• 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • t

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
While we haven't yet determined what our speeds and plans will look like with the new satellite, we're pretty sure we'll offer at least 25 Mbps download speeds from coast to coast, with faster options likely available in some areas. We'll let you know as soon as we do, but it won't be until sometime this fall.
Photo of James Jackson

James Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Going from 140 Gbps to 440 Gbps is actually a 314% increase.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Sorry the increase is 300gbs (440 -140) so the % increase is (300/140) * 100 which is 214.3%  rounded to the nearest tenth.

Or to put it in English the % of increase cannot include the original bandwidth.
Photo of James Jackson

James Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm no mathematician, but when I multiply the original 140 Gbps * 214.3% I get 300 Gbps which is only the capacity of Viasat 2.  The combined total of both satellites will be 440 Gbps.  140 * 314.3% = 440.  Put another way, the total new capacity will be 440 Gbps divided by the original 140 Gbps gives you  3.143 * 100 = 314.3%.  Viasat 2 has 214.3% more capacity than Viasat 1, but the capacity of the two satellites together will be 314.3% higher because we're not losing the capacity of Viasat 1.

Either way, it's a very welcome, large, increase that I hope will provide us with much higher data caps at more reasonable prices.  Higher bandwidth is not as important to me, although a more consistent 12-15 Mbps would be nice.  Any higher than that is just gravy.
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 232 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
"I'm no mathematician, but when I multiply the original 140 Gbps * 214.3% I get 300 Gbps which is only the capacity of Viasat 2."

Yep that's right!!!!!  And that is what is going to be ADDED to the current bandwidth. I went back to Brads post to make sure he was talking increase and Percentages and verified he was.
You take my numbers (%increase (214.3%) in Gbps )300 +( existing  Gpbs )140 = 440GBps. And that's a fact! I never questioned the final bandwidth value and the way I do the calculation supports 440Gbps. But the INCREASE is Still 214.3%. Percents can be tricky at times.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3286 Posts
  • 3247 Reply Likes
Percents can be tricky at times.
You bet they can, I'm still trying to figure out where Alex got 142% from... ;)

I am a mathematician and as originally phrased it's 214.3%; however, I cheated and used:

http://www.marshu.com/articles/calculate-percentage-increase-decrease-percent-calculator.php 

But more importantly since nobody's asked recently, are we there yet Alex???
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3000 Posts
  • 1246 Reply Likes
I'd be happy with the same plans but, one video service unlimited usage, be that DirecTv, Netflix, Vevo, YouTube, whatever, just one service we could stream unlimited (Assuming we subscribed, if it's a pay to view service.)
Photo of les

les

• 85 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I also agree that our plan is ok and streams great, but the data limit prevents us from using our ISP to watch movies as they use a lot of data :(
Photo of austin kastner

austin kastner

• 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would like unlimited streaming
Photo of Imma

Imma

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
What will be the estimated upload speeds? 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2152 Posts
  • 382 Reply Likes
Imma, we do not have that information yet.  We will share as soon as it is available.
Photo of Aaron Moore

Aaron Moore

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What will happen to current subscribers, when new plans come along? After all, nobody wants to subscribe now and be stuck in an old, inferior, plan or situation.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3241 Posts
  • 3209 Reply Likes
What will happen to current subscribers, when new plans come along? After all, nobody wants to subscribe now and be stuck in an old, inferior, plan or situation.
If history holds true, you'll have an opportunity to upgrade and move over to the new satellite. But no details have really been made available yet or whether there will be any charges associated since it will require an installer visit to at least re-aim the dish.

Being "stuck" on the old satellite may not be so bad (and some on the west coast without a line of sight to the new satellite may simply not be able to switch to the new satellite due to a lower elevation) - as more people switch to the new bird and its promise of better things, capacity will free up of the old satellite making things more bearable for those who stay.

Choose wisely for now... ViaSat hasn't announced its marketing plans just yet and it's unlikely they will until ready to unleash the new plans.
(Edited)
Photo of Aaron Moore

Aaron Moore

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a ton for the advice! Best to wait for the new satellite!
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 73 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
My past experience with Viasat is that they will ignore current subscribers and go after more new  subscribers to lock in that 2 years of revenue.
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 23 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
That's exactly what I am afraid of.....then we are once again stuck in the same doom loop. 12 to 25 mb down at peak times has to be a priority for Exede, or else they will lose more than they will gain in my opinion.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2876 Posts
  • 959 Reply Likes
The thing to take into consideration is packages aside, this will free up a lot of bandwidth as we're doubling our ENTIRE capacity. Even if you don't get a signal from ViaSat 2 the workload will be shifted over and open the door to more robust plans and speed regardless which satellite you are pointed to. Everything done in the last 3 years Freedom Plan, Liberty Plans, Speedboost, ect all are on the same satellite and if some bandwidth gets shifted over and we have a lot more comfortable space we can improve the existing connection as a result.
Photo of Aaron Moore

Aaron Moore

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Excellent info! I'll wait until the new satellite is available!