. It is by far the worst internet and phone service I have ever encountered

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
I have had this service for less than a month. It is by far the worst internet and phone service I have ever encountered. Calls to tech support are useless,the slow speed and constant dropping off the internet connection. Internet It has stopped 4 times while writing this message It is unusable junk. When a person pays for something they expect it to work. Disgusted !
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Feel taken , lied to.

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much data have you used for your current billing cycle?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Sure sounds like too much!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Also, when you say this is the worst internet provider ever, are you comparing Viasat to another satellite internet provider?
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, but what difference does that make. poor service is poor service.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The internet stops constantly. The phone has skips is conversations. You have to repeat something 3-4 times to be understood. Calls to tech support have done nothing to resolve the issues.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
There is a huge difference.  Would you complain that a McDonald's hamburger doesn't taste like a Ruth's Chris Steak?  After-all, beef is beef.

DSL/Cable internet and satellite internet are very completely different technologies.  Coming here to compare Viasat to Huesnet makes sense.  Coming here and comparing Viasat to land based internet does not.

Back to my first response, what plan are you on and how much data have you used for your current billing cycle?  Once you answer these two simple questions we can get an idea if your problem is due to equipment failure or not.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I am curious. If you had good internet service before, why did you switch to satellite? Any research at all will tell you that satellite is only for those who have no other options or really bad DSL. Almost any land based service is better than the best satellite.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I moved. I had Spectrum before. I went with ATT's bundle for tv phone and internet here.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
He isn’t answering any questions other than telling us his phone and internet service is the worst. Honestly, we don’t even know if he is using Viasat phone service or a third party service such as Skype or Vonage.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Is your phone from AT&T?
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
viasat excede
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
viasat 9798 and excede
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Bundling strikes again! But anybody that goes from cable to satellite internet is not going to be satisfied. While both provide internet, the difference is night and day.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2889 Posts
  • 1828 Reply Likes
jim, what plan are you on, and how much data have you used this cycle?
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That may be true, but a person would expect it to at least work. Slow or not.  I'm paying for a service that does not work. Period !
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It has not worked right since the day it was installed, had not used any data use as it was new.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
If this is how you answer questions when you call for support then there is a reason your issue hasn’t yet been resolved.

What plan are you on and how much data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Stephen Rice. FYI, The 3 times I called I was very polite with them on the phone as I always am. Do you get paid to defend their terrible service?  The system doesn't work. OK? It does NOT work. Don't answer me again unless you have something constructive to say about how to remedy the situation.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
I give up. I’m tired of trying to help. One of us could have pointed you in the right direction an hour ago had you simply answered two simple questions.

There are two scenarios for your issue. Either a device on your network used up all of your data the first day you had service or you simply have a bad install.

Once again, what plan are you on and how much data have you used for this current billing cycle?

It is impossible for anyone here to determine why your service isn’t working if you can’t answer those two questions.

Goodnight everyone.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 412 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
If it hasn't worked from day one then it sounds like you have an installation problem. Ask for a service call and don't let the tech leave until you all can verify that it's working properly.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you, that's what I was thinking too. Bad install or faulty eq. I'll be calling them again for a service call.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Is your Directv connected to Viasat? You definitely dont want that! If it is, disconnect it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
If so, then that is where all of his data went and why he has horrible service. Of course we will never have an idea whether his install is the issue or not until he tells us what plan he is on and how much data he has used.

I don’t know why I keep reading this forum. It really is like bad crack.
(Edited)
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, separate dishes, separate systems, no problems with Directv at all. Just phone and internet problems.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Do you get any on demand content from Directv?
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, none.   Liberty 12-wifi+free zone 12 gb data allowance.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Now we are getting somewhere.

Is your computer connected directly to the Viasat modem with an Ethernet cable or are you using WiFi? There are known issues with the WiFi modems.

And seriously, Liberty 12 is an excellent plan but those 12 GB of data can get used up really fast if one of your devices pulls an update, specifically a Windows 10 computer.

Can you sign into your account and see how much data Viasat says you have used for the month?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Sounds like he burned data in no time with Liberty 12.

And still not for sure Directv is not connected. Separate dishes mean nothing. If Directv is connected to your network, that is a problem.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
If he won’t check his data usage maybe he can run a speed test tonight and another one in the morning. Comparing a primetime speed test to an early morning speed test is another way to tell if this install is good or not.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The directtv was set up 2 days before the viasat installer came here. No problems with directtv
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Can you run a speed test tonight and post the result?

www.testmy.net is a good test site.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
He burned through 12GB's in the first day!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 263 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
DirecTV by default is connected to WiFi and will use all your data in one day.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 263 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
DirecTV by default is connected to WiFi and will use all your data in one day.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
current data use 6.6    I could answer you more quickly if the internet didn't stop every 3-4 min
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
he direct tv was up and running before viasat even came out here
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
If you have only used 6.6 GB of data and your internet keeps cutting out then you have an issue with your equipment.

One last question, does your computer work any better if you turn off WiFi and connect to the Viasat modem with a network cable? If it still has the same trouble then you are going to need a site visit to get things fixed.

You mentioned calling tech support a few times already. Did they not offer to send a tech out?

I could be wrong but I think you get free service calls during the first 90 days of service.

If they still won’t send a tech out the next time you call support, send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com with your name and account information. Be sure to reference this thread. That email address goes straight to corporate and they can help get a tech onsite.
(Edited)
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
They never suggested sending anyone out, but said they would work on it "from their end" The last call to them dropped out, because I had no internet or phone.service. They never called back. Terrible customer care.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Definitely send that email. Corporate has some good people that can fix your installation problem.

Now I just wish we would have had enough information to have made this conclusion two hours ago. Lol
(Edited)
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Since starting this thread, I have had to reset my internet connection 26 times. It will only work for a few minutes or so before I need to reconnect to the internet. Sometimes it will go a little longer, maybe 5-6 min .
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 412 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Jim, do you have a more reliable way to call Viasat? Maybe a landline or cell phone?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Viasat probably tried to call you but couldn’t get through because of your internet failure.

I’m all honesty, even after you use up your priority data, your Viasat phone should still work.

Send that email and corporate will hook you up. Honestly, they would have chimes in by now but I suspect everyone is still hung over from last night.
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
My landline is the viasat/excede phone. I will call them by cell phone next time
Photo of jim

jim

• 19 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Probably so, I'll call them again in the AM, by cellphone.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
It sounds like trying a direct cable connection to the modem is warranted. And maybe powering down the DirectTV equipment to see if that makes any difference. I am surprised the installation tech left before verifying service. My tech was going to help me create my account, but I had done that ahead of time when I got the installation reminder email. So, we ran a couple of speed tests and checked a few web sites with a browser to verify proper operation before he left.

Did your installation tech not check anything or verify operatioan before leaving? That’s sounds very odd.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
When you log into your modem, what do you see under the modem, IFL and Tria statuses? It would be curious to see your TX and RX power and SNR, your cable resistance and attenuation and the module status shown at the bottom of the Tria status page.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
The minute a person mentions bundling, then you question the quality if the installation, no doubt done by a Directv subcontractor.
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
It MuSt Be DiReCtV, bEcAuSe It’S NeVeR vIaSaTs FaUlT.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 412 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Viacrap, did you bother to read the other posts in this thread? It very well could be a bad install, which indirectly or directly, would be Viasat's fault. I guess you'd rather spam the forum with your useless crappy posts.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
There is plenty of blame to go around. But anybody that goes from cable to satellite internet is going to struggle, no matter how good the service is.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Viacrap can’t write so why would you expect reading ability?
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 24 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Vetsat I was just pointing out how you said there Is no doubt it directv’s fault.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
When did I say this is was the fault of Directv?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Not sure I said it was Directv's fault, but some of their installers are notorious for bad installs.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Before the original poster answered my two original questions, it was very difficult to even have a remote idea of what the problem was.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Stephen, yes it is very hard to troubleshoot with some people. And often it is hard to know if they are really too ignorant to be able to answer the questions, simply being obtuse on purpose or someone who, as is all too prevalent in society today, simply wants to. complain and find someone they can blame for all of their problems.

I am still waiting to see if there is a response to my query about modem, IFL and Tria parameters. That might give some clues. I find this forum a little hard to follow since it doesn’t have a quote option for replies insofar as I can tell.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
I think at this point, there is no reason for the original poster to go into the modem interface.  It is obvious there is a problem with his install, and even if he looked at his parameters it would do no good.  Only an onsite technician will be able to resolve his problem.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
And what sort of installation problem do you think he might have?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 412 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
Could be dish out of alignment, bad tria, bad modem.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
That is for the service tech to determine and resolve.  We know the issue isn't due to the customer's usage.  That means someone needs to come out to fix his problem unless there is a magic button to be pressed at corporate. 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
fmj77, I agree completely which is why I would be looking at the statistics the modem shows for things like TX/RX power and SNR as I suspect they will show abnormalities if the alignment is off (power for sure) or the hardware is getting flaky (SNR might be affected). And if there is an issue with the cable having a bad termination or maybe a break in the insulation that let in moisture, the IFL DC resistance and/or attentuatoin values likely would be affected. As a retired EE, I tend to start looking at things I can easily see when a system isn’t working properly. I am not an expert with satellite systems, but the Viasat modem provides a fair bit of self-health information. With intermittent faults, It is very helpful if the end-user will capture some of those statistics during the time the problem is presenting itself as well as when things are working properly as this may provide the tech with clues that they won’t see first-hand if the system is working when they arrive.

You can certainly take the stance of “It isn’t my responsibility to help fix the system, it is the tech’s job”, but that often prolongs your pain. Hey, your call, I am just trying to offer some suggestions to help get to a resolution more quickly.

And when capturing the data is as easy as typing an IP address into a browser and taking a few screen shots...
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Stephen, I disagree. For intermittent problem, the service tech may have no way to resolve it if they never see the problem when they are onsite. If I am the one paying the price for a faulty system, I take responsibility for my own situation and do what I can to try to help find a resolution. I realize I am old school though and the norm today is to whine and complain and blame all your problems on someone else.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
You bring up a good point for intermittent problems but you are missing one small detail.  The issue is not intermittent.  According to the customer, his service has never worked properly.  I'd say having to restart an internet connection 26 times in a day counts as something other than intermittent.  Whatever is wrong, it is major, whether it be an improperly pointed dish or a bad modem.  Give the installer a chance to go back and correct whatever is wrong.  Thats his job.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I had at least that many DSL disconnects a day almost every day. The trouble is that they happened mostly during the evening from 5 - 11. The techs work 8-5. See the problem?

It is up to the OP if he wants to be passive and wait on a tech or take just a smidgen of initiative and less than 5 minutes of time and check a few easily checked things. Doesn’t matter to me. I’m simply not the passive “victim mentality” type. When I have a problem that is of any importance to me, I do what I can do to troubleshoot while waiting for the tech to arrive. Especially when all it involves is typing an IP address into a browser, clicking once and taking a screenshot. Takes me all of 10 seconds for each system element, at most 30 seconds for all three.

But I realize I am not the norm in that regard.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
The original poster’s issue isn’t limited to primetime.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
If the original poster were only having problems during primetime and not during the day, then his issue would be due to primetime congestion, not equipment failure.
Photo of mark

mark

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sorry stephen , via sat sucks , misleading speeds , overpriced, and the only reason theres a contract is because no one would keep this shit . 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 412 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
No Mark. Works great for me. I stream and download stuff every day and it works perfectly. Maybe your installation or something with your setup sucks.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
Entirely untrue Mark. I have been with Viasat nearly 15 years. My contract has long since expired. I stay because Viasat provides what I pay for.

The biggest problem I see is a failure to read the agreement and other legal information as well as the help and informational articles Viasat provides. Read everything and, you'll understand better what to expect and, why certain things happen and, most importantly, how and why satellite internet is nothing like cable, fiber, DSL, dial up, or any land based internet service. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
Until Mark tells us what plan he is on and how much data he has used for his current billing cycle, we will never know if there is a problem with his installation or not.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4058 Posts
  • 4145 Reply Likes
I want to know why he hasn't expressed an appreciation for "Suspicious Minds".

I'd also like to know how I'm even here with this:

Just think what it would be if I could clear the snow off the dish yet it's still enough to yield 3 Mbps down apparently. But I'm very suspicious of those stats - maybe I should try some 1080p streaming ;)

Some things are best left unanswered.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
Oh hey, your acts like mine in less than ideal conditions. Well, give 720 a shot, of late my UNLIMITED SILVER has been defaulting to 720 and, not buffering even though 480 is supposed to be the limit. Tests show video is still at 1 Mbps but, I'm getting 720 to run no buffering and, that isn't a one off fluke, it's every YT or Prime I pull up.

I'll leave it unanswered, it suits me just fine.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
Last night I was pulling 1.3 because of the snow on the dish. Modern lights say I still had a connection but couldn't get internet.

I have a long pole I use to bang snow off the dish. So I did that and the signal improved enough to get internet again.

Just the mysteries of satellite internet.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4058 Posts
  • 4145 Reply Likes
The garden hose hooked up to the kitchen faucet and blasting it with a stream of hot water using the pressure jet nozzle has done it's job  just barely covering the 25 feet to the dish off the deck- undoubtedly I've violated some Viasat standard or procedure and voided my warranty. But I was really more interested in getting Dish TV back to watch the playoffs - playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs!  
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
Playoffs - the reason I'm glad the trucking company my hubby works for just lost the Fed Ex contract. Now he has to go back to being on the road instead of home every night. I don't have to watch the playoffs - not a football fan at all.

Makes me glad we rarely get snow here and, even if we do, it all melts by noon the next day 99% of the time.

Viasat needs offer home versions of those heaters they have for the gateways, at a nominal lease fee to those that have to deal with frozen, snow covered dishes. xD
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
That is certainly looking at the silver lining! I am glad my dish is only 6’ off the ground and that it is painted black and facing the sun. The snow and ice melts quickly if the sun comes out and is easily brushed off otherwise. That is one reason I would not want a dish on my roof.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3880 Posts
  • 2301 Reply Likes
My DirecTV dish is that way.

In the old days I took a blow torch to heat ice my Direcpc dish. It worked!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
Always - have to find that silver lining. Weather kills my internet - great time to roll more smokes, bake bread or a cake, train the wolfdogs or, take them for a run. maybe even drive into town and get dinner, see a movie, check out what's new at the gun shop, etc...

Power outage - excellent, I needed to drain the fuel and put fresh in my generator soon anyway. Nice and dark tonight, neighbor can't blast his fool karaoke machine tonight and, hey, I've got this whole redundancy thing going on so, my internet still works. xD
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I agree. Well, except for the rolling smokes part... LOL. Coffee is my vice.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
That's not a vice, just a good beverage - got a cup at my desk as I type. :)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 96 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Once past 8 cups a day, I think vice comes into play.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3207 Posts
  • 1388 Reply Likes
Shh - don't tell me that, this one makes 12 today. xD
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2430 Posts
  • 1240 Reply Likes
The good people at corporate must have had a serious party the other night.   I figured they would have recovered from their hangovers by now.  When oh when will they come back?