150 plan

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
I just changed to the 150gb plan and realized after I did it that there is no liberty pass with the plan. Although 150gb may seem like a lot, we were going through 50gb in three or four days so I'm sure this plan won't last the whole month. My question is, what happens when we run out of data?
Photo of starr cornett

starr cornett

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
Hi starr,   When you run out of data, you can purchase additional GB - Buy More for $9.99 a GB.  If you use all of your priority data, your speeds will be slowed.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes

50GB in 3 days would equate to around 500GB/month.  What in the heck are you doing to eat that much data?!?!?  Cloud services?  7 x 24 Netflix on HD?   150GB might not be a lot, but 500GB/month is well above the household usage norm/month, satellite internet or otherwise.  You might want to look at why you are using so much data, perhaps there are ways you can conserve some.

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 488 Posts
  • 361 Reply Likes
VetSat, when we run into a customer using this much data this fast, it almost always ends up being gamers. I know a gamer who regularly uses 3-4 terabytes of data per month.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
Yes 50GB games I understand. Using 3-4 TB's a month on a satellite internet connection should be well above and beyond an acceptable use level and per the contract subject to account termination.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3015 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Exactly. On the rare times I do have to do a big game download at home, it takes me a week to do it with 10GB per night during the free zone. That's rare but, if it's a closed beta, I sometimes have to download it directly to my gaming rig rather than to an external hard drive.

I can see up to 500GB per month if you cut the cord, that's about how much cellular data my husband uses using it as his only internet and entertainment on the road as a truck driver. Beyond that needs investigating and/or educating when you have a metered internet data plan.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
In 2016, the average household used 190GB/month.  So 500GB is well over twice the normal usage of a household.  Now for a person that is using 6 - 8 times that, something else is going on beyond just downloading and playing games I am telling you :). 
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 488 Posts
  • 361 Reply Likes
I'm sorry VetSat, I realize I caused some confusion that I didn't intend to. The gamer I was talking about is NOT on Exede, he's on cable.

The whole reason I asked him in the first place was I was gathering information for the last dealer meeting I went to.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
Okay. Thank goodness it was a terrestrial connection. I believe they might be using that much data, but again, I doubt it is all gaming related, no matter what they say :).
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 384 Reply Likes
starr,  Please send your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com and we will be happy to review your account. 
Photo of Steve Clemens

Steve Clemens

• 23 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am not a 'gamer', I have the 150GB + boost, using 1 Roku TV during the day, 1 at night, streaming CNN/MSNBC, no HD movies. I reached that 150GB in SEVEN DAYS....given that usage I would use 600GB in a month. Today, I cannot send an email, cannot use Exede facebook chat and as I have a VoIP phone, there is so much static I can't call customer service.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3015 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
Steve, all of that is HD video streaming so 1 GB an hour or more. VOIP also uses data unless it's Exede Voice. You need to reduce the hours of streaming, use an ad blocker like UBlock to save data. 20 hours per week is 4 hours per day and, that should be fine but, to use 150GB in a week would be about 22 hours per day of streaming, meaning you probably left something playing while you slept. That isn't wise on metered internet service.

Here are more tips to help you control data usage: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data