• 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • t

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
While we haven't yet determined what our speeds and plans will look like with the new satellite, we're pretty sure we'll offer at least 25 Mbps download speeds from coast to coast, with faster options likely available in some areas. We'll let you know as soon as we do, but it won't be until sometime this fall.
Photo of James Jackson

James Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Going from 140 Gbps to 440 Gbps is actually a 314% increase.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Sorry the increase is 300gbs (440 -140) so the % increase is (300/140) * 100 which is 214.3%  rounded to the nearest tenth.

Or to put it in English the % of increase cannot include the original bandwidth.
Photo of James Jackson

James Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm no mathematician, but when I multiply the original 140 Gbps * 214.3% I get 300 Gbps which is only the capacity of Viasat 2.  The combined total of both satellites will be 440 Gbps.  140 * 314.3% = 440.  Put another way, the total new capacity will be 440 Gbps divided by the original 140 Gbps gives you  3.143 * 100 = 314.3%.  Viasat 2 has 214.3% more capacity than Viasat 1, but the capacity of the two satellites together will be 314.3% higher because we're not losing the capacity of Viasat 1.

Either way, it's a very welcome, large, increase that I hope will provide us with much higher data caps at more reasonable prices.  Higher bandwidth is not as important to me, although a more consistent 12-15 Mbps would be nice.  Any higher than that is just gravy.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
"I'm no mathematician, but when I multiply the original 140 Gbps * 214.3% I get 300 Gbps which is only the capacity of Viasat 2."

Yep that's right!!!!!  And that is what is going to be ADDED to the current bandwidth. I went back to Brads post to make sure he was talking increase and Percentages and verified he was.
You take my numbers (%increase (214.3%) in Gbps )300 +( existing  Gpbs )140 = 440GBps. And that's a fact! I never questioned the final bandwidth value and the way I do the calculation supports 440Gbps. But the INCREASE is Still 214.3%. Percents can be tricky at times.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Percents can be tricky at times.
You bet they can, I'm still trying to figure out where Alex got 142% from... ;)

I am a mathematician and as originally phrased it's 214.3%; however, I cheated and used:

http://www.marshu.com/articles/calculate-percentage-increase-decrease-percent-calculator.php 

But more importantly since nobody's asked recently, are we there yet Alex???
(Edited)