"Other Network" Being Broadcast Out of Viasat Router

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Acknowledged
My Viasat has been off an on for weeks, we have had 3 service visits and it is still not continuous. I see "Other Network" with 5 bars when we are having issues, does anybody know what that is? We live in a remote area and it is not our neighbors... they are simply too far away.
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
During times when the wifi is not working are you able to get a connection via ethernet cable connection?

What color is the light on your modem during a problem episode?
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No.  I have a router that we used in a different house.  I connected via ethernet and had the same outages.  Connected it when it was out and no internet.
We have had all blue when it is out and we have had 2 blue and one purple when it is out. I used an extension cord to connect to another outlet, no improvement.  What is "Other Network" I think we have competing networks or something.  I have unplugged wireless printer, unplugged satelite TV (Dish) still have "Other Network" when it goes out.
Photo of Joshua McCurry

Joshua McCurry

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hidden sounds like the SSID isn't broadcasting.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2409 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Walt,  Send an email to viasatlistnes@viasat.com with your account and contact information or call Customer Care at 855.463.9333 and allow them to troubleshoot your issue with you.  
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I tried that email and it failed. Didn't type it just tapped it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2239 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
It should be viasatlistens@viasat.com 

The last part of "listens" in Diana's post got messed up.    
(Edited)
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I guessed that might be it and resent the message.
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have called at least 4 times. The tech has been out 3 times. What is "Other Network" and why am I seeing that showing up. I think this is a major clue.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Next time that happens click on the "other network" and see what's offered..you can also right-click your network icon in right-lower screen near the clock and use the options there to further investigate what's happening..it sounds like you're close enough to some signal (wireless) from a tower or from a neighbor for it to show up in your connection options..

Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, we are not close to any neighbors or tower.  It comes in with 5 bars strength.  I have tried to connect.  SSID "Other Network" gets me to a password screen but I am stuck there.  Please keep thinking.  Could the Viacom router have an additional SSID?
Photo of Don Rybak

Don Rybak

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Walt, what are you considering as neighbors too far away?  I have a NetGear Nighthawk router and it's visible for right at 900 feet across my pasture where there are no obstacles.
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
5 Bars signal strength. One neighbor is about 700 feet and the other is up over a hill at least 1000 feet.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
When you are online, go to 192.168.100.1
Note the Status of the values 
Maybe make a screen shot

When your service is not online go to same address
What is different?
Photo of Don Rybak

Don Rybak

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Walt, you mentioned that you had an external router but is your modem WIFI capable too?  Is it possible the other network you're seeing is the modem if it is unless you have disabled the WIFI on it.
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have a Viacom modem WITH integrated router, we  have my netgear router unplugged and out of use.  We only used it with ethernet cable to try and diagnose router or modem.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
"I have a Viacom modem WITH integrated router."

Do you mean you have a Viasat modem/router?
Photo of Walt Buttrill

Walt Buttrill

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 427 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
OK Walt, try this:

Right-click your network icon, wait for the red "X" to show over the icon...then right-click the icon again and select "Connect to a network"...what are the names of the networks that are shown in that pop-up?