1 day with Viasat and already thinking of filing a small claims court complaint.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
Just great...got Viasat installed yesterday and my download speeds this morning are at 456 kbps and upload is at 136 kbps (yup, that’s kbps on both). So, in other words, no internet and I work from home. And that’s on the 5g, if I go to 24g it’s even worse. It’s a complete joke. I should have kept my Verizon mobile hotspot and my cell booster antenna. The h**l if I am staying in a 2-year contract with Viasat if this isn’t fixed. That would be a very easy lawsuit.

Wish I would have read this blog before signing up.  Time for small claims court if they don't fix it. They can sell you a product and they don't deliver the minimum, I don't think so. 
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Leo George Jr

Leo George Jr

• 49 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Run away fast, don't walk..............
Photo of Janie M Minten

Janie M Minten

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have had this service since it was Wildblue. Then it was Exede. Now it is Viasat. I live in a rural area of South Texas on a ranch far away from all services. I have no choice but satellite for internet. I had nearly every problem that I have ever read about on here. SLOW was not the word for it! I love to watch movies on Amazon Prime, but even though with the new (for me, at least) Viasat was better than the others, it came and went with regularity. One day I would have internet (slow), another day, it was back (slow). It was very erratic! 

They sent out technicians, but the problem was never corrected. FINALLY, I called again, and they sent someone who knew what he was doing!!! All he did was put more bolts holding the dish to the house. We have terrific winds from the southeast that blow here most of the time. My dish was shifting and getting off just enough to totally disrupt service or at least slow down the speeds to almost nothing.

I have had no problems for months now. I just checked my speeds with Ookla, and my download is 17.24 Mbps. Upload is 5.01. I stream Amazon Prime movies all the time in the evenings from 8:00 to midnight

. I did have to upgrade to Unlimited Gold 12. I was always using WAY over the 18 GB of data that I had on my old plan. That was really slowing things down and costing me to add data each month.

Right at the moment, I am very satisfied with Exede! I just wish it were cheaper. I'm paying nearly $165.00 a month for the joy and convenience of internet! I run two businesses--a beef cattle ranch and a Christmas business-- and internet is absolutely necessary to both. The Christmas business is located here on our ranch!
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Starlink is coming.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 203 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Before wasting more of your money and time worrying about court filings please read your CONTRACT where-as they have legally covered the issue of what you MAY receive as far as service and data allowances. You will find like I did that you are screwed. Many have come here and declared what they will do. NONE have ever succeeded over the many years. Good luck
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Mark Dankberg can KMA if he thinks I will just pay for something and not get it. I think this would be a good 60 MInute story on national TV.
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I just asked 60 Minutes to do a story on Viasat.  They love stories like this. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 747 Posts
  • 731 Reply Likes
None of us will see it, we can't stream.
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
LOL  Good One.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 202 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
I am all in.. I have a story to tell
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 833 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
It will never happen.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2395 Posts
  • 1411 Reply Likes
People have contacted the FBI (or FIB in the GTA universe).

Still waiting for that report.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 747 Posts
  • 731 Reply Likes
Somewhere deep in FBI headquarters, Penelope Garcia is still looking at that modem still accumulating data with a cut off ethernet cable. After last night's Ancient Aliens, I'm betting on moai statues.
(Edited)
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I can't even do a speed test because I have no internet. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3266 Posts
  • 2105 Reply Likes
bruce3966, what speeds do you get when hooking a laptop directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable. It is possible that your wireless speeds are slow because of a poor wireless signal in the area your devices are located.

Also, what stats are reported by your modem for RxSNR and Cable resistance?  RxSNR should be well above 6.0 db, 9.0 is typical if the dish is aimed properly, unless you are at the outer edge of your beam. Cable resistance should be less than 3.0 ohms for a good installation.

Send an email to the corporate team at viasatlistens@viasat.com. Include a description of your slow speeds and your account number and a phone contact. Do not post this information here as this is a public forum visible to anyone.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 503 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
That will be your normal speed during most hours for the next 2 years unless you run away from their "up to" promice.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 203 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
That was my experiemce

• 3266 Posts
  • 2105 Reply Likes
Tim Spake, that may be your experience with Viasat, but does not mean that it is everyone's experience. I for one have always gotten speeds near or well above the 12 Mbps that I subscribe to.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 503 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
I guess you are special but my proof was the every day speed and lack of customer service for 2 years. I left and now am enjoing Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime that I could never do with Viacrap.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 203 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Never said

Everyone
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I'm on a Liberty plan and get between 8-12 Mbps most of the day and night. The exception is during primetime and during bad weather.
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Speeds are pretty great when hard wired and the router is within 3 feet of me so a distance should not be an issue. 
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Also I keep my VPN off because I know that can slow things down or at least now I know--ugh. Also, movies stream well but my laptop is slower than crap.  My iPad works ok though but it's my laptop I need the most for work. 
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
46 mbps download and 4.9 upload tested on Speedtest and hard wired.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 747 Posts
  • 731 Reply Likes
Might want to hold off on that small claims court thing ;)

Sounds like a WiFi issue - which modem do you have?
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Testmynet shows 54 mbps download and 424 kbps upload with VPN disconnected. Uploads are mega slow so speedtest is just wrong at 4.9 mbps. 

I was trying to send this and lost all internet.  Had to reboot the Viasat router.  What a complete joke.  At least I'll be able to use their dish as a bird bath for the birds outside. 

I heard Viasat was better than Hughesnet---if that's true I just can't imagine how bad Hughesnet is. 
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The white V shaped one they put in. It only says Viasat on it.  Just did a testmynet with VPN off and not hard wired and got 59mbps and upload of 726 kbps however, I notice this goes way up and then way down to nothing within minutes.  Just up and down all the time since install. It's not a windy day so no trees are swaying heavily into the line of site of the dish. 

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Ditch the Viasat router and get your own. Will probably give better speeds on WiFi.
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'm sort of techy but if I get my own router, do I need a modem also?  I think the Viasat is both corrrect?  I was thinking of getting the Linksys, Triband, AC 4000, 4 Gbps route

Admiral Korbohuta

• 439 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
You can turn the router on the Viasat modem off. As far as routers go, I've always used Netgear and they have never failed me. And no, you do not need another modem.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2439 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Gosh it really is the weekend!

For what it is worth, I got rid of Viasat for a mobile hotspot. The hotspot has served me well and I am more satisfied with it than satellite internet.

Just wait until the OP goes over priority data!
(Edited)
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I hope I don;t go over 60GB's a month.  I don;t stream and just use it for work.  IF I do and it throttles down so far I have nothing, I will throw them whole thing in the river.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 417 Posts
  • 182 Reply Likes
When I was with Viasat my WiFi improved significantly when I added tri band band Linksys router, you must use the Viasat modem and you can bridge the modem/router and use your stand alone router.

Your WiFi speed and area will improve markedly.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2429 Posts
  • 1435 Reply Likes
60GB just isn't too much.

Hopefully no video conferencing for work. And remote access can be dodgy at time if you must do that.
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Just stop paying them. They are not going to file a lawsuit against you. They might send it to collections, but that is easy to dispute off of your credit files.

Just threaten the collection agency with a lawsuit for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). 99% of collection agencies will run fast and drop their collection activity. They are not in the business of paying $5,000 in legal fees to fight. They are looking for low hanging fruit.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
They might send it to collections, but that is easy to dispute off of your credit files.
Easy?  No, it's not easy.  It can be done, but it can often be a painful and lengthy process, especially if/when the collections is legitimate.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1440 Reply Likes
But again.  Some people could care less about their credit!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
Most who would do that have no credit rating to worry about. Having said that, I do wish that Viasat would have a policy of letting people out of the contract when the performance is documented to be as poor as some experience.
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
LOL, I just read the full Viasat contract. There is an arbitration agreement for the American Arbitration Association (AAA). I have done this many times before. Arbitration is a great way to gain leverage over a company.

Under the consumer rules of arbitration with the AAA you pay $200 to start the process for the consumer fee. Then the business has to pay all of the business fees.

https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Fee_Schedule_0.pdf

Filing fee $300
Case Management Fee $1,400
Hearing Fee $500
Arbitrator compensation $2,500 per day.
Total $4,700

The company will typically agree to resolve any issues you want in order to avoid paying the arbitration fees of $4700. I have used this many times in the past when a company is not providing something that was promised or in general behaving badly. They have always settled in order to avoid arbitration. It simply isn't worth it for them to fight arbitration when the amounts are less than $4700. They also usually have to get an outside law firm to deal with it, which costs more. And you can demand the hearing take place in your county where you live, so the company has to hire a law firm in your state.
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
You can have accurate negative collections removed easily from your credit files. Just file a lawsuit for violation of the FDCPA and FCRA. They will cave instantly. Hiring a lawyer not worth it for small collections when the amount they are trying to collect is less than $10,000. They would have to pay a lawyer that much just to fight you. 

Often just a good threatening letter, making the correct FDCPA and FCRA claims, is enough to get the collection agency to drop your account and delete their negatives from your credit file.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
If the collection record is accurate, what is the FDCPA or FCRA violation?
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
It is fairly easy to catch a collection agency in some violation, even if the underlying debt is accurate. That doesn't stop you from having a FDCPA claim for them violating the rules of the collection process.

https://www.stopcollections.org/ask-an-attorney/common-fdcpa-violations

And if they have not actually violated anything, just claim they did. They have to show up and fight you regardless. They are not willing to pay the legal fees. They will offer to delete and cancel the collection.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
That’s what I thought. These are techniques for those with not morals or ethics. Got it. No thanks.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 502 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
What is unethical, using a good defence or Viasat charging you for no service?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 843 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
I love the threats of people that are totally ignorant of the legal system in this country. "Sue Viasat in small claims court?" I think someone needs to do a little homework before spewing garbage. Hope you are willing to go to San Diego County California to file your lawsuit and show up in court there.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
@Tim Both are unethical. Is that meant to be a trick question?

• 3265 Posts
  • 2104 Reply Likes
I love weekend chatter on this forum. I hope the forum is never shut down, I would then lose the very interesting discussions.

I have plenty of popcorn and beer, I am all set.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1440 Reply Likes
Pay $200 in arbitration to maybe save no more than a hundred dollars or so of an early term fee.

Makes sense!
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 502 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
My bet its a lot more than that for early cancel on 2 years
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1440 Reply Likes
No it is not.  It is $15/month for each month remaining.  So if you cancel after the first month, it is $345 max. 

Most people get disillusioned with satellite internet after 6 months or so.  That is why I figure $300 if that. 

Of course you do have to return the tria and modem.  If not, more fees.  But that is a story for another day!
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
@voyager 
"That’s what I thought. These are techniques for those with not morals or ethics. Got it. No thanks."

If a company is screwing you over with a non-negotiable contract, then failing to provide anywhere close to the service that was advertised, then morals plays no role in the process. A strategic default is part of the business process. Both sides determine whether it is in their interest to continue with a contract or to break the contract. If the consumer decides to break the contract early, then both sides can take whatever actions are in their best interest going forward. It is in my best interest to remove negative items from my credit files. This is not a "morals or ethics" issue. It's just business. Businesses break contracts all of the time. If the consequences are acceptable, then there is nothing wrong with doing it.
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 42 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
@voyager 
"That’s what I thought. These are techniques for those with not morals or ethics. Got it. No thanks."

If a company is screwing you over with a non-negotiable contract, then failing to provide anywhere close to the service that was advertised, then morals plays no role in the process. A strategic default is part of the business process. Both sides determine whether it is in their interest to continue with a contract or to break the contract. If the consumer decides to break the contract early, then both sides can take whatever actions are in their best interest going forward. It is in my best interest to remove negative items from my credit files. This is not a "morals or ethics" issue. It's just business. Businesses break contracts all of the time. If the consequences are acceptable, then there is nothing wrong with doing it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2582 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
I have plenty of popcorn and beer, I am all set.
I've got my cheese puffs and Dr. Pepper.  :) 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 842 Posts
  • 294 Reply Likes
How many free meals do you get each week at restaurants by complaining to the manager?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2983 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
54 mbps sounds amazing!  I am on Viasat 1 and the best I ever get is 18 mpbs. 

It sounds like you are on a good Viasat 2 beam, and simply have a defective modem.  Why not give Viasat a chance to fix the problem instead of threatening to sue?

If you bought a bad TV at Walmart would you threaten to sue them before returning to the store to have them exchange it?
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Sounds like the problem was just the pathetic abilities of the built-in wifi of the modem.   
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Oh and now I just read that VPN's either do not work or greatly slow down the speed--lovely.  I have to use a VPN sometimes to access sites at work.  I work for a Fortune 100 company and our security is tight.  Now sites within our company time out because the upload drops to about 1 mbps and uploads is not even there---lovely again.  I might just pay the $345 and tell them to come and get their crap but leave me the dish I can use as a bird bath.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2559 Posts
  • 1590 Reply Likes
You can keep the dish.  They don't want it back.  However, they do want the modem and tria back, which you send.  They don't pick them up for you.  
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'll read the terms and conditions and see if they state VPN issues are known. 

Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Ha ha--they do say in the T&C's VPN may either but slow or don't work at all.  Well, I will chalk this up as a big mistake, pay the $345 and just call it a very expensive bird bath with the verbiage VIASAT on it.  :)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 383 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
So what will be your replacement internet service?
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'll just keep my two mobile hotspots from work which is 30GB a month together and the iPad from work which is 10GB per month and my Iphone from work which is 20GB per month so 60 GB a month.  I just won't ever stream any movies but I work from our cottage and I don't need to watch any streamed movies.  I rarely watch TV.  I have gone over those 60 GB's a few times when I streamed when I stream football games but at least I still had internet which is not too slow.  I'll make it work but I won't pay $100 to Viasat for crappy internet service.  Their customer service told me to cut down some more trees.  I just laughed.

We have fiber optics on our remote road within 2-3 years but y that time maybe SpaxeX will have satellite internet and Hughesnet and Viasat will go bye bye.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2395 Posts
  • 1411 Reply Likes
What would cutting down trees have anything to do with it?  You either get a signal or you don't.

You are correct, VPN's bypass the acceleration technology uses to deliver "faster" speeds.  They will work (I used a VPN for years) but you will not get optimum speed. 

Get the two hotspots.  You will be better off.  You will have lower latency, won't be prone to weather delays, and it will serve your needs will.

You have learned the draw backs of satellite internet.  Like you said, you wish you knew now what you didn't know then.  But, you will be better off in the long run moving on.
Photo of bruce3966

bruce3966

• 17 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yup, I'll be cancelling tomorrow and I believe since they bill you to the end of the month I will eat up the 60GB for March and stream movies. 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 833 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Cutting down trees could help a lot if they are infringing on the beam path. It isn’t at all binary in regard to receiving a signal. The signal can vary from very weak to very strong depending on what is in between.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2395 Posts
  • 1411 Reply Likes
Yea.  I am sure customer service could tell how many trees are in the way :)

Now if the installer had a concern, that would be a different story. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 747 Posts
  • 731 Reply Likes
Yup, I'll be cancelling tomorrow and I believe since they bill you to the end of the month I will eat up the 60GB for March and stream movies. 

Nope, once you cancel it's effective immediately I believe and they ship a return kit for modem/tria. They don't have a way to "schedule" cancels.
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 414 Posts
  • 181 Reply Likes
As I recall, i called to terminate viasat around the 14th of June, when the workman were installing my  FIOS cable.  The V rep said you are paid until the end of the month so if you want to keep using it you can, your signal will be on until 30 June.  She requested the packing material and I received that the first week of July.  She also removed my card from my account.

I left my dish intact until July 1, then removed the required Tria etc. A day or two later my box arrived to send my equipment back.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 91 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
If your installation and setup are good it comes down to how much Viasat has over sold the beam your on. Mine gets very congested and comes to a crawl, it does not matter how much "priority" time is left. I'm hoping Starlink gets up and running sooner than later.