2 year problem speed page load etc

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I was with Wildblue for 3 years, Exede for about 3 years and ViaSat now for about 3 years. Never had a problem until about 2 years ago. I'm on the Freedom 25 150 GB of PRIORITY DATA.

I called tech support about 18 months ago. I was having problems with speed & page load time. I was told my modem needed replaced and we schedule a date to have it done. The tech came out was here about an hour. Told me every thing  was done. Showed me I was getting 14 GB Down. After he left I checked out the new modem and he didn't replace it. Within hours my speed dropped down again. I called tech support told them what happened. They said there wasn't an order to replace my modem. They sent out another tech who did exactly the same as the last tech. About 3 hours later I called tech support with the same problems. I was told if they send a tech out again  would be charged and there was no guarantee the problem would be fixed. I talked to the supervisor who with a flip of the swift to trns 19(?). He explained how he fixed the problem. The next day I discover I was put on another plan that cost more. I sent in a complaint. They put me back on my regular plan. The problem is they also switched me back to the problems I was having. 

I currently get less than 3 GB DL during 16 hours of the day. Out of that I get 1 GB or less for 10 - 12 hours a day. I'm unable to stream or the quality is so bad you can't make any thing out.

I know it says "up to 25". I can deal with a steady 5 BG DL. I'm not up during the 8 hours when the speeds are some times better.

They fixed my problem once when they thought I was going to switch to another plan. When I said no they undid whatever the fix was. Now I'm left with an ISP charging me for less than 3 GB DL a month. I'm afraid to call tech support I can't afford to pay for a tech to come out. Even though I pay the extra money for this kind of stuff.

I checked what other plans were available. There are 3 plans which are the same 3 they've been offering for years.

What does one do? There should be a law for what I'm paying and for I get. Especially when it's "priority data"

I'm open to hearing any thoughts, idea's or of any known fixes?
Photo of Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 652 Posts
  • 609 Reply Likes
You're a little late to the party - but it was the subject of hot debate around here about a year ago now.

Viasat changed the terms of the Freedom plan as well as the legacy 150 GB Unlimited plans on Viasat-1.

To summarize and during periods of network congestion, you may be prioritized behind other customers who have not exceeded their data allowance or usage threshold regardless of the amount of data you have actually used

The options you have have are to keep the plan, change or "upgrade" plans (as you noted being put on a less restrictive plan that costs more), or hit the bricks. 

For some, there was a delay before the full impact of that change was realized based on subscriber levels on your beam, for others it was almost immediate. 

Some have successfully held onto their plans based on their beam's subscriber levels or their ability to time shift their usage into non-congested periods; others have successfully transitioned to other plans that aren't as restrictive (beware the need for a new 2 year commit if changing satellites and an installer visit is required); while other's have simply moved on to greener pastures.   
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the reply Old Labs.

Basically you're saying even though I pay for 25 DL & 150 GB / mo all other plans take priority or me even if I haven't come close to using my 150 GB?

The upgrade they tried to switch me to which offered 100 GB / mo & 25 DL cost over $40 more a month. My DL was still under 5Mbps not to mention I'm a disable vet on a fixed income & due to a stroke some times I get confused. I know I can't afford the $40 a month more.

According to my account the only available upgrades are the Liberty 12 DL w/ 12 GB / mo, Liberty 12 DL w/25 GB & 12 DL w/50 GB. None of these plans come close to what I have. I may be missing some thing but these plans seem to be more restrictive. When all is working good we use on average about 60 GB / mo.

I have no problem signing a new 2 year commitment for something that works as described.
Photo of Spidey

Spidey

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Many results from about a year ago. Search for the terms 150gb policy change, or something like that. https://community.viasat.com/viasat/t...
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 652 Posts
  • 609 Reply Likes
Yes, that's basically it straight from the data allowance policy over at viasat.com/legal.

Less restrictive with respect to when prioritization kicks in...
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 652 Posts
  • 609 Reply Likes
Yes, that's basically it straight from the data allowance policy over at viasat.com/legal.

Less restrictive with respect to when prioritization kicks in...
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
After Viasat changed their data policy on the 150GB plans, I switched from my favorite Freedom plan to the Liberty 12GB plan. I have always been on the 12 Mbps plans, and have no problems. After switching from the Freedom plan, my speeds went from 1 Mbps or less to 8 to 18 Mbps, depending on the time of day while on priority data, and 5 to 10 Mbps while on the "pass", the evenings being the slower times. I typically use around 40 to 50 GB per month. Any speeds 5 Mbps or above meet my needs for my HD streaming. I am the only user in the house  most of the time, except for my cat, who is not given access to the internet, but is limited to watching what I am watching.

I also have a truly unlimited plan with a wireless carrier, but that is sometimes too slow to do any streaming, especially on weekends and after 4 p.m., since the prepaid wireless plan is prioritized where I am on their lowest priority.
Photo of Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I appreciate the replies & everything you said.

Steve, I'm going to try the Liberty Plan. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks !!!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2142 Posts
  • 1244 Reply Likes
Is Liberty available to you?

Get a cheapest plan, utilize PlayOn Cloud and the free zone, pay Viasat the least you have to!