$200 for fast streaming?! No thanks. Ridiculous. I'll stick with SuddenLink.

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
$200 for fast streaming?! No thanks. Ridiculous. I'll stick with SuddenLink. Misleading commercial! 
Photo of Joe Strong

Joe Strong

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 328 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Never heard of sudden link but if it works for you, the old adag:  A Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush applies.

What is their plan?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3877 Posts
  • 2297 Reply Likes

Looks like a cable company that serves select areas.

Why give up that for satellite internet?!?!?!

https://www.suddenlink.com/our-company/areas-we-serve
Photo of AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• 32 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
a good friend in Cabot, AR has Suddenlink, he gets 50Mbps  24/7, it never slows down for him..
must be on fiber optic?

I can use TeamViewer on a very slow DSL into his PC, and browse the internet 10 times faster than on my own connection with AT&T
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1179 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
ViaSat isn't trying to compete with ground based services like SuddenLink.  It's not a misleading commercial if all you can get is dialup or no internet at all, which is ViaSat's target audience.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 416 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
I'm sure some DSL connections are worse than satellite, especially if you are on the outer edge of their service. My work is pretty far out in the sticks though and the ATT DSL we have works pretty good, except when all the employees are trying to stream Netflix at once.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2439 Posts
  • 1244 Reply Likes
I’m in one of those areas that is lucky to even have crappy DSL available. If I didn’t live so far from the phone company’s equipment I would probably feel different about AT&T dsl.

Here is an interesting tidbit that doesn’t make any sense. My parents live farther out in the country than I do and Charter started servicing their road about a year ago. The fastest plan they could get from AT&T was 3 mbps that would often cut out.

Since switching to Charter cable, my parents have a connection that is well over 50 mbps. Shoot, I think the cable company recently upgraded their service to 100 mbps at no extra charge.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 416 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
That is strange. Your parents are even further away from town yet they can get Charter?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1179 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
I tried to get Verizon to install DSL equipment in the access panel, which has a fiber line to it, at the end of my road.  This was four or five years ago, or maybe a little longer. I got nearly four dozen signatures on a petition, all centered around this box, and hopefully the phone line loop, and the engineer I submitted it to said it looked promising.  Unfortunately, before they got the chance to do it, the edict came down from on high that they were no longer going to bother with DSL expansion, and instead were now going to focus on fiber.  So, basically, that was the end of that, and the chances of getting fiber on my road is less than me winning the lottery.  :( 

Had I done the work and submitted the petition a year earlier it's very possible that I would have DSL access.  

I do get a cell signal, but the speed is not that good.  I'm not terribly far from a tower, but it's on the other side of a hill, so the signal isn't that great.  Three bars on a really good day if I hit just the right spot, but normally just one or two.  

I wash shocked when I was in the city one day and tried a speed test with my phone.  Over 40Mbps.  It was nice.  I'm lucky if I get 3Mbps at my house.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2439 Posts
  • 1244 Reply Likes
Yep. Strange indeed. When dad told me Charter came out and ran a line to their road I thought he was mistaken so I told him to call the cable company to see if they could install internet. He called and the next day he had cable internet.
Photo of AZgl1800

AZgl1800

• 40 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Timing is everything......
call last week, and get what you want,
call today, and "we can't do that"....
"can't equals won't "

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2892 Posts
  • 1829 Reply Likes
Plans are subject to change as Viasat works to balance the load on each beam.