18 inches of snow and I never lost service

• Praise
  • Updated 11 months ago
Had a huge snowstorm over the weekend here in the mountains of NC. Incredibly, I never lost my Viasat connection even with the dish covered in snow. In previous storms I usually had to wipe the snow off the dish a few times in order to regain connection. This time, not even once. Impressive.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Glad you are doing okay!

I have found the type of snow to impact service. Wet, heavy stuff really can cause problems. But based on your location and the time of year, wouldn't that be what you got?
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
That's what was unusual. It was a heavy wet snow. My Dish service went out a couple of times, but Viasat never did. I usually have way less issues with the dry powdery stuff that falls during really cold temps.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2169 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
Nice.  Like VetSat, I have issues with the wet, sloppy, heavy stuff, but with fluffy snow I can have a three or four inch buildup on the dish and still have access.  Same with my DirecTV.  
Photo of TomG

TomG

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Normal snow pattern here (SW Montana) is from the south west...right into the face of the dish. DirecTV shuts down first. ViaSat and Hughes (I am on ViaSat, my Lady on Hughes) go down about the same time. Three inches of dry snow is no problem but one-half inch of wet snow will shut me down. Pole mounts on both I'net systems are within 50 feet of house. StarBand was about the same many many years ago. (Still on Anik F2 ...me and three other guys, I think)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Ice is the worst! On an old DirecPC system in the 90's I remember heating the dish with a blow torch to melt the ice!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3509 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Glad it worked for you during all that. Hopefully a little warmer now. One of my friends in NC posted this

l
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I bet it is absolutely beautiful there, as long as I didnt have to go anywhere!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I pretty much just stayed home on Sunday and a good bit of Monday. It took me over an hour to get my truck out of my driveway because the snow was so deep.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Ski North Carolina! Lol
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
There's some good skiing in the mountains of NC. Ski Beech is at an elevation of 5500 feet and gets an average of about 100 inches of snow per year. Pretty incredible for being in the South.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
I remember what Virginia was like when I moved there in 1993.  A few weeks after the move the area got about eight inches of snow, which for them was practically a blizzard.  Everything was shut down, the stores were all bare of milk, bread and TP. and there were cars off the road all over the place.  I was riding with my brother in his service truck, and we were cracking up.  We couldn't believe eight inches caused such chaos.  It was SO different than what I was used to.  Then again, plows here, where I grew up, are practically the size of small houses.  

We got this (below) overnight a couple of weeks ago.  A few local schools were shut down for the day, but not much more.   We didn't go anywhere that day, but a neighbor down the road came later in the day and plowed both my folks' and my driveway out.  

And, yes, that green thing in the middle that is nearly buried is my paper box.  Taken from my house, leaning out a living room window, and toward my folks' house.  

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
The problem with this storm is that it hit pretty hard in areas outside of the mountains that don't typically get much snow in winter. Places such as Hickory, Greensboro and Winston-Salem had a foot or more. Folks in those areas aren't very experienced in driving in that kind of weather or dealing with it. Old timers in the higher elevations know how to deal with heavy snow since they get it on a yearly basis.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
So can I snowmobile the Blue Ridge Parkway???  That would be awesome!  (though not legal).  lol
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I know you can ski the Parkway when it's closed to traffic. Not sure about snowmobiles.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
How much snow did Grandfather Mountain report? It gets nasty on a good day in the summer!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I believe Grandfather Mountain got 23 inches. Mount Mitchell, a little further south, got 34.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
There use to be a caretaker that lived on Mount Mitchell back maybe 20 years or so ago. I think he retired.

Neat place. On a clear day I believe you can see 70 to 100 miles.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yep. From the top of Grandfather you can see the skyscrapers of downtown Charlotte on a clear day. About 100 miles.