@ ViaSat, take -2

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged

Either you are an ISP or you're not.

I can't even access my email because my speed is so slow.  I tried to perform a speed test and my speed is so slow the site thinks I don't have the Internet.  It was 11:00 am and now again at 2:35PM.  What time can I expect to have Internet service today?

I purchased 150GB of priority data this month @ 12Mbps and I'm not getting anything.

I did the standard re-boot of the system, router, computer, etc.  Modem readings are all normal.

What ever money you think you'll make doing this crap to your customers will cost you in multiples of millions of dollars, I GUARANTEE IT.

I'll bet you within 60 days you will lose at least 7 Form 13F level investors, perhaps on the same day.  Take that to Shawn Duffy and ask him if pissing off a Silicon Valley investor/customer with friends is a good thing to do or not.  I have an investor presentation to make at our next meeting and it will show ViaSat's true colors and it aint pretty.  My presentation will be passed around... a lot.  There are other investment groups that will be interested.

I think the money is better trusted to Elon Musk, seriously.

Do you think you're funny doing this?  I'll show you funny, you're going to prison.

I'm dumping your crap so-called "service" [sic] soon enough and until the switch is made I expect this system to work at least at a usable level.  

Here’s my speed test from today, twice.

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
  • Like you're screwed

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
And I don't like having to use a 4WD to go up a mountain so I can post here with my phone.
Photo of Doc

Doc

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes sir, I am a Customer also. I'm also a Disabled Veteran 100%. The wife and I moved to a place out of town where I can relax don't like a lot of people. Any how about the only provider we could get was Liesat. They told me it would stream movies NOT. They told me I could log on to talk to my doctors WRONG. The four gig is faster than the GOOD FOR NOTHING internet. PISSED off Iraq vet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Thank you for your service. I hope you find internet that meets your needs.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Thank you for your service disabled vet. It should incest almost anyone that a good bulk of the people VIASAT is fleecing is people on fixed incomes that moved to the country for more affordable housing. They cannot afford to spend money on items that don't add value to their lives. Everyone is expected to have usable internet these days.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 624 Posts
  • 234 Reply Likes
@Doc  ...Being a disabled vet,  you should  try to get your Senator or Representative interested in your story.  If you can do that,  you might be able to get something done!!
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 33 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
@Al Santayos
You said above "It should incest almost anyone that a good bulk of the people VIASAT is fleecing is people on fixed incomes that moved to the country for more affordable housing."

How do you know that he has a sister?
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I misspelled "incensed" and went with the auto-correct without paying attention.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
I'm guessing he meant "incense".
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
And I don't like having to use a 4WD to go up a mountain so I can post here with my phone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2649 Posts
  • 1380 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
He is soon to be an ex-customer. I don't think it matters to him.

Besides, if you call a plan "unlimited" and you cant do basic browsing because the speed is too slow, sounds like false advertising to me.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2649 Posts
  • 1380 Reply Likes
I’m just trolling. Two months ago my standard questions meant something. If a person had priority data left, they certainly should have had usable speeds.

These days priority data means nothing. Viasat slows down whoever they want. Honestly, I’m surprised they haven’t slowed me down yet.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
This is my plan, this is how much I've used.  It would have half as much but I had guest that watched a couple movies.  I don't use the Internet all that much and yes, I could have a much smaller plan, but I bought this one.  They could have went about this business of getting people off their plans a much better way, but thugs are thugs and those guys are gangsters.  

(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
@  VeteranSatUser

I will be a former customer and one of the better things about living in California is the courts have ruled 3000X damages is NOT unreasonable.  Viasat is getting the bill for everything I purchase to obtain a working Internet connection, as my claim for damages from this fraud perpetrated on me, and I want the full 3000 times in damages. The radios alone are $1000  each for 2, unless I need 2 more to relay down to my home.  How nice ViaSat is here in California since out of state subpoenas are such a hassle.  Crime victims do not need to go to arbitration.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Keep us posted!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
For sure.  If ViaSat wants to send me an email for any purpose, they'll need to speed-up my connection so I can get it.  At least it's pretty up here.  I have a place to stay here tonite where my phone will work.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
There was another gentleman from California on here. He was active a month or so ago. Very upset about the plan changes. He went the wireless route I believe. Haven't seen him on here again.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
Of course he's not coming back.  As it is written, "remember Lot's wife."
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
TWEEZERS!!! I TOO WANT AN UPDATE ON THIS SITUATION ON THE FORUMS ALSO!!! :D Don't forget about me also :3

P.S.!!! I thought you weren't going to not come on the forums again like you said in your last topic you created??? :l o.o TWEEZERS!!! YOU LIED TO ALL OF US!!! SHAME ON YOU TWEEZERS!!! NAH!!! JK JK JK XD :3
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
That was when this thing was just limping along.  Now, Google goes to time-out every time.  I can't see how slow it is because the speed test sites time-out.  I'm typing this on a phone, up high, because at home my Internet is for all intents and purposes, dead.  Tomorrow I will dig out a 56K modem and see if the phone will work in a dial-up mode on ViaSat Voice... but I really don't expect it to work, and I pay for 12Mbps and 150GB per month, as you can see I haven't even used 22GB this month.  You must understand Deku, I have no Internet service, yet I pay $149.96 a month for ???  I cannot connect to any site of any kind at this speed.

(Edited)
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
Yes I understand you're current situation now TWEEZERS. (I was wondering if Viasat was going to do this to you) To be honest TWEEZERS, If Viasat acknowledge of what I posted onto this forum. (As you can tell and everyone else can tell) Why haven't they done anything about it? What I mean by that is, It's basically Viasat is not doing nothing about it. But just put acknowledge onto what I posted.

Seems kinda shady if you ask me TWEEZERS. (Also to everyone else out there also) But I hope you can sort this out soon TWEEZERS! I really do hope you do as you say onto this forum.

I'm on both of you're guy's side. Viasat and TWEEZERS side.

Who's going to Win? Is it going to be Viasat who wants to degrade people's speeds and force them to go to Viasat-2 because they aren't capable of releasing some of the bandwidth that they give to the military and higher? Or will it be TWEEZERS who is going to fight for his human rights and as a consumer in court?

Even though I'm on both Viasat and TWEEZERS side. I'm not choosing side's. As for me. I'm going to grab my Soda, Food, Snack's that I can rig up to and cigarettes then kick and back relax and watch the show begin.

So, VIASAT VS TWEEZERS!!! WHO IS GOING TO BE THE WINNER OF THIS DEATH MATCH???

Good luck to both of you guy's! It'll be real interesting to see this!!! :D
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1715 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
TWEEZERS?  Did I miss something?  
Photo of Deku Izuku

Deku Izuku

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Dont call him TWEEZERS!!! ONLY I can call him that. NO ONE else cant. Thank you ^-^
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2427 Posts
  • 2156 Reply Likes
Yeah GabeU, you should have known better....
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe

One might use Kenuki
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1715 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
I see.   
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2427 Posts
  • 2156 Reply Likes
Just to clarify things...

"A villain who is aiming to usurp power in an aristocratic house uses a fiendish trick to make it seem like a princess has been struck by a mysterious illness that makes her hair stand on end. As a result her betrothal is postponed. A faithful retainer of the lord of the house, Kumedera Danjo, notices that a set of tweezers stand upright of their own accord and thus deduces that the villain concealed a magnet in the ceiling. The plot is foiled, the villain revealed, and the marriage goes ahead as planned. The Tweezers was revived by Ichikawa Sadanji II in 1909, with a script by Oka Onitaro."

The Tweezers Kenuki
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1715 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Those darn Tweezers.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
But does Deku understand Otaku?

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
I'm holding out hope for SpaceX and OneWeb. Some folks on this forum dismiss these companies, but I've realized over the years that you can never doubt Elon Musk. He's got the drive and the ambition to do whatever he wants.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Not sure about that.  He seems to have a lot of issues. 

He is the Richard Branson of America, that is for sure.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Musk may have issues, but he gets things done. If it weren't for SpaceX we wouldn't have reusable rockets and we would still be using the Russians to send satellites into space.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
When you hang with a woman who has also been associated with Johnny Depp, one must question ones sanity :).
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
lol @Vet
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
SpaceX, with his support, has done way more than NASA ever dreamed. Besides, I don't know of any man who would turn down a night with Amber Heard.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Check out a movie called "The Informers". Never seen her as attractive after that one.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Amber Heard?  Eh... she's alright.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Amber Heard?  Eh... she's alright.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
I guess GetSat agreed with me.  LOL. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Investment is exactly Viasat's problem now. They are trying to get investors to look at the APRU growth over subscriber growth. Investors sure love the growth of income from the government and the airline business but it's been made painfully clear that the government business is short term and there's only so much room for growth in the airline and other business industry. Investors aren't comfortable with the low subscriber growth. Viasat recently won an FCC auction to be a provider of rural internet to select geographic areas. All rural. They will get a big chunk of FCC money from the connect America fund and they will have to provide services with specific quality requirements (much better service than any of us are used to.) A number of service providers that participated (Such as verizon fios) have been labeled as "ready to authorize", Viasat is not on the list. There actions could be to prepare themselves for the FCC. In the select geographic services areas that they will be the provider, they have to take any and all subscribers that come forth. They will have to provide Average daily speeds of 10 mbps (or what ever speed they agreed to with the fcc higher than that.) Once Authorized if authorized, they will have elevated subscriber growth and quickly. It's all a carefully stacked house of cards to attract investment.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Ron. I can't remember the plan you are on. I doubt you can get wireless in those hills down there either.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes

Whereas I like the way Elon Musk does business, I'm more inclined to go with Deutsche Telekom AG, or for us here in the USA, T-Mobile
I'd like to see their 600Mhz system in a lot more places, like... everywhere.

ViaSat can just dry up for all I care anymore.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald Stricklin

Viasat is diversified, consumer revenue is one part of total income.  Currently, they have $498M of liquidity (cash on hand).  J P Morgan Chase & Co and other large investors have bought and sold shares.  They also have future contracted work, like for next several years.

Just recently, January 3, 2019 Viasat expands Carlsbad headquarters, highlighting tech and beach vib....The campus expansion is being driven by the company's growth. Revenue increased 24 percent for the first six months of Viasat's current fiscal year to $956 million.

If VS has been shifting bandwidth, as I suspect, I belive its most likely due to IFC business. Which means the bean counters approve...and IFC customers are consistent patrons. If I knew all of the VS-1 beams affected by policy update, I could evaluate if CAF was related on not. I suspect IFC business was the main driver.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1760 Posts
  • 1070 Reply Likes
The article shows what a wonderful company ViaSat is... all so happy-happy.
Well, they do purchase a lot of Keysight test equipment so I'll be alright for awhile.  Notice there was no mention of Residential customers?  There's a dark side to ViaSat that nobody talks about.  What if some light were to be shed on that part of the company?  You know... like exposing the groom has abandoned children from a previous acquaintance that he doesn't even acknowledge, let alone support.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J

Bean counters are looking out for investors interest...IFC, Hotspots in Mexico, and CAF consumers  I suspect are the focus now. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J

Article was written by their home town newspaper, where Viasat, and a few other employers have been good for their community. Viasat is not a "local" business there, but brings monies to that community from elsewhere (government, aircraft, etc).

I still believe traffic programming is the issue for those affected, if 24x7 throttling exists.

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Actually Vet sat I'm waiting for them to power this cell tower a quarter mile from my house. Tmobile 600mhz will be the first provider, So I'm kind of waiting on that 600 mhz Launch.That will be sometime after July of this year. There's room for 6 total on the tower.  Jab, if labeled "ready to authorize" by the FCC and once they get the money related to it viasat will have specific requirements that they will have to maintain in specific geographic locations. They will have to take all customers in those areas. There terms of service will have higher standards. Folks will be getting alot more than the average customer for a cheaper price. They will have to maintain consistent Average speeds of 25 mbps.  J&J Tmobiles plans are to become a fixed broadband provider with wireless, with the sprint merger, covering at least 50 percent of the country with broadband by 2020 or 2021. Which its unclear if or how these plans will change if the merger fails.

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Actually Vet sat I'm waiting for them to power this cell tower a quarter mile from my house. Tmobile 600mhz will be the first provider, So I'm kind of waiting on that 600 mhz Launch.That will be sometime after July of this year. There's room for 6 total on the tower.  Jab, if labeled "ready to authorize" by the FCC and once they get the money related to it viasat will have specific requirements that they will have to maintain in specific geographic locations. They will have to take all customers in those areas. There terms of service will have higher standards. Folks will be getting alot more than the average customer for a cheaper price. They will have to maintain consistent Average speeds of 25 mbps.  J&J Tmobiles plans are to become a fixed broadband provider with wireless, with the sprint merger, covering at least 50 percent of the country with broadband by 2020 or 2021. Which its unclear if or how these plans will change if the merger fails.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Ron. Sounds like you will also be an ex Viasat customer shortly and have more suitable internet for your needs.

Congrats!
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

Viasat has been sending out US Mail to those CAF related consumers.  I'd sure like to know  plans & pricing.  I'm aware of VS-1 beam 363 was affected by this policy change, which may suggest strongly that CAF was responsible for this policy change, in that location.  Viasat is an engineering company, and crunching numbers is practiced.  The 150GB plans were in place before VS "won" that FCC subsidy.  Unless each CAF consumer is fully aware, I have no idea how FCC monitors them.

I've never seen specific details for Viasat's CAF requirements, but I know VS-1 does not shine in MT, ID, NM,  UT, and most all of WY; so augmented beams are being used....which means upto 12Mbps, but upto 20Mbps is also possible during non-primetimes.

Viasat's CAF States - AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, MT, NM, OR, PA, UT, WA, WI, WY, and WV.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Ron,

A quarter mile from your house?  Sheesh!  There will be no problem getting a signal, that's for sure!  Lucky bugger.  :)  

And that 600mz service looks promising.  It will be nice when it comes here.  If it comes here, that is.  

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Honestly you could hold your breath on this one safely Gabe. Tmobile has complete coverage of the US with the 600 mhz network. This will be a primary part of their 5g network and specifically for rural areas. The major thing is waiting for some tv stations to move from those air waves.
Jab while we lack the exact specifics we know the general range of things. The requirements of average consistent speed at the speed viasat bid on, which last I viewed was baseline broadband speeds, or 25 mbps. The pricing must be reasonably comparable to rates in urban areas. They "won" the bids. They haven't yet got been deemed service ready or received the funding. Vet I hope to not only be an ex-customer soon but I have in the next few years everyone will be able to do that as well.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

If this document is examined, there was a baseline performance expected. I'm not going to skim thru it, but I know from previous years, performance was based over a period of time, like say over 24 hours.

This below represents the minimum requirements...so these pilgrims will be getting 150GB data bucket.

As can be seen from this performance weighted tier, an ISP bidding here can not deliver 1 Gbps 24x7, but they can deliver 2TB+  Hence, performance is based over an interval of time, with allowance for primetime blues.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
13. Phase II support recipients are permitted to offer a variety of broadband service offerings as long as they offer at least one standalone voice plan and one service plan that provides broadband at the relevant performance tier and latency requirements, and these plans must be offered at rates that are reasonably comparable to rates offered in urban areas.18

18 Each Connect America support recipient must offer voice as a standalone service, but may separately bundle its broadband offerings with a voice service. USF/ICC Transformation Order, 26 FCC Rcd at 17693, para. 80.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@J&J

Turn on Video saver...see if it makes a difference

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Jab, the auction is long over. Those are the speeds that could be bid on. Viasat has already bid on a speed. Baseline. Which is 25mbps. If you are trying to contradict me some how, you are a poor researcher. If you are trying to ask me questions, I'm not your teacher.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

A contradiction, is always a contradiction, and without VS's and/or FCC's scripts, speculation tends to be the modus operandi..

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

Basic problem in US is ISP mice need to be tamed, as they are now in Britian

Brit ISPs must now offer customers a minimum speed guarantee -

Providers will also be required to provide customers with a realistic peak time (8-10pm for home users and 12-2pm for businesses) speed estimates; Ofcom's own research found that, in 2017, average download speeds for residential customers were 34.6Mbps during the 8-10pm peak period, compared to average maximum speeds of 39.1Mbps.

If a customers' broadband speed drops below an ISPs' promised guarantee, Ofcom's new code will give ISPs one month to improve performance before they must allow customers to walk away without paying a penalty.
======================

Last I knew, Viasat does not spell out in Mbps what users should expect.

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
There is no contradiction. You are a poor researcher. There is no speculation that Viasat will have to offer speed of at least (not upto) 25 mbps. This is the speed they bid on. They will have to offer a cap from 100 to 150 gb at minimum (100 under special circumstances. The specific tests to show compliance are not yet known, but the results of those tests must be maintained for 10 years. The penalties are known. The CAF funding due will be heavily penalized. The speculation is if Viasat will be cleared to receive CAF funding. We'll see.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
As of 2/28/19, it appears Viasat is not on "ready to authorize" list, and "other winners that meet all requirements to be deemed “ready to authorize” will be included in a future public notice."

"Taking away" ("throttling") VS-1 plans with 150GB does suggest VS-1 beams will be used, but all states listed suggested VS-1 and augmented beams will be used...if FCC approves.  Viasat could have multiple bids, depending upon which state/territory was involved.  If you look at the list of those "ready to authorize, there are multiple bids for some of those who bid, which means they were bidding in a given area for each bid.

In ten years time, I suspect wireless carriers will be more entrenched in rural areas, with better plans.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
10 years? It is already happening now.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
This is propaganda I know, but Viasat's presence in the residential U.S. internet market is definitely threatened. Co-op's pushing fiber, wireless carriers with more robust plans, etc. You can definitely see why the company is transitioning to other countries and focusing on commercial internet in the air. Viasat isnt stupid. They know where their five year plan is headed.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/new-t-m...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
When VS customer base is offered a local broadband option, once they switch, its highly unlikely they will come back to satellite.  Where I live, 2 rural telcos have installed fiber since Exede days, and a WISP has upgraded its equipment; both of these options are cheaper, and have "unlimited data" unless extreme usage exists.

As Simply Wall St noted yesterday, "It would therefore appear that Viasat, Inc. pays Mark Dankberg more than the median CEO remuneration at companies of a similar size, in the same market."  And the same is true-overpriced plans-for many sat customers who are paying higher rates than "offered in urban areas."

5G service will bring about much better unlimited plans for those within reach, but better tech has come along for increasing current cell towers 4G capacity.  Within next ten years, Viasat and Hughes will have to lower prices, or leave consumer sat business.

As based upon design lifespan, Anik-F2's life is over, and WB-1 in next several years. When VS-3 is operational over US skies, I can only wonder how many consumers will use it.  Without offering plans where consumers can stream OTT services during primetime then, I suspect those with land options in the future will be gone.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I agree
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

Here's the list for Ready to Authorize Long-Form Applicants and Bids, and as can be seen, multiple entries exist for same company, and each entry represents a given area.

Getting information via local news sources can be misleading, when generalizing it to all of US. It's best to get this information from actual company involved, or FCC.

I've always wondered how much per installation is VS getting...or any other bidder's. It seems "we the public" are in the dark here, and cellphone users and telephone users are footing the costs for these auctions via taxes paid on these devices.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald

One source indicates, "Of the 713,176 locations funded, nearly all of them (711,389 locations—all but 0.25%) will have at least 25 Mbps service availability"  But, another source indicates, "more than 99% will have service at speeds of at least 25 Mbps available," which means 1% or 0.25% get the slower 10Mbps, and a conflict of info.

WISP, Fiber, and Very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line (VDSL) are capable of 25Mbps plus, but VDSL is for city folks.

When Hughes/Viasat's satellites are designed, they focus upon expected revenue returns...that's why VS-1 shines in selected areas.  MT, ID, NM, UT, and WY were not targeted markets for VS-1., but Viasat bid in these states, which have augmented beams.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
This is propaganda I know, but Viasat's presence in the residential U.S. internet market is definitely threatened.
HughesNet, too.  If/when that happens and customers start leaving, all it can do is get better for me.  Less people on the system can only be good for those remaining customers.  And, if enough people leave, they may alter the plans to entice more people.  It may not work, but if it happens, that will be even better if I'm still with them.  

With that said, if true, reliable broadband comes here, though HughesNet's been great for me, I'll dump them in a heartbeat.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gabe...Sats have a lifespan....ViaSat offered Yonder ISP service to aircraft/marine years ago.  Viasat is aware of these FCC auctions, and knows rural folks have been offered more/more fiber/wisp ISP options in various locations. Their bean counters have surely factored in decreasing consumer sat users.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Let me help settle the debate for you, Jab. Go directly to the source where you can find the actual results in the FCC's Public Reporting System where you'll find raw data on assignments, bids, round info and statuses:

https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/auction903

Feed the full results that can be downloaded in CSV format into your favorite spreadsheet and then crunched to your hearts content to support your narrative.

Then we can all move on from your attempts to defend your honor from Ron's poor researcher claim.

TL;DR

Simple number crunching and filtering on the assigned bids and assigned packages shows Viasat was only assigned Baseline, High tier (>= 25Mbps, high latency) despite Viasat having bid on Minimal, High tier (>= 10 Mbps, high latency).     

Let it go... everything else is pure speculation that overlooks the fact that Viasat will have 3 years to achieve 40% build out once approved. Viasat-3 should be up and running by then.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I could say the same thing about some of the post on here. If a person makes a post and nobody reads it, does anybody care!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
You and me both!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
The tree was heard to weakly exclaim "I'm good" on falling - but you had to be there.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO....Viasat-3 should be up

Speculation....
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 165 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
VSU said:
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
I could say the same thing about some of the post on here. If a person makes a post and nobody reads it, does anybody care!"

So what does it imply when there are reportedly 577,000 residential customers but almost none of them participate in this forum?
a. Almost all of them are happy, or
b. Almost none of them know about this forum, or
c. Almost all of them know about this forum but believe it has  no relevancy, or
d. Almost all of them want exclusively customer service to fix their problems, or
e. Few of them even recognize when they have problems, or
f.  Most of them have just given up.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Yes my bad, is scheduled to be up... better Jab? Or are you still going with the pilgrims arriving on the Mayflower theory? Rhetorical question - no answer required, but am sure you will feel compelled to do so while switching swim lanes.
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 624 Posts
  • 234 Reply Likes
@M.E.M. .... Most likely?   Some combination of the above!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Ronald has made assertions with no sourced "representations"  For instance, Ronald stated,

"There is no speculation that Viasat will have to offer speed of at least (not upto) 25 mbps."

"Will have to" is not the same as "plans to offer."  Further, Viasat could have had at least one proviso inserted, due to the nature of a satellite launch and in-orbit operation.  VS-1 did not launch as planned, nor did it operate as planned.

Unless Ronald has seen all of Viasat's or FCC's paperwork, his claim above is unsubstantiated.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@M.E.M....So what does it imply

1. School teachers are not required to teach their students about how to make consumer complaints.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Correction VS-2
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Of course there was a basis for his claim, you even provided it to him with your own  reference to this document where you cherry-picked a single row of the performance tier table while also stating "I'm not going to skim it" - try skimming it, better yet try reading it. Particularly note paragraph D12 immediately above the performance tier table and it's description of the speeds as minimums not to mention the use of "greater than or equal" - apparently that means up to greater than or equal?   
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Before Judge Roy Bean, he listens....but otherwise, "When you "make a bold statement", you express an opinion in a brave way. It might be "bold" because the opinion is uncommon or controversial. It might also be "bold" if there's a strong possibility that your statement will be wrong.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum... virtual ignore list engaged. Feel free to reciprocate.
(Edited)

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
I haven't made a bold claim. I claimed that viasat bid for baseline speed in its territory. Baseline speeds are 25 mbs and the document that CO just posted shows that Baseline speeds are 25 mbps. The detailed auction results show the speeds that viasat bid for are baseline speeds. As I've said, you are a poor researcher. It doesn't actually matter much what evidence anyone shows because you are going to pick a tangent and bring up irrelevant details, such as above where you use pre-auction details to mention that companies bidding can bid for speed below baseline. The auction has already passed. It's over. Viasat bid to offer baseline speeds. They could have bid to offer less than baseline speeds. AT&T for instance is offering below baseline speeds on AT&T fixed wireless in the areas it's already receiving CAF funds for. I am not your teacher.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Hi Ron.  When do you think you will be transitioning away from Viasat?  I haven't used it for over a week now and am quite satisfied so far.  You said a tower would be close to you soon? 

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
The Towers built, there's nothing on it but a blinking light atm.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Once built, it will be commissioned quickly.

Michael McDowell

• 624 Posts
  • 234 Reply Likes
Not necessarily!  I can show you a tower that has been setting about half finished for 20 years.  I think there was some kind of zoning problem a while back and this tower was started so it would be "Grandfathered" in and could be finished if it was ever needed.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
That is a little different situation. Now the license for my rural tower was in place for 3+ years. There was a dispute over the license, but that was before its issue. When they started building it, it was then online in about 45 days.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I know of one tower for AT&T that stood "tall" for a year before it was "crowned."

I would suspect all wireless carriers equipment is contracted, and equipment OEMs keep inventory to bare minimum.  In past six years, I know this antenna tech has evolved, with newer models delivering more bandwidth per antenna set.

John Deere learned a number of years ago to make higher dollar equipment when a customer steps up to the plate.  Most likely, the same with Viasat, they produce large sat dish(es), when contract is signed, and funding is expected.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
February 13, 2019 - FCC says 600 MHz clearing is ahead of schedule....The FCC’s Media Bureau said in an update that the spectrum clearing and repack “is off to a very strong start on all counts ... . Significant progress has been made, and the transition is ahead of schedule both in terms of the number of stations that have already vacated their pre-auction channels and the amount of 600 MHz spectrum that has been cleared and therefore made available for use by wireless auction winners. ... This deployment is now a reality in many places and is underway in many others.”
The bureau noted T-Mobile US’ ongoing build-out of 600 MHz spectrum as evidence of that reality; the carrier made major investments in 600 MHz in the incentive auction and has been touting the low-band spectrum as a foundation for its future 5G network. The incentive auction, the FCC noted, repurposed 84 megahertz of television spectrum for wireless use and raised nearly $20 billion. A 39-month, 10-phase transition period was set for stations to shut down or be repacked. The FCC said that 41 stations permanently went off-air as a result of the auction, and 104 others have implemented or are implementing channel-sharing arrangements, with another 30 broadcasting on new channels.
================

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Ronald Stricklin...... Towers built,

T-Mobile’s $50 home Internet service has no data cap, but plenty of limits -
50Mbps home service is invitation-only and faces slowdowns when 4G is congested.