24 month lease option...

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

If I sign up for Exede and choose the 24 month lease option. After 24 months do I have an option to extend the prepaid lease? Or do I have to start paying the $9.99per month?

I heard that there is a new lifetime lease option for $299. If I choose the 24 month lease for $199 can I add the lifetime lease for $100 after my first 24 months? (I am currently unsure how long I will be keeping the service if its not more then 24 months the lifetime option would not be worth it!).

If I choose the lifetime option will it get carried over if I have to upgrade equipment to get service from the new satellite after it launches next year?
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Good questions, need a official rep to stop by for those answers
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I look forward to becoming a Exede customer. Would like to see more incentives to getting Exede over Gen4.

I currently have an old HughesNet plan and to upgrade to Gen4 it will be.. Free installation, lifetime equipment purchase of $199 (after discounts and rebate). And $10 off plan price for 12 months (15 GB plan will be $69.99 for 12 months then $79.99)
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I see there has not been a response from an offical rep on my post. Guess Exede does not want a new customer. They surely are not making a good first expression!
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
At the end of your 2 yrs yes you can renew your contract and prepay the 2yr lease again.  As far as buying the equipment I know HughesNet just now started offering that with out the free install.  Now as far as ViaSat I have not see or heard of the option to buy their equipment. 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
Hughes is playing it smart.  If a customer actually buys the equipment, that customer has a substantial investment in their service and a real incentive to continue that same service even when better service from ViaSat (Exede) is, or becomes available in their area.  Hughes knows ViaSat-2 is going to cause a huge migration to Exede so they are trying to secure longer-term customer dedication to their inferior service. 

(Edited)
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Craig from what I read on the site Alex posted below it says... "as long as you use the same model of equipment that is originally leased to you". This sounds like if you upgrade the new service you lose the lifetime lease. (I'm sure with the new satellite they will have a new improved modem).
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
When I first got HughesNet in 2008 I was also able to purchase my equipment, so this option has always been available. I was upgraded to a different modem about 2 years ago free and my equipment purchase was carried over to the new equipment. (The satellite I was on was being taken out of service). I believe I have got my money's worth out of the $199 equipmemt purchase in the 5 years I've been a HughesNet customer.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Official Response
Sorry for the delay in response. To get the lifetime lease, you have to choose that at the time you activate service. If you do the 24-month prepaid, you will revert to the monthly fee after 24 months; that'd be the only option. You can read more about lease options here. I'll have to check on your ViaSat-2 question -- haven't heard that one yet!
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. So if you renew the 24 month lease after the first 24 month is up. Is that a new 24 month contract where I would have to pay an early termination fee?

Does it also cover replacement equipment if the modem goes bad?
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Wish I knew about the lifetime lease when I signed up a few months ago I would have taken that over the standard 24month. :(
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Not sure when they added the lifetime option. I know it wasn't available before. One reason why I never signed up in the last few years. I contacted my local dealer and they advised me of the lifetime option just a few weeks ago. It is a good option if you plan to stay with them for a 3+ years. But not sure about how they go about upgrading to the new equipment (after they launch the new satellite).
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1083 Reply Likes
I have ExedeVoice and now that I'm past 6 months on this service, I own the little box outright.  No fees, and I don't ever have to give it back.  I suppose if it fails I'll need to purchase a new one.  It would be nice if the same conditions went with the SurfBeam2 modem after 2 years and maybe they should since it will only work with Exede anyway.  People stay when they have a vested interest in equipment for their service.  Since they are serialized, I don't think they would ever appear on eBay as used equipment if they were assigned only to the original owner.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
From what i have been able to find out they used to have it in the past and then went back to just the 2yr lease and then now is the last few months have gone back to offering the lifetime lease as an option.
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
That's strange they allow full purchase of the Exede voice box and not the modems. The box must not be worth that much. I don't know about getting the Exede voice service.
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I have just checked Exede website and they have now changed my available plans. The plans are now Liberty instead of Classic. I do not know if I like the Liberty plans. Does anyone have this plan and recommend or not recommend them? With only having 10 GB for the entire month with no unlimited usage zone I do not see these plans being useful for me. I will use 10 GB in one week or less and then have to deal with the slower 1-5 mbps speeds for 3+ weeks. The reason for upgrading is so I have faster and better speeds then what I currently have with HughesNet (1-3 mbps max -- with slower during peak). 1-5 mbps doesn't sound too bad I guess but don't know if I want to upgrade and have the same speeds as I currently have. I am affraid these speeds are going to be closer to 1 mbps most the time or even slower during peak hours.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
There have been a few people that have switched over to the liberty plan and as of right know have not seen any change in service even after using up their "priority" data.  In the event that you think you will need more priority data for a month or two and are worried about being on the pass you do have to option to upgrade or downgrade your plan at anytime.
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
That is good to know about being able to upgrade / downgrade plans. But the $99.99 a month plan is too high for my budget. So I do not see ever upping to that plan. That is way too much to spend for internet!
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The first level of liberty is the 69.99 plus 9.99 for the modem lease. The speeds are okay for video/streaming after your monthly 12 GB are used up. The only problem I have when using IDM to download multiple videos is that I get 200 to 400kb of DWN  LD speed, which makes it hard to DL more than one video at a time. You don't need anything past the 69.99 Liberty plan because those 12 GB are a joke if you stream daily.

Pros: Sufficient speed to stream regularly even with 5 active users during summer months. Speed after 12 GB is actually faster than advertised which is a plus. 

Cons: No more multiple DL after 12GB. No more un-metered time zones.
After 150 gb speed is reduced even slower. 

PS You should make it a habit to reboot All of your equipment with tech support to ensure proper speeds. Sometimes the loss of packets will dramatically effect speeds.
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The plans listed for my area are Liberty 10 ($59.99) Liberty 18 ($99.99) and Liberty 30 ($149.99). If it were more then 10 GB for the $59.99 plan (at the full advertised speeds) it wouldn't be so bad.

My main reason to change service is to be able to use multiple devices at once. Currently with my old HughesNet service I get kicked out of stuff when someone else goes to use Internet.

What do you mean by rebooting equipment with tech support?
Photo of wildcats198308

wildcats198308

• 45 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.