700 feet off the road so the cost to run the cable will be upwards of $15k.  Yes I am grateful to have internet but really wish something could be done about the speed being below 1mbps when I'm actually home to use my internet.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.