@ ViaSat, take -3

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged

Where's my Median speed? or...When?

It's 11:50AM now and this is my speed.  My plan re-newed night-before-last and I haven't used so much as a GB yet this month.  I was told half the time my speed would be normal but so far this past month it has not exceeded 1.25Mbps at any time on any speed test at any test site.  What I'm showing now is higher than typical for the past month.  

Don't give me another 'boiler-plate' answer.  I want the facts.  Why isn't my speed what you said it would be, even in this fake network policy change (fake, due to lies about it's purpose and speed characteristics).  Of course you do understand every test I make is evidence of fraud on your part.  It's pretty serious here in California. 

As per your "bandwidth-usage-policy" my service may be prioritized behind others who also have not used all their data for the month.   This is fine with me since this beam (369) is not suffering from congestion so my speed is evidence of network throttling, something you claim you don't do.  I am throttled because a lowering of priority will not achieve the slow-down results you seek to impose on me as punishment for remaining on my very expensive, but generous data plan.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
  • Like ViaSat needs a government monitor present to supervise operations

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Sounds to me like you are going to be doing something about this.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
Ummm... yea.  It's time for my friends at Keysight Technologies to come visit again.
It's amazing what they'll do just to have a pig-hunt for a few days.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Karma is a

That is all I will say

Good luck in with whatever you do and decide.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
They tell me they have a new toy... it cost 3 million dollars!  Can't wait to see what it can do.
Photo of Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

Chaim Isaac Lipschitz

• 37 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I am very happy with my service. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
We, the silent majority who number in the 100's of thousands, will not forgive you if your actions injure us.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes

That doesn't compute.  You apparently don't understand the full-scope of what's going on.  ViaSat decided strong-arm tactics are more effective than positive incentives, but there are risk involved. I intend to "pin the tail on the donkey" since nobody else seems to care enough to do the same, or they just don't have the resources to do it quite like I can.

You said "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." and this is a little confusing for me.  It's not like ViaSat is all I can get.  I live above San Jose and there 36 ISP's in San Jose alone, many of them have wireless service. I'm hoping for more favorable weather conditions to install a new system that features symmetrical gigabit service for just a little more cost than my ViaSat Voice alone cost me now.

As far as doing something that will effect 100's of thousands of users, it could only result in an improvement.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
While I can't speak for Chaim, I believe what he's saying is that he believes Viasat adopted this new policy to offer the best experience possible to the majority of its customers on Viasat-1 with the emphasis there on majority. He and I, at least, probably take the official response offered by Brad on January 23 at face value:
From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers’ service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy to ensure the best experience for the majority of customers on our network.  We have also notified any customers who are impacted by this change by letter and email.  
There is some evidence to suggest that Unlimited subscribers affected by this change number at most approximately 43000 (from the 3Q 2018 Fiscal results -  i.e. for the period ending December 31, 2017 - therefore limited to Viasat-1)

No numbers were ever provided for the number of Freedom subscribers but we do know for a fact it was a limited offering.

That same quarter's residential subscriber count showed 577,000 and an ARPU of $68.23 further suggesting that those high end plans affected even if taken together represent a minority - my guess would be somewhere in the 100,000 neighborhood and at that  time probably somewhere upwards of 450,000 subscribers on "limited" plans. But we don't know the real numbers behind the decision

As I previously mentioned elsewhere, this is an admission by Viasat that those 150GB plans on Viasat-1 were ill conceived and counting the Viasat-2 chickens before they hatched. The capacity just wasn't  there nor sustainable on Viasat-1. It was probably apparent prior to the official launch of unlimited plans on Viasat-2 and reflected in the lower data usage thresholds from the start on the new bird. With no significant movement to Viasat-2 (due to fear of lower thresholds there), things just deteriorated more rapidly for everyone on Viasat-1 and the 150GB party is over. 

I see this simply as an attempt to stop the bleeding as we head toward Viasat-3. I guess it's better to have a 100,000 or so folks pissed at you than 450,000 or so.

But I could be wrong. It's just a guess and opinion and either way some transparency by Viasat would seem to be in order, not to mention an apology to those negatively impacted - but don;t hold your breath on those.

Take Chaim's comment from that perspective I believe.

I keep hoping that this is simply a bug in the algorithms, that we'll all wake up tomorrow with a dead witch under the house and it was all just a bad dream - because I don't believe this was the anticipated result but my interpretation of the Network Management Policy changes suggest that it should have been.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
I disagree with Brad. On SOME beams they have problems.  My beam (369) is probably less loaded that the one Steve Rice is on.  Where's the "majority" gain from messing with me? or anybody on lightly loaded beams. 

This thing about counting VS-2 chickens is all hog-wash too.  It was that Hughes had Jupiter-2  and ViaSat wanted to play "We can do it too, so don't switch."  I said back then they were bluffing and won't be able to supply what they didn't have, but offered it anyway.  Remember, ViaSat made those plans in the thick of "congestion" but a competitor with a new, fully open satellite is a formidable opponent.  ViaSat had to do something to keep a mass exodus from happening and those plans were what they went with.  I knew ViaSat wouldn't be able to provide for the new plans, especially the 25Mb plans so I didn't go there knowing I probably would never see the 25Mb but 12 was do-able on this beam.

Today, subdividing the allocation is the name of the game.  Only problem is, that puts higher numbers of subscribers online at any given time, resulting in the congestion ViaSat is so famous for experiencing... as long as they can actually lure more subs in the near future, otherwise they just alienated a lot of customers they could have just kept servicing until VS-3 goes operational.

I must go to town now or be late.  I'll check back tonite for any other ideas some may have.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
It wasn't Brad, I'm sure he's just the messenger as am I but I speak for myself. Pretty sure Brad can;t speak in official capacity, that one was carefully worded & tagged with the official response emblem. The policy had to be applied to all Freedom and Unlimited subscribers on Viasat-1 - they could probably have included beam by beam disclaimers I suppose but that wouldn't be practical. I'm one of those who benefited on an historically overloaded beam so I'm as biased as you are. I try to offer logic not emotion though. I actually sat down today and printed of both the 6.3 and 6.4 versions of the network management policy to compare them side by side - the intent of the change is pretty clear, the execution may have failed.           

Like I said a guess and opinion - take it for  what it's worth... 2 cents. I was really just seeking to clarify your failure to understand Chiam's comment and how I took it. He may disagree with my assessment.

I won't be back - I've had my say. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
IDK what this all was about, but I am willing to bet there are not hundreds of thousands satisfied users. By all accounts Viasat has a little over half a million subs.

Read the reviews and ratings about Viasat on the internet. They are dismal. Now you might say only those with complaints post reviews. A certain amount, yes. But for the ratings Viasat gets...not good.

So for people satisfied. That's great. Wish you the best. For people not satisfied, I also wish the best in finding an alternative. One solution for one customer might not work for another. If I could get a Viasat-2 high density spot beam, I am sure I would be satisfied. But I can't, so i will move along and see what else i can find. I just know what I was getting was unacceptable, so on to something else.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Conclusion, ICF installations and CAF pilgrims needed more bandwidth, which has nothing to do with meeting the needs of the majority. "...to ensure the best experience for the majority of customers on our network," is tap dancing rhetoric which does not address these incoming CAF pilgrims, and increasing ICF installations.

In short, pseudo rhetoric that "won't fool us again."
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Pretty sure there were a number of investors that made a lick with Bernie Madoff. They would have defended him too until the house of cards came tumbling down. Looking back, some benefited for a while.....
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Pretty sure there were a number of investors that made a lick with Bernie Madoff. They would have defended him too until the house of cards came tumbling down. Looking back, some benefited for a while.....
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Who's defending anyone? I would and have never consider investing in Viasat.  I benefit form that change with better  evening speed - rarely do I use it during prime time, but I'm the exception and many are relegated to prime time use. Even then I see it as fleeting since Viasat is now back to selling Unlimited Silver Plans (100GB) to new customers on my beam which is why I'm actively pursuing other options. I assume your "better" Liberty experience hasn't caused you to reconsider your plans, neither has mine.     

Statements of fact and opinion are not defenses and I think Viasat blundered badly on this one.

A better analogy from your perspective might have been Enron and suspect Chaim's "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is in reference to some who want to see Viasat taken down along the lines of if I can't be happy then nobody can - Enron's collapse resulted in a lot pain for others not simply investors (like their employees).
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Not you specifically, but including you in general, yes.

My analogy still holds. Taking from some to pay or give “more to others”, just to do it again. Ponzi scheme. As you rightfully point out, back to selling unlimited plans again.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
FWIW, that Unlimited Silver 25 (100 GB) is new as of February 15 and appears limited to areas where Liberty Plans are offered (presumably Viasat-1). It is not subject to the policies affecting the pre-February 13 2018 plans. The difference between it and the other SIlver offering is the 100 GB threshold.

Maybe it's a bone being tossed to those impacted, or simply a way to lure more new customers. Stack it up directly against Liberty and it appears attractive for someone not digging deeper. Undoubtedly there will e some takers and we'll go round one more time. Would be interesting to see if offered to existing susbscribers through their portal without switching birds.

I could snag it by simply dropping NRTC and becoming a new Viassat customer but think I'll pass - not even worth the call to my NRTC provider to see if it's available to me through that venue - they don;t respond to email  ;)   
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Silver at 100 and Gold at 150 wouldn't be bad, if it universal.

Another annoyance with Viasat. Not all named plans are created equal. Silver in one place could be different from silver in another.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I show no plans in the portal today. Call for consultation.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I didn't give you pricing - click to enlarge fine print ;)

To me Liberty 50 still looks better (with free zone and ability to turn off Video Data Extender when needed) - but hey "unlimited data" sounds awesome - maybe just new customers with all the inmates gathering round chanting fresh fish as they arrive here at Shawshank - my money's on the tall drink of water with the silver spoon being the first to crack.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3179 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
I see that now the Silver Unlimited 25 plan is being offered in beam 314 now, $150, with 480p quality. This shows up for both new customers and in my portal. I see trouble brewing on the horizon here. It will help stimulate this forum with more not so happy subscribers who just don't understand the limited "unlimited" concept.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
It's almost like they freed up some additional bandwidth to expand other plans and increase prices.

Imagine that!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Nope absolutely wrong. It was clear the additional bandwidth was to maximize the experience of users of lesser plans (mostly Liberty).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
It has nothing to do with the experience. It is a corporation. It is all about generating more revenue.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
It's being done to show how successful the drive to end unlimited and Freedom was.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
I hope you read mine with sarcasm.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Gotcha:)

Or we could just say corporate greed. Lol
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
See you at the Verizon Conference of Champions ;)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Speaking of that, Bev been awful quiet. I know she had 150GB priority "unlimited". Haven't heard from her. Of course her truck driving husband might be using a prepaid wireless unlimited plan now.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
My experience has been that Bev has always taken extended absences every now and then - maybe she has a life ;)  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Viasat's history is one of a company that attempts to serve the best interests of their customers...hence, Viasat listens.  When Viasat bought Wildblue, Wildblue had most all beams stuffed, due to its owners who were essentially investors.

Overtime, Viasat turned around previous satellite practices of stuffing beams, but had one glitch when IFC business needed them to get a toe-hold on this market.  VS-1 has been "a “really high IRR [internal rate of return] – kind of venture-capital-ish high IRR returns."

Anytime a policy change happens, typically, it must be applied evenly.  Future increases in revenue will mainly come from CAF-II pilgrims and IFC business.  The pilgrams will come from these states, and will/can be using augmented beams, VS-1 beams, and/or VS-2 beams:

AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, MT, NM, OR, PA, UT, WA, WI, WY, and WV.

Consequently, Viasat being mostly an engineering company, whose engineers can crunch bandwidth requirements for each beam, what plans offered now should offer customers a decent/good experience.  Those 150GB plans offered on VS-1 came before knowing the outcome of their CAF-II bid, August 29, 2018 .  It's rather doubtful corporate has not planned ahead with a 'plan B' if CAF-II outcome happened.

If one examines how institutional buyers have bought Viasat stock, at chart below, I think its clear they don't perceive the sky is falling.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Dear God you are misguided. Having a good business model and being customer friendly aren’t necessarily intertwined.

It also wouldn’t be the first time investors ended up with a dud. GE was in all likelihood the greatest company in US history. Where’s that stock now?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

GE - "General Electric plans to cut 12,000 jobs in its power division as the
industrial conglomerate's new CEO institutes sweeping changes and the
company grapples with a decline in business for coal and natural gas
products.....The company said coal and gas product sales are down because of
"overcapacity," lower usage, growth in renewable energy and other
factors."

So, where's the stimulus for Viasat's downfall?  Bandwidth demands have been a increasing market place, where more/more "demanded" has been the norm for consumer users since Tim Berners-Lee's invention of the of the World Wide Web,
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
It’s called Low Orbit Earth Satellite Internet. Sears didn’t change with the times fast enough either.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley...yes, Viasat is selling their earth dishes to at least one of these companies.

But, bandwidth requirements for connected vehicles and self-driving vehicles will grow/grow.

LEOs will be serving the more robust markets....Viasat's hotspots have been gaining a foothold, which LEOs don't have, and most likely, never will sell to many individual consumers in those countries where sat based hotspots exist.

Most all Mom-n-Pop stores perished with advent of supermarkets.  Economics was the issue....competition brings about lower prices, but what's the price and how big the data bucket will be a big factor for who wins or perishes.

So, what's the price and plans for LEOs?  Not theoretical...sky in the pie ideations.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Latency will determine the winner. LEOs win. ViaSat at best will be the redundancy for government and military. No self-driven cars will ever operate with a 3/4 second delay (I hope).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Self driving vehicles require updated roadmaps...latency is not the issue.

Latency affects gamers and VPNers...price determines winners and loosers.  Just ask Walmart.  Economically, Viasat is in a better position, than LEOs currently.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Don’t believe self-driving cars need to ever stop on a dime?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Yes I believe they would, but I would hope that would be an on-board function not requiring internet connectivity.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Commercial GPS is also not that accurate (intentionally).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Agriculture GPS can be accurate to around one inch with RTK signal correction.  With ground based RTK corrections,  satellite signal drift is completely eliminated.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 107 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
wondering were is old labs
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Sometimes you have to just be observant.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Photo of Casual Observer
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Sure seems like were headed to tractor talk again...
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Got Clams?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

This is one of their concerns....OEMs are using Digital Millennium Copyright Act to prevent them from working on their tractors electronic equipment

John Deere Just Cost Farmers Their Right to Repair | WIRED = The ability to maintain their own equipment is a big deal to farmers. When it’s harvest time and the combine goes kaput, they can’t wait several days for John Deere to send out a repair technician. Plus, farmers are a pretty handy bunch. They’ve been fixing their own equipment forever.

Only reason why consumers can work on their cars/pickups is due to EPA.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum....
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
If anyone doesn't believe TWEEZERS won't do anything. You guy's better watch out. Good day! :3